What nationality?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I always refer to myself as English because I was born here. My Mum was English and my Dad was Irish, so I'm more than happy to admit to having Irish heritage. If pushed, I will be British, but would prefer not to be.

I'm Welsh, not British. I always refuse to tick 'White British' on any forms, always go for 'Other' and add 'White Welsh'.

Andy Murray is British now :clapping:

And a Scot when he loses :tongue:

I'm part Scottish part Welsh and half of two other countries myself but I'm British because that's what the passport says and I've been around British people all my life from various backgrounds who have assimilated into the British way of life. I never call myself english even though everything about me on paper suggests I am and I've spent a considerable portion of my life living in England! My brother on the other hand was born in England so he tends to classify himself as english even though our heritage has no English bloodlines.

I am really happy Andy won. I am English, he is Scottish but I have no problem with both of us being described as British. Today was a win for British tennis, and Scottish tennis too. I have never ever said he was Scottish only when he loses, and I am probably in the silent majority of English tennis fans who are not bonkers enough to be so ignorant. Let's not get into the kind of debate that results in the phrase "chip on shoulder" and just celebrate Andy's fantastic win.

If I am asked if I am English then I would reply saying no I am Scottish. My nationality is British, that is what I state on forms when filling them in.

I am also Scottish and say so if asked (especially when abroad) but I also consider myself as British. My husband is English and also British. Heaven help us all if Alex Salmond gets his way and extradites us from the rest of the UK.

Latest posts

Back