BCC - what happened to half price?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Money raising is indeed the most important thing here: I lost my mum few weeks ago to cancer and my sisters little boy has leukemia.
I don't mind spending on a good cause, even if the items are not half price!
I think some customers only look at the bargain price and their wallet and do not think about the good cause behind it, that is typical for our todays society. I agree that QVC should not have advertised the BCC shows as that the items will be half price, as this was not the case
I hope that QVC will donate all the money to BCC. Charitable causes are normaly VAT exempt.

On a broader scale, I wish that our governements would spend more of taxpayers money on worthy causes, I am sure that a cure would be found sooner if not all the money was wasted on war, administration...... etc

I couldn't agre with you more Tia.
I'm so sorry you lost your Mum so recently, it must be a very hard time for you. My Mum is very unwell at the moment and I'm beginning to face up to the fact that I will lose her. I know it's something we all have to come to terms with, but it's very difficult, isn't it? My heartfelt condolences go out to you and I do hope your nephew makes a full recovery.

For charitable donations, I'm not sure how the tax/VAT issue stands, but presumably if the items are subject to VAT the 'net' remark takes into account that payment?

I noticed last night that Simon said something to effect of "If you buy this item for £x then all of the £x goes to BCC". Maybe they are using the term net to mean that the P & P charge doesn't go to BCC.

I'm not sure about the position with VAT but if VAT has to be paid on these sales there's nothing to stop QVC from footing the VAT bill themselves and giving all the sales proceeds to BCC.

Personally the fact that things weren't half price didn't bother me. If they can sell out at 2/3 price or whatever then the charity gets more money. I've never managed to get anything in previous years but I manged to get four things last night so that's great.

Last edited:
Money raising is indeed the most important thing here: I lost my mum few weeks ago to cancer and my sisters little boy has leukemia.
I don't mind spending on a good cause, even if the items are not half price!
I think some customers only look at the bargain price and their wallet and do not think about the good cause behind it, that is typical for our todays society. I agree that QVC should not have advertised the BCC shows as that the items will be half price, as this was not the case
I hope that QVC will donate all the money to BCC. Charitable causes are normaly VAT exempt.

On a broader scale, I wish that our governements would spend more of taxpayers money on worthy causes, I am sure that a cure would be found sooner if not all the money was wasted on war, administration...... etc

Very, very sorry to hear about your mum Tia. And I do hope your nephew's treatment goes well and he makes a full recovery.

Like you, I wish the Government would do more for Charities. It really annoyed me last night when the BCC lady said they get no funding especially when they run such an invaluable service.

Big hug
Cupcake.

There's nothing wrong with more than half price, but it is what tempts many in to buy. Especially as we are in a difficult financial time

I agree Andamooka. I have checked the qvc web site and am surprised that many of the BCC items are still available. I have in the past spent over £100 on a BCC night unfortunately nothing tempted me yesterday and I only ended up buying the pink earphones and the MOP pendant!

What really annoys me is why QVC cannot donate the p&p too! All the items on BCC night are given to qvc so the least (apart from air time)they can do is donate the p&p too!

I am sure years ago the items sold at full price and it was still a frenzy on the phones to get stuff as the money is going to charity its a WIN WIN situation as far as I am concerned, the last few years I have spent about £200 on the night but at least I have the knowledge that this money is going to a wonderful charity and I have some goodies to look forward to in the post as well :1:
I dont care that the items are not half price as it means more goes to BCC and to be honest a lot of the prices were still bargains and better discounts than an OTO.

Latest posts

Back