Bare minerals and SPF

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Flamingo

Registered Shopper
I have started to get dark pigmentation on my forehead. I have yet to find a sun cream that I can wear under make up which I like. Also there is the issue of reapplication later in the day. I was looking at the bare minerals SPF 30 but also noticed that they do a mineral veil with an SPF of 25. I was wondering how effective the SPF is with this as I was wondering if it would be ok to use for later in the day when I don't want to re apply a cream SPF over my make up but still require protection. Have you used this and is it effective.

Thank you

I have started to get dark pigmentation on my forehead. I have yet to find a sun cream that I can wear under make up which I like. Also there is the issue of reapplication later in the day. I was looking at the bare minerals SPF 30 but also noticed that they do a mineral veil with an SPF of 25. I was wondering how effective the SPF is with this as I was wondering if it would be ok to use for later in the day when I don't want to re apply a cream SPF over my make up but still require protection. Have you used this and is it effective.

Thank you

I wear ultrasun face 30 under my bare minerals foundation every day from now until about October. It is fine as long as you give it a few minutes before applying the foundation. I use it as my moisturiser most of the time and only add my regular day moisturiser about every 3rd or 4th day when I feel I need it. I've done this for the last 3 years and I get lots of compliments on my skin.
Anything that isn't once a day will have to be reapplied. Any SPF that a make up product has is a bit of a bonus but frankly, it's useless after a couple of hours.

I also use Ultrasun face 30. I use it every morning as a moisturiser. I let it sink in for around 15 minutes and follow with a primer and foundation. I wouldn't be without it. I have a small amount of pigmentation on the top of my cheek, which has faded, however for me, any treatment would be pointless without using Ultrasun....Hope that helps x

Thank you

I have noticed a bit of pigmentation recently too, not sure why. I have a Mally Primer with SPF that I use in the summer but TBH I just use ultrasun face 30 when I am in the sun for a while. If I am stuck in the office all day I don't bother with an SPF at all.

My friend has recently been diagnosed with a vitamin D deficiency. She spends every day in court wearing foundation with an SPF and slathers on the factor 50 in the sun. Her doc told her to ease off the OTT SPF and gave her tablets.

I am stuck in the office until the school run at 3pm and so any SPF applied (I guess apart from ultrasun) would be pointless by 3pm and so that is why I was considering the mineral veil as I could just swoosh some on before I did the school run (I try to walk it so means I tend to be out in the sun for about an hour) I wear make up and so don't fancy applying a cream SPF over it before I do the school run.

Thanks for your replies.

My friend has recently been diagnosed with a vitamin D deficiency. She spends every day in court wearing foundation with an SPF and slathers on the factor 50 in the sun. Her doc told her to ease off the OTT SPF and gave her tablets.
I say better safe than sorry and the SPF in the foundation would wear off after a couple of hours anyway. Having watched my Dad's best friend, who was 39, die of skin cancer when I was a teenager ( he was ginger and never sat in the sun) I'm not prepared to take risks. My ultrasun face cream takes the few seconds I'd spend on putting my moisturiser on anyway. I'm surprised your friend's Dr thought she was OTT. To be honest, I don't think all GPs know as much as they should in advising people on this.

Last edited:
I say better safe than sorry and the SPF in the foundation would wear off after a couple of hours anyway. Having watched my Dad's best friend, who was 39, die of skin cancer when I was a teenager ( he was ginger and never sat in the sun) I'm not prepared to take risks. My ultrasun face cream takes the few seconds I'd spend on putting my moisturiser on anyway. I'm surprised your friend's Dr thought she was OTT. To be honest, I don't think all GPs know as much as they should in advising people on this.

I don't think he was saying that she shouldn't use any at all, but he was not in favour of factor 50 from what she was saying. My friend is pale with dark hair and spends the vast majority of her time indoors, at work, home,gym or in her car.

Latest posts

Back