Bare Minerals - once opened?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

miss molly

Registered Shopper
I did not order the TSV but was watching last night and lee said becuase they had no liquid in, unopened they have no shelf life but once opened it was 1 year is this true?

I believe that the shelf life relates to claims on SPF factor. The minerals themselves do not "go off". I'm sure I read that somewhere but then I tend to have a very (un)healthy disrespect for shelf lives.

Well, I dug out an opened pot yesterday... went looking for it as I suddenly had the urge to try it again (inspired by seeing the TSV).

I used it this morning - first time since I stopped using it at least 18 months ago (seemed normal enough) :sweat:... if you don't hear from me again, it was the Bare Minerals that got me...

I am fairly certain this relates to their SPF claim, as there is a stupid EU law about having to have an expiry date on products claiming SPF, so BM now have to have one on the foundation (which carries an SPF claim) but not on Mineral Viel, for example, which doesn't claim SPF benefits.

I've never understood how BE spf can go off (discounting label requirements). Isn't it a physical sun barrier rather than a chemical one which binds with the skin? Mind you, if it is just a physical barrier then it must be hard to say what level of protection it affords because people apply and buff different amounts. Or have I got this wrong, is the spf a chemical one in BE?

I will say it is to cover themselves against being sued. Its a US brand though now owned by Shiseido, but Americans like to sue at the drop of a hat. That is the real reason for the ready collection,a US TV doctor talked about inhaling the powder and lung problems over time.

I remember Lee saying years ago that the minerals never went off as they are a natural product with no additives now she says that they do go off so I would think it's down to them covering themselves against getting sued as Donna mentioned. The SPF in a product naturally reduces each year.

Well, surely if they're minerals, they've been around for thousands of years & not gone off yet.

Well, surely if they're minerals, they've been around for thousands of years & not gone off yet.

Yes laying in the ground not slapped on human skin. As I have said in other threads, Bismuth is actually a poison(yes someone got hung for poisoning with it). They mix the BE with other ingredients its not all just pure minerals, no matter what they tell you.

Latest posts

Back