what is your average spend on a father's day gift?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

loveallthingsitalian

Registered Shopper
Flinty is up to her usual trick suggesting a 170 quid camera as a FD gift. I usually spend about 30 ish - am I a bit mean? I always spent a bit more on my mum when she was alive to give her things she would never buy herself and a bit less on Dad as he just buys what he needs.

I think it should be more of a token gift anyway with birthday and xmas being the main ones

I agree with you, this morning the lady doing the garden table etc said that she had bought her Dad the bistro set with colour changing table top, think that was about £150 or £170

Fathers day and mothers day in our house mean a home made card and token gift plus a meal out maybe.

I think you should buy whatever your accepted limit is for your family. My dad is in his eighties and several years ago he announced that he didn't intend to buy or expect to receive presents any more, apart from giving money to his grandchildren for birthdays and Xmas. This took a bit of getting used to but at least we all knew where we stood. We still send him cards for all occasions and tend to buy him a foodie treat for Xmas and he's quite happy with that.

Of course according to QVC we should be buying everyone and their dog a pricey present whenever the opportunity arises but I resist the urge :)

Just how ridiculous can the qvc presenters get? I will buy my dad a few special food items that he wouldn't buy for himself. He's in his 90's and doesn't need or want anything.

My Dad won't even get a card.
We just don't "do" either Mothers day or Fathers day in our family and never have, even when we where children I could never see what all the fuss was about. Why only tell your parents what they mean to you once a year??

I think you should buy whatever your accepted limit is for your family. My dad is in his eighties and several years ago he announced that he didn't intend to buy or expect to receive presents any more, apart from giving money to his grandchildren for birthdays and Xmas. This took a bit of getting used to but at least we all knew where we stood. We still send him cards for all occasions and tend to buy him a foodie treat for Xmas and he's quite happy with that.

Of course according to QVC we should be buying everyone and their dog a pricey present whenever the opportunity arises but I resist the urge :)

Ditto! Dad's 89 this year and told us the same...can't get used to not buying anything but sometimes put some postage stamps in his card, Lottery ticket or scratch card, but this year I'm in luck, his phone's gone on the blink so he's agreed to let me get him a new one - hallelujah!

We don't make much of it all in our family.I don't have my own mum and dad,I buy my MIL and FIL just a *token* gift - my MIL normally gets flowers or a boots toiletry gift set and my FIL gets a toiletry gift set or some sweets - both get a card,although one from us and the kids - not seperate ones ie to mum and then nan etc...seems really mean written down!!!! Its certainly never more than a tenner - and I've encouraged to the same with my kids - my DH and I don't want them spending their money on us - we normally get a card and sweets and we're happy with that.I cannot imagine spending DF's budget - don't even do that for christmas or birthday!

Quite agree, rainbowdottie, as long as I get a card from my teenage son, I'm happy. Of course, if he grows up to be extremely rich and wants to shower me with gifts in my old age, I won't stop him!

I think it's personal. It's really the thought and effort rather than the material value that counts. I'd rather have a cheap present (bar of 70% chocolate) than some awful Roses / Quality St / Milk Tray.

I've never bought a mothers/fathers day gift. The last mothers day card I gave was probably aged 11 in last year of primary school when you made them in class, and I'm sure we never made fathers day cards then, isnt that a relatively new day, probably manufactured by card shops?

I told my daughters several years ago that under no circumstances should they spend more than a couple of pounds on Mothers/Fathers day as it is just a money making exercise for shops and supermarkets and most of all Card shops.

Don't forget! You don't have to BUY a card. You can MAKE one. All you need is a cereal box, an Argos catalogue (for a bit of "décyewwwpage") and a Pritt stick. Of course some stamps, a pokey tool, stickers. glitter and velum and an annoying card pocket with a twist of ribbon will make it SO much more attractive!

Mothering Sunday is traditional. Fathers' Day is a modern commercial scam. When my parents were alive we observed Mothering Sunday - with church service, special lunch and a bunch of flowers - but did precisely nowt on "Fathers' Day".

£15 & my mother does not like it if I don't phone/visit before midday. I have told my daughter to save her money & a 'hello' is worth more than words can tell no matter what the day x

I am loving reading these threads as I sit here listening to Frank Sinatra records. I didn't know he did such a good cover of The Girl From Ipanema. It's almost as good as the original! I like his very expressive voice, but the original has a slight edge over him. Astrud Gilberto had a dreamy, detached delivery that I quite liked.

Don't forget! You don't have to BUY a card. You can MAKE one. All you need is a cereal box, an Argos catalogue (for a bit of "décyewwwpage") and a Pritt stick. Of course some stamps, a pokey tool, stickers. glitter and velum and an annoying card pocket with a twist of ribbon will make it SO much more attractive!

Don't forget the "gloobely eyes".!!! l (watch Mister Maker and you'll understand)

My children make cards for us at nursery. We keep them in our memory box.

When my parents were alive we really only sent cards, once Mum was on her own we'd possibly give her something from the M&S Magnolia range because she couldn't get to a branch to buy her own (about a £fiver at most). It's a tough day for those who've lost their parent(s), or those whose parents don't warrant the gushing sentiments and "best mum in the world" twaddle!
I'll drop hints to Mr Akimbo to remind him to buy a card for his Dad for father's day but I refuse to buy it for him; it's his sentiment to choose and they don't do a card that says "most irritating Father-out-law in the world" ! Trust me, I've looked!

Latest posts

Back