Kindle vs Kindle Fire

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Dips

Registered Shopper
Can I solicit views from Kindle owners on the Kindle vs the Kindle Fire. It's my Dad's birthday coming up (he'll be 82) and I know he'd love a Kindle. However, Amazon have just reduced the price of the Kindle Fire to £99. So my dilemma is do I buy him a straight-forward Kindle or the Fire? I have a Kindle and an Ipad, and I love both. Dad definitely wouldn't get enough use out of an Ipad to justify the spend on that but he would probably use the tablet element of the Fire enough for to be worth paying the extra for a Fire vs an ordinary Kindle. However, ultimately, he'll mainly want to read books on his Kindle.

I'd really like to hear from anyone who has a Fire, as to what they think of it, especially if they previously just had a plain Kindle.

MTIA

He needs a kindle and a kindle fire. I tried to make do with the kindle fire but it is so much heavier than a kindle that it cannot be used to read on and also the kindle fire has a shiny reflexive screen so