Where are Debbie Greenwood & Julian Ballantyne?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I agree that products pretty much sell themselves - we've seen endless arrays of eyewatering tat inexplicably flying out the door. As far as I can tell, once you've got your foot in the door you are there for as long as you want unless you really make a big booboo. That's good in one sense - they want us to feel that the presenters are old friends and it's to their credit that they don't get rid of ageing ladies (who are also large part of their customer base) but I think their quality control is sadly lacking both for their products and their presenters. Someone needs to get a grip and show some of them the door. If they're all on contracts then there should be no problem getting rid of them, no explanations required. It's only a brave few who will give up voluntarily - the money and the perks are too good, and lets face it, there are a few who would never have it so good again.

I agree that products pretty much sell themselves - we've seen endless arrays of eyewatering tat inexplicably flying out the door. As far as I can tell, once you've got your foot in the door you are there for as long as you want unless you really make a big booboo. That's good in one sense - they want us to feel that the presenters are old friends and it's to their credit that they don't get rid of ageing ladies (who are also large part of their customer base) but I think their quality control is sadly lacking both for their products and their presenters. Someone needs to get a grip and show some of them the door. If they're all on contracts then there should be no problem getting rid of them, no explanations required. It's only a brave few who will give up voluntarily - the money and the perks are too good, and lets face it, there are a few who would never have it so good again.

I wonder if the 18 year olds who seem to run Q feel it would be like getting rid of your granny if they chucked out the oldies.

Even the new "young" ones are not exactly babes in arms, but then shopping telly would be considered the graveyard of broadcasting by any self respecting serious broadcaster.

A person who has been on a fixed term contract that has been renewed (don't think it requires many times) is entitled to the same basic employment law rights as a permanent member of staff. So if they want to get rid, they have to do it fairly and make them redundant unless they can come to a settlement. In order to make them redundant there would have to be no job for them, so they can't just get rid and replace with new blood without good, lawful reason unless they want to be taken to the cleaners in an employment tribunal.

Time will tell or perhaps not:wink:

As I have said a few times, I doubt QVC would keep her blog up(even if she has not posted on it since June or when ever), if she had been sacked. It would have just quickly and quietly disappeared before anyone noticed.

Quite a few don't actually like her much, she might come across as sweet and friendly but it seems she had been rude to quests and T Callers. Personally I never even noticed she was not on air.

I assume, but don't know for sure, that the presenters are on contracts as consultants rather than employees. They all appear to run their own businesses alongside their QVC commitments. If that's correct then they will have a contract with clauses and conditions but they will legally be employed by their own company so it will be different to terminating a contract of employment. It may be just as complex and complicated to end their contract but if they are employed in this way then they won't have any employee's rights as such.

But as I've said. I don't know. I'm only guessing.

I got the impression, rightly or wrongly, she was the type who was so sharp she might cut herself. As a presenter she isn't the worst but they all start to irk if I watch too much. Since I only watch items that might interest me, I too, hadn't even noticed she wasn't on anymore. If she has gone, it's more her loss than ours, in my opinion.

I hadn't missed DG, I was never a big fan, if only they would spirit CR away I would be happy....lol

If her FIL is Ron Greenwood, um why is her husband's name Paul Caio (pronounced Koy) ?

I'm still reeling, if its true, that for part time work these shop assistants get £100 K ???? and for what, the fact they can talk ceaselessly on the attributes of a ****** torch in 5 colours !!!!!! No wonder the postage is through the roof, no wonder Franks doesn't know what a kitchen is and can afford to eat out all the time, and no wonder single Mum Huntley can afford a handbag in every shade !!!

I have always thought that DG comes across as false, likes to make a joke but with a sharp tongue. I also didn't notice she had not been on. Agree with Huggles that they do all irk after a while, as you start to look out for the things that annoy you about them.

I've never noticed Debbie being rude to people, she does have intelligence and a wicked sense of humour. The truly impolite presenters are Jill "you're so funny" Franks, Pipa "yeah yeah yeah" Gordon and Julia "they called their kid Luna" Roberts.

I wonder whether the perception of Debbie being cheeky to guests is a regional thing? When we first moved to the South coast from Lancashire my husband was told in his appraisal that his staff were adjusting to his Northern bluntness and he told his boss to remove this from the written review as it was racist (the chap blanched) - he was joking, but the Manc humour was a lost on him.

As I said on the Chuntley & Anna thread, give me anyone who can speak articulately over the sound-bite numpties any day!

Perhaps we're reading too much into her absence. Maybe she's been at Q long enough to take off most of the school summer hols, her younger daughter is still high school age?

I have always thought that DG comes across as false, likes to make a joke but with a sharp tongue. I also didn't notice she had not been on. Agree with Huggles that they do all irk after a while, as you start to look out for the things that annoy you about them.

I think exactly the opposite; Whilst I have no feelings about her either way, as a presenter, I do feel that she comes across as being genuine, regarding herself as being no better than the people to whom she is selling. She has not attempted to escape her Liverpool roots and why should she?

If the QVC website is still showing their blogs, and have not issued any statement regarding redundancies/non-renewal of contracts etc. Perhaps the best thing to do would be to keep checking the QVC blog page.
I am sure that it is only a question of time before all becomes clear.

I think exactly the opposite; Whilst I have no feelings about her either way, as a presenter, I do feel that she comes across as being genuine, regarding herself as being no better than the people to whom she is selling. She has not attempted to escape her Liverpool roots and why should she?

Different people will like/dislike different presenters. We are both entitled to our opinion - the fact that it differs is fine, if we all liked/disliked the same things/people the world would be a boring place, as would this forum!

Latest posts

Back