Upheld Complaints Against Sit-Up - 24 July 2013

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Bingowings,

How did you get on with your complaint to the ASA with regards your comments which were dismissed over Gems TV?

Hi Paul. no response as yet. 4 of them they dismissed one they spoke to a 'contact at the channel' who said it wouldn't happen again. personally i thought it was a cheeky attempt to mislead. calling gold plated 'flash 9ct gold' and NOT mentioning it was plated at all.

thank you for your wisdom Greg. its quite moving to know there are still people who will take time out of their busy and fulfilled lives to bestow a little of their valuable knowledge on others. your rare breed Greg. a rare breed indeed

Speaks the women who has time to write posts the size of a war and peace sometimes ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

That's very interesting Bingo but yet again it's merely speculation on your part.

But the fact of the matter is the presenter clearly broke the BCAP in not one area but an incredible five areas. And unlike your post that isn't my opinion, nor is it speculation on my part.

It is a fact.

sorry. that bit needed to be in bold :yawn:

Hi Paul. no response as yet. 4 of them they dismissed one they spoke to a 'contact at the channel' who said it wouldn't happen again. personally i thought it was a cheeky attempt to mislead. calling gold plated 'flash 9ct gold' and NOT mentioning it was plated at all.

Gold plate & flash aren't the same thing though? a lot of people sell items listed as gold plate when in fact they are gold flash. imo decent sellers of jewelry will always list them as different as its usually a good indication of how long you can expect your piece of jewelry to last. Proper good quality gold plate is usually known as electroplate.

Last edited:
Cheers and listen Bings, don't hesitate to let me know if you want me to teach you what 'fact' means. I have a few weeks off soon.

Should be long enough.

wow. thats so kind of you Wirral and i'm sure you meant it to be. i know some may think it was a childish rude petty and insulting comment. but not me. i know your not that kind of guy.

Gold plate & flash aren't the same thing though? a lot of people sell items listed as gold plate when in fact they are gold flash. imo decent sellers of jewelry will always list them as different as its usually a good indication of how long you can expect your piece of jewelry to last. Proper good quality gold plate is usually known as electroplate.

it took me a while to work out it was actually plated. the presenter made no mention of it and on the graphics it just said 'flash 9ct gold' at first i thought "is 9ct gold that flash?" its not like 'flash' is a standard term or even a standard term for them.

On another note. i made a complaint about IW selling the Yonanas with the on screen graphics reading 'USUAL PRICE £59.99 OUR PRICE £49.99 YOU SAVE £10" They have never sold it for £59.99 and neither has anyone else. in the reply from the ASA they have claimed the £49.99 is a 'promotional price' for 3 months then it will be sold on all platforms of IW for £59.99. the ASA have accepted their explanation.

wow. thats so kind of you Wirral and i'm sure you meant it to be. i know some may think it was a childish rude petty and insulting comment. but not me. i know your not that kind of guy.

It's a genuine offer Bingo, your posts do indicate that you struggle to accurately distinguish between opinion and fact :happy:

it took me a while to work out it was actually plated. the presenter made no mention of it and on the graphics it just said 'flash 9ct gold' at first i thought "is 9ct gold that flash?" its not like 'flash' is a standard term or even a standard term for them.

On another note. i made a complaint about IW selling the Yonanas with the on screen graphics reading 'USUAL PRICE £59.99 OUR PRICE £49.99 YOU SAVE £10" They have never sold it for £59.99 and neither has anyone else. in the reply from the ASA they have claimed the £49.99 is a 'promotional price' for 3 months then it will be sold on all platforms of IW for £59.99. the ASA have accepted their explanation.

PMSL! Bingo, that is an absolutely lamentably weak complaint to make about IW, hilarious!! Are you honestly telling me you are not aware of a new product being sold at an introductory price? I have been telling you for weeks the price Bid sold Yonanas for was not the standard price. The Argos standard price is £59.99 but they are selling it for £49.67 with free delivery.

If you are so desperate to make a complaint stick might I suggest you keep watching Bid? I promise you, you won't have to watch for long before something worthwhile crops up.

