Do Body shapers really work?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Alishapez

Registered Shopper
Hi Everyone,

Is Anyone having any experience of body shaper products?

Last edited:
Such a hugh range of products and also a number of areas to target! What sort of items are you considering? I'm anything from size 8-12 depending where you buy from so generally a size small in clothes. I don't need a lot of support but like a smooth line under clothes.
I've tried on most of M&S stuff and haven't found anything that does the job in my budget. Pants either do the job on the waste but cut into your butt or give dig in below the belly button, or just don't offer any support at all.
Primark stuff as mentioned on other threads on this site seemed OK and value for money but I didn't buy any. Never seem to have a small enough size in store near me and quite long in the body so could pucker I thought but at those prices I would suggest giving them a go.
I've given up trying to find pants that really support the buttocks but the best I have came from QVC, a TSV from Slim and lift long line pants.Item 105955 but only available limited sizes now. Personally I would maybe buy a 2 pk the longer ones anyway 153320 at £40.45 inc p&p.
Waste wise the best has been Debenhams, £20 I think for one of those that goes under the bust and down over the hips. It has a tiny bit of boning so it doesn't ride up and keeps you gently sucked in;and it doesn't show under sheer fabric. I have a black one but they do a nude colour I may buy when I can splurge.
Bras without underwire are everywhere. Next do a thin strap slightly padded none wired bra for £12, just in black and white though;and unlike alot of these 'beauty bars with thick straps it doesn't show under everything.
I do like the the Ahh bras everyone does, I'm small on QVC but medium on idealworld.
Idealworld also do thin strap cami's (item 241 549 £9.99 on sale)I think are excellent that don't ride up on me any more than a cotton T and are great under sheer shirts or tops and do give a bit of a firmer support around the waste and gut. Just order in a couple of sizes to start and pay for a 'click and collect' return label at £1.50.
There's no short cuts with these things. Type of fit and comfort for our individual body shapes is so personal you do end up having to try on a gazillion things! Good luck. Hope you find what you're looking for, let us know what works for you.

I'm wearing a dress for work today (M&S not QVC!) so am strapped into M&S magic knickers and control top tights. I can thoroughly recommend these - smooth out all the lumpy bits on the hips. You do need to plan time in for comfort breaks though because it's a bit of a struggle and not something to be attempted if the situation is urgent - IYKWIM :blush:

I'm wearing a dress for work today (M&S not QVC!) so am strapped into M&S magic knickers and control top tights. I can thoroughly recommend these - smooth out all the lumpy bits on the hips. You do need to plan time in for comfort breaks though because it's a bit of a struggle and not something to be attempted if the situation is urgent - IYKWIM :blush:
Sounds dire - is it worth it?

All I would add is that it's bliss when you take them off

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I've wasted a lot of money on shapewear that doesn't make that much difference, rolls down, rolls up etc. My stomach still sticks out and I never get the results the models get - maybe because the models aren't overweight? I found some high waist knickers in Kays catalogue for about £20 and they are the best I've tried. Don't pay those huge prices for Spanx and the like as I don't think they do anything although they are "celebrity" endorsed (yawn).

CC

Save your money it is yet another sales trick. They have lovely slim women who don't really need this type of underwear. I can't imagine what it must be like to wear this stuff perhaps similar to a straight jacket. I find good well fitting clothes look good whatever size you are. Steer clear of clingy material and dress for comfort.

Save your money it is yet another sales trick. They have lovely slim women who don't really need this type of underwear. I can't imagine what it must be like to wear this stuff perhaps similar to a straight jacket. I find good well fitting clothes look good whatever size you are. Steer clear of clingy material and dress for comfort.[/QUOTE
The excess has to go somewhere! I don't like anything that constricts me and if it don't fit then I don't wear it. It must be so hot wearing shapewear in the summer too. I've recently bought some lightweight control camisoles from Idealworld but they are to wear in the winter to keep warm. They are long and will keep my lower back warm as I am getting back pain nowadays

Hi Everyone,

Is Anyone having any experience of body shaper products?

Hi have a lot of vercella vita and a few Spanx and swear by them for certain dresses, wouldn't be without them, I don't find them uncomfortable at all, I think you do have to find a brand that suits you and get the size right tho. I have tried high street like M&S, Debenhams etc and find them just awful! I really think you have to find what suits the individual, I think if your glad to get the stuff off it could be the wrong brand or item as the items I have I honestly forget I'm wearing them and the difference in my silhouette can be the difference between wearing a particular dress or not. I suppose its trial and error and each to their own but they are certainly not a "sales trick" how can they be when they work for so many!

i wouldnt be adverse to wearing these...i imaginen they can be a life saver...just dont like the "bandwagon" prices that some companies have...espeacially if the materials labour and sales do not warrant it ...

I suppose it depends on what you mean by "work". If you mean do they make someone who is a size 24 look like a size 8, then no they don't work.

I think something for smoothing out the lumps is good, but a big pair of knickers with braces and a hole underneath to pee through is horrible. Better to wear slightly loser fitting clothes and be comfortable.

Latest posts

Back