Alpha H and adult acne..

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Heya Iloveshopping. I'm glad the Roaccutane worked for you too. I had some open pores and had Fraxel dot CO2 laser which worked wonders. Most people think I look about 23! lol. Sometimes if I am going to an interview / presentation / important meeting I will use te most amazing product - Clinique Instant Pore Minimiser. It costs about £18 and comes in a little green tube. Though expensive all you have to do is dab a few dots about the size of a matchhead onto each cheek and just blend in, going over the nose. I have one really annoying pore on the left of my nose. Sometimes I just use one dot on pore and BAM! It's totally gone! As a tough, outdoors kind of bloke (albeit one with a torn rotator cuff / separated shoulder :( I never tell anyone about using these products! It's my secret!
I had the roaccutane treatment at the age of 36 having had acne since the age of 15. It did wonders. I had a second treatment about 18 months afterwards that knocked the acne completely though I think the second treatment has caused 2 open pores.

Heya Iloveshopping. I'm glad the Roaccutane worked for you too. I had some open pores and had Fraxel dot CO2 laser which worked wonders. Most people think I look about 23! lol. Sometimes if I am going to an interview / presentation / important meeting I will use te most amazing product - Clinique Instant Pore Minimiser. It costs about £18 and comes in a little green tube. Though expensive all you have to do is dab a few dots about the size of a matchhead onto each cheek and just blend in, going over the nose. I have one really annoying pore on the left of my nose. Sometimes I just use one dot on pore and BAM! It's totally gone! As a tough, outdoors kind of bloke (albeit one with a torn rotator cuff / separated shoulder :( I never tell anyone about using these products! It's my secret!
Thanks for the info re laser treatment. I have the clinique pore Minimiser but I think I bought the wrong colour as it shows white on the 2 pores. I use it occasionally mixed with liquid foundation. Think I need the medium shade.

Ah yes. Sounds like you went for the Invisible Light. You may benefit from going up a shade or two. Next time you're in a big department store go to the Clinique counter and ask to try them out.
Thanks for the info re laser treatment. I have the clinique pore Minimiser but I think I bought the wrong colour as it shows white on the 2 pores. I use it occasionally mixed with liquid foundation. Think I need the medium shade.

Hello posters. I either step in to make a snarky comment or like now I actually have something normal to contribute! I too have adult acne, and lucky me - have from 13 to 30.. The joy! But I after years and years of watching qvc and listening to everyone preach about alpha h and my sorta problems - well I have only just brought myself to buy the liquid gold and a few other pieces, and have just started. Having been using acne creams potions pills supplements and actually - lasers, lights ... Jesus if I think of the cost! Anyway.. A lot of stuff has gone on to my skin, so I am not surprised that it doesn't even tingle on my skin as it does most people.. But having been only a week of use so far, nothing so far except my skin purging. I'm bearing with as most new treatments start like this, but I'm hoping that after there is some progress! It's a lot of money no doubt, thirty quid for a bottle of who knows what and if it'll work on my skin.. But fingers crossed. From my years of watching the shows, reading the reviews online for years... I can only see that you have to try it. And over a couple mins of tingle? Take it off. Neutralise it with water and bicarbonate, and don't use.. Return it - thank you qvc! But if its ok, you can never know if it'll work unless you try it. And hey all us lovely spot folk I think know this - who ****** knows what'll work! Suck it n see! Good luck though to you, give it a try and do make use of the money back guarantee.. I'm going to for sure. I really hope it does work - but I'm jot paying if it doesn't! Years of preaching better be worth it!

@seesee. I was referred to a consultant dermatologist by my doctor and had my roaccutane treatment on the NHS. Perhaps you should visit your doctor. They will start you off on antibiotics and creams before referring you though. Fantastic treatment is the roaccutane.

Bless you fellow shopping lover - but I did all that - was on roaccutane at 16 and again at 26. no joy there sadly. It's been a fun journey and any change seems to be passing. Hey I'm not alone I know. Thank The Lord for make up! I tell myself we're all unique for our imperfections - and cratered pizza face is my unique selling point! No ... I don't mean that! I'm healthy, happy, lucky and loved so perfect skin isn't my biggest concern. But secretly it would be nice to see what it feels like! Cheaper on make up and skin care too!