Better luck next time Bings, you'll get there in the end kidder.

Last edited:

It's a bit of a grey area really as gold plate can be known as other things if it isn't actually electroplated (different process). Most of us would agree that any base metal covered in gold would be classed as gold plate, its just one of them common misconceptions that not many are really bothered about, electro"plating" is just one way currently used to bind gold to base metals.... there's gold flash, gold layering, gold filled, gold f&b.... the list is quite extensive.
Personally I would never buy gold plated item from a online channel as you don't know the thickness of the actual plate (how long it will last), but on the other hand knowing an item is gold flash you know its below that of plate so probably won't retain its colour/tone for very long imo.
Its handy if you know the terms used for gold coverage of base metals as you can then decide if the item is likely to last and if it is decent quality, some shopping channels give the thickness of the gold coverage (usually microns) which is handy.

What needs to happen on all channels is a list or explanation explaining the differences in gold coverage so we all know the correct terminology & understand the quality of what we are buying. Such as with Opals & the triplets... doublets etc.

PMSL! Bingo, that is an absolutely lamentably weak complaint to make about IW, hilarious!! Are you honestly telling me you are not aware of a new product being sold at an introductory price?

Yes when it is ADVERTISED as a promotional price. not as a SAVING

I have been telling you for weeks the price Bid sold Yonanas for was not the standard price. The Argos standard price is £59.99 but they are selling it for £49.67 with free delivery.

For a standard price to be established it has to be retailed at that price. if thats not the case then BID can easily advertise Laurelle as USUALLY £50 but today £9.99 just as long as at some point down the line the make it available for £50

If you are so desperate to make a complaint stick might I suggest you keep watching Bid? I promise you, you won't have to watch for long before something worthwhile crops up.

I dont need to Wirral. you seem to have that under control.

Better luck next time Bings, you'll get there in the end kidder.

[/B]

Oh Bingo. I feel your pain.

I fully understand that it must be disappointing that the Advertising Standards Agency do not take you very seriously. However, I hope it's a crumb of comfort for you to know that, and I hope I can speak on everyone's behalf, that we find your posts worth reading.

Last edited:
Oh Bingo. I feel your pain, I feel your shame.

I fully understand that it must be disappointing, if not devastating, that the Advertising Standards Agency do not take you seriously. However, I hope it's a crumb of comfort for you to know that, and I hope I can speak on everyone's behalf, that we find your posts worth reading.

They're a bit low on substance, and facts have long since gone by the wayside but they're still worth reading :happy:

Thanks wirral. i find your relentless dedication to watching a channel you dont like 24 hours a day just so you have something to grumble about to a bunch of strangers on an internet forum pretty inspiring too.not to mention your collection of ASA trophies which you are so fond of polishing constantly and continuously! maybe one day all the substance, ambition and enjoyment will have drained out of my life also. maybe then i can reach the dizzy forum heights you seem to have achieved... oh to dream wirral... oh to dream.:drunk:

Thanks wirral. i find your relentless dedication to watching a channel you dont like 24 hours a day just so you have something to grumble about to a bunch of strangers on an internet forum pretty inspiring too.not to mention your collection of ASA trophies which you are so fond of polishing constantly and continuously! maybe one day all the substance, ambition and enjoyment will have drained out of my life also. maybe then i can reach the dizzy forum heights you seem to have achieved... oh to dream wirral... oh to dream.:drunk:

So you now don't even appear to know that Bid dosen't actually broadcast for 24 hours a day. Bingo, is there anything you ever get right? :giggle:

Are you Frank Spencer is disguise?

bingo betty.jpg

Last edited:

Ops you seemed to have tripped up there, need a hand up? I'll grab a wing ......

Ops you seemed to have tripped up there, need a hand up? I'll grab a wing ......

Thanks for the hand PJ. but wait. while your attention is diverted.. who is stalking Mike Mason?? Nobody?? you mean.. he is un-stalked? goodness me!

Latest posts

Back