Buckley poppy!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Ruthmay

Registered Shopper
They've started flogging this already! must be a great money spinner! I know British Legion get £5 off each, but how much do Q keep?

They've started flogging this already! must be a great money spinner! I know British Legion get £5 off each, but how much do Q keep?

As a regular poppy seller for several years, I can tell you that £5 is considerably more than the average man or woman in the street drops in the collection boxes, so it marks a significant donation.

It is a good donation and they are lovely. I got mine directly from the Royal British Legion website along with some poppy cufflinks for my husband. I am hoping the charity gets more that way.

I buy directly from the Poppy legion website. Last year I bought a clip on poppy charm for my Thomas Sabo bracelet. I like to think that buying directly the charity makes more money per item.

As a regular poppy seller for several years, I can tell you that £5 is considerably more than the average man or woman in the street drops in the collection boxes, so it marks a significant donation.

I bought one the year before last from the Royal British Legion website

http://www.poppyshop.org.uk/charity-jewellery/poppy-jewellery.html

I agree £5 is a good donation so long as people don't just buy one and wear it for years without donating again. I made sure to give some money to a poopy seller last year but just didn't take a poppy. I always managed to lose my ordinary poppy or end up with it crumpled so the crystal one is much better for me.

I got one last year but I was left wearing the pin. They believed me and sent a replacement. I hope the rest of the brooch turns up some day so I can send it back.

Over the past few years, I have bought quite a bit of poppy jewellery and generally I do it from the RBL website and that is a good way of doing it. Last year, and I think the year before, the RBL site sold out and the only ones left were on the QVC and Buckley sites. For anyone interested in different poppy items, the RBL shop does have a wide range.

Not questioning the benefits, just the early plugging of an event that is in November!

I bought one the year before last from the Royal British Legion website

http://www.poppyshop.org.uk/charity-jewellery/poppy-jewellery.html

I agree £5 is a good donation so long as people don't just buy one and wear it for years without donating again. I made sure to give some money to a poopy seller last year but just didn't take a poppy. I always managed to lose my ordinary poppy or end up with it crumpled so the crystal one is much better for me.

Price comparison QVC - Small Poppy - £15.00, Large Poppy - £32 (although on waitlist). £2.95 p&p for each

RBL - Small Poppy - £11.75, Large Poppy - £17.63. p&p £2.95 per order or free if you spend over £40. They are on special offer for the birth of Prince George so not sure how long the offer will run for :up:

Price comparison QVC - Small Poppy - £15.00, Large Poppy - £32 (although on waitlist). £2.95 p&p for each

RBL - Small Poppy - £11.75, Large Poppy - £17.63. p&p £2.95 per order or free if you spend over £40. They are on special offer for the birth of Prince George so not sure how long the offer will run for :up:

Yes, that is a special offer price for a limited time only.

Thanks for the heads up, I've just ordered the lovely Buckley crystal brooch from the RBL website.

There was a woman on Facebook who took the larger poppies and crystallised them. (covered them including the leaves with crystals). Her husband was serving abroad and she was doing it for the RBL. A friend of mine was trying to get one but was told that she was sold out. My friend explained that she was hoping to have it for the 25th Anniversary service of the Poppy Day Massacre in Enniskillen in which a member of her husband's family was murdered but was glad they had turned out so popular. Two days later one arrived special delivery. The woman had made one specially for her. It looked wonderful. I wonder if she will be doing the same this year.

Animal lovers may like to buy a purple poppy to wear with their red one. I wear red and purple together each year, and the purple one remembers all the animals that have given, and continue to give, their lives in war.

Purple poppies can be purchased from the Animal Aid website - http://www.animalaid.org.uk/h/n/CAMPAIGNS/living//2256// - the fabric poppy is £1.50 and the metal poppy badge is £3.00. As they say on the site:

"During human conflicts, animals have been used as messengers, for detection, scouting and rescue, as beasts of burden and on the frontline. They have been used for companionship in the trenches and continue to be subjected to horrific warfare experiments in laboratories. Please wear a purple poppy and help us to raise awareness of these forgotten victims."

Not questioning the benefits, just the early plugging of an event that is in November!
It was just that you wondered "how much do Q keep?"
The RBL sell poppy stuff year-round and the site encourages people to wear the poppies as often as they like, not just in November. If people who have missed out in the past are encouraged to buy one now, and it brings more funds in to the RBL, then great.

Thank you for this thread.

Every year I plan to buy a Buckley one and forget till its too late.

Thanks to this thread I have ordered one direct from RBL.

Latest posts

Back