Research has shown that people with sensitive skin generally are more susceptible to acne. I have always had very sensitive skin. I have to moisturise intensely for at least 2 hours before shaving and shave only in the evening so that the resulting reaction will have died down by morning. I was on Roacctuane twice. First time at 18, when they put me on 90mg/day which apparently was 3 times higher than it should have been. One day I was driving in my car approaching a roundabout when I went temporarily blind. That is why when I went back to the dermatologist 8 years later and they said Roaccutane was the only option I was like: NO WAY! I told them what had happened and they were horrified. They prescribed me 30mg/day which I took with some reluctance. I did not have one single side effect. No headaches, dry skin or depression. Just an improvement in my skin from week 1! The laser treatment in addition has worked wonders! Prior to going to the dermtologist the second time round I had seen several doctors and tried every product under the sun, hence I knew more about dermatology than some of the doctors! With me, I didn't have a classic acne, more of an excessive production of sebum that was quite extreme. Some of the acne products out there are ultra harsh and stripping. I would NEVER recommend using benzoyl peroxide / Clearasil products. I remember when I was at school there was this horrible advert with Daniella Westbrook from EastEnders (remember her?!) saying, "Spots? Just Oxycute 'em!" (In a really horrible voice!) Well I used to have to put up with that for 8 hours a day from some twats at school, repeating that phrase. For Christmas once I was bought a tube of Clearasil cream! Not in a nice way, but in a vidictive, nasty way. So many of them would bitch and say that I didn't wash etc etc, all of which was totally untrue. I probably washed more than the lot of them put together! I feel sorry for them now as I look fantastatic and they look easily 15-20 years older than me! They could not BELIEVE it was me when I walked into the reunion! lololol! One of them said: "Wow time has been kind to you!" I replied: "Well it would seem it was kinder to me than you were! Have a good evening!" and winked at them with a little smile!

If you want to use something with salicylic acid in, use the Visibly Clear 2 in 1 face mask / face wash from Neutrogena. It is a truly excellent product.
Bless you fellow shopping lover - but I did all that - was on roaccutane at 16 and again at 26. no joy there sadly. It's been a fun journey and any change seems to be passing. Hey I'm not alone I know. Thank The Lord for make up! I tell myself we're all unique for our imperfections - and cratered pizza face is my unique selling point! No ... I don't mean that! I'm healthy, happy, lucky and loved so perfect skin isn't my biggest concern. But secretly it would be nice to see what it feels like! Cheaper on make up and skin care too!

people with spotty oilier skin do have delicate sensitive skin and less is usually more. strange how companies sell very irritating harsh products for this skin type. even using a make-up brush will cause irritation. I never thought I had sensitive skin but having spent a fortune on high end skincare find that the expensive oils are very irritating. for me glycolics work as they are acid and spots in my case wont thrive on my skin if I use an acid/glcolic product in either a cream or liquid gold

Research has shown that people with sensitive skin generally are more susceptible to acne. I have always had very sensitive skin. I have to moisturise intensely for at least 2 hours before shaving and shave only in the evening so that the resulting reaction will have died down by morning. I was on Roacctuane twice. First time at 18, when they put me on 90mg/day which apparently was 3 times higher than it should have been. One day I was driving in my car approaching a roundabout when I went temporarily blind. That is why when I went back to the dermatologist 8 years later and they said Roaccutane was the only option I was like: NO WAY! I told them what had happened and they were horrified. They prescribed me 30mg/day which I took with some reluctance. I did not have one single side effect. No headaches, dry skin or depression. Just an improvement in my skin from week 1! The laser treatment in addition has worked wonders! Prior to going to the dermtologist the second time round I had seen several doctors and tried every product under the sun, hence I knew more about dermatology than some of the doctors! With me, I didn't have a classic acne, more of an excessive production of sebum that was quite extreme. Some of the acne products out there are ultra harsh and stripping. I would NEVER recommend using benzoyl peroxide / Clearasil products. I remember when I was at school there was this horrible advert with Daniella Westbrook from EastEnders (remember her?!) saying, "Spots? Just Oxycute 'em!" (In a really horrible voice!) Well I used to have to put up with that for 8 hours a day from some twats at school, repeating that phrase. For Christmas once I was bought a tube of Clearasil cream! Not in a nice way, but in a vidictive, nasty way. So many of them would bitch and say that I didn't wash etc etc, all of which was totally untrue. I probably washed more than the lot of them put together! I feel sorry for them now as I look fantastatic and they look easily 15-20 years older than me! They could not BELIEVE it was me when I walked into the reunion! lololol! One of them said: "Wow time has been kind to you!" I replied: "Well it would seem it was kinder to me than you were! Have a good evening!" and winked at them with a little smile!

