QVC not such great value ?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Retailbear

Registered Shopper
As a QVC Customer for over 12 years I have always believed the hype about their buying power and ability to use that purchasing ability to give us the Customer lower prices. But today I was pretty shocked - going to replenish my Liz Earle cleanse and Polish, I thought I'd go for the 3 x 100g pump dispensers and the cost was shown including P & P of £46.23 . Although 4 x easy-pays were offered, I thought it seemed a bit expensive so thought I'd check out Liz Earle's website - and was VERY glad I did - their price for the same 3 100g dispensers including p & p = £40.50.

So why the difference? I'm guessing that QVC have to fund their EZ Pay somehow, but I'm incredibly disillusioned with them, especially as all the presenters constantly push what fabulous value QVC is.

Don't use this brand, so don't watch the shows. Were the prices keener when Liz owned the company, than they are now, since selling out to avon? I know with other products, when they first start peddling them on the Q, in order to gain the public exposure, the supplier is willing to offer more affordable and competitive prices. Once they have drawn people in, and gained a huge customer base, they up the prices. It's really a strategic ploy on the part of the seller and not the Q, I feel; once they have got themselves established, thanks to the Q - and who can blame them, it is busimess - they (after a contracted period) hold back on the price deals. One example : Charlie Bears.

I am struggling to think of any brands that are not exclusive to QVC that work out better value. Thinking Kipling, Liz Earle, Bobbi Brown, L'Occitane, Clarks. However with some brands buying a duo and a trio can be cheaper...but as the OP says this is clearly not always the case. It's very easy for Q to harp on about the value if a brand is exclusive to them like Mally, Northern Nights.

That said, why would Q be any different from other companies? Take "never knowingly undersold" John Lewis. They are often just as expensive for branded goods as other retailers unless they have the manufacturer by the short and curlies and they are exclusive to John Lewis. Their "never knowingly undersold" mantra excludes online shopping and you can always buy cheaper perfumes, expensive pushchairs and baby stuff, handbags, etc online. My point is that we criticise Q because we can buy cheaper elsewhere, but that could be said about any retailer.

The same goes for p&p...again many retailers charge for this, but the difference is they charge once for the whole order. It is this which is my primary bugbear with QVC, not the mere fact that they have a delivery charge.

It seems that sets of make up and some TSV's are the very rare bargains from Q. And even then those TSV's with their puny travel sizes are not bargains at all.

You only have to do some quick Googling and you can find the majority of QVC's products at better prices, especially on ebay - much better prices and faster service on the whole. When it comes to QVC claiming they have better prices, I'm sure they compare themselves to top end salons, spas and boutiques, as that seems to be where they place themselves. If you narrow the market that much then, yes, they probably are cheaper. However, those of us actually spending with them know better. You have to compare yourself to the whole market, not just the most expensive segment.

I bought some L'Occitane perfume last year in one of their own shops and later found I could have got it for about £4 or £5 less from QVC (including the P & P in the QVC price). I didn't check before I bought it because I didn't think for a minute that QVC would be cheaper. I looked at another L'Occitane perfume the other day and it was £35.50 from QVC includng P & P but £39 from L'Occitane excluding P&P, however L'Occitane were offering a gift if you spent over £35 so that evens it out a bit.

To be honest I didn't think that companies who sold on QVC were meant to sell the products themselves cheaper than QVC do. However thinking about I have seen Lulu Guinness bags that have been massively reduced in her sale being sold for full price on QVC. Maybe some suppliers have more bargaining power than others.

Last edited:
Moth I deliberately excluded ebay as this is a secondary market that relies on buying stuff like Mally and Laura Geller from Q in the first place.

Boris Bear I know what you mean about L'Occitane perfume. I recently bought my summer fragrance (a break from my usual rose!) from a L'Occitane store. I wanted the limited edition mint verbena - absolutely gorgeous by the way- turned out cheaper on Q even factoring in the p & p to my astonishment.

I have bought the last 2 Liz Earle TSV's as I thought they are good value.For all other LE products I use their website & get a 'good' freebie or buy at JL down the road.Always used to get the L'Occitane but now only use the soap & have recently stocked up from their outlet in Portsmouth. Q are up against so many other websites so are offering EZP with so many items but the only thing which would really appeal to me is FREE P&P.

L'Artisan Parfumeur quite a few of the perfumes on QVC at FULL PRICE, in L'Artisan's own sale half price, some even in TKMaxx at under £25!*

Now and then in TKMaxx, just go weekly and keep your eyes open.

L'Artisan Parfumeur quite a few of the perfumes on QVC at FULL PRICE, in L'Artisan's own sale half price, some even in TKMaxx at under £25!*

Now and then in TKMaxx, just go weekly and keep your eyes open.

I think I must live local to the crappest TKMaxx in the country - they NEVER have any of the big beauty brands in there.

You and me both. I am yet to find anything of interest in TK Maxx and I really do rummage for ages.

Latest posts

Back