If you want to use something with salicylic acid in, use the Visibly Clear 2 in 1 face mask / face wash from Neutrogena. It is a truly excellent product.

Well done at the reunion Julius. I know you will probably laugh and sneer at what I am about to say...but it's about shaving. My husband used to have a beard but shaved it off just before the "summer". We were expecting a massive reaction in his skin..you know those red raw bumps. So I suggested he apply the SBC propolis gel afterwards anda bit of Emma Hardie lighter lotion on top- I was about to chuck it as it is not rich enough for me. He did it and not a red bump in sight and no soreness whatsoever. We were gobsmacked! Serioulsly I was very sceptical about SBC products as most of them are pants. However long story short I bought a set with Arnica in to try for my children if they fell over and it also had a manuka and orange blossom body butter in for me which I like. It also contained propolis gel. I use it if we get cuts or spots and now husband uses it after shaving every day. He doesn't find the alcohol in it remotely problematic. I now find myself regularly using the propolis, arnica and aloe vera -as an after sun-gels from the range. Never thought I would like them in a million years!

Well as a bit of an update I've been using the Balancing Cleanser and Liquid Gold for a month now and I really could cry with happiness. As each day goes by the spots continue to fade, redness is reduced and my skin is much more balanced. It feels like the person looking back at me in the mirror is me again.

I know this range hasn't suited everyone, but I'm absolutely in love with it now and it really has challenged my skin for the good.

The reason I'm writing this entry is I just wanted to say a BIG thank everyone for their advice as I don't know if I'd have had the courage to try the range (liquid gold especially) if it wasn't for reading other people's views and experiences :)

Heya Liz, I had acne from ages 13 - 26. The Great Mystery, by Philosophy was the only product my skin seemed fine with. Avoid anything harsh / stripping as they only make the skin produce more oil. The only thing that got rid of the acne for me was Roaccutane and laser treatment. Had I not had those I'm sure I would still have acne now, at almost 30 :(. Nowadays I do a clay mask once a week - black mud, or Neutragena Visibly Clear. I still have and oilyish face but it's much better than it was. At school people were so unkind and it almost totally destroyed my confidence. However, at a reunion event a couple of years ago I looked great, youthful and radiant whilst they all looked leathery and lined! Hahahahaha!

Good on you!! ... I love reading things like that!!

Julius, I an cheering you on for that reunion, the tables had certainly turned in your favour.

Great to read your update Ellaaa, I went to my GP at 26 in tears having had acne from the age of 13 and he finally took me seriously and Dianette did the trick for me almost within the first month. Now I'm 50 Liquid Gold seem to work to keep my skin bright and smooth, but I can completely appreciate it won't suit everyone. Anyhoo I just wanted to say I'm glad you're getting a good result. (I'd have eaten raw onions like apples if it had improved my skin!)

Great to read your update Ellaaa, I went to my GP at 26 in tears having had acne from the age of 13 and he finally took me seriously and Dianette did the trick for me almost within the first month. Now I'm 50 Liquid Gold seem to work to keep my skin bright and smooth, but I can completely appreciate it won't suit everyone. Anyhoo I just wanted to say I'm glad you're getting a good result. (I'd have eaten raw onions like apples if it had improved my skin!)

I was put on Dianette at 15. My parents approved because they thought I wouldn't get pregnant which I didn't but I didn't sleep with anyone anyway. The Dianette didn't work along with none of the antibiotics (tetracycline) nor the creams which I stopped when I was 19 because it all seemed so pointless. Eventually at around age 34 I had the wonder roaccutane treatment.

Latest posts

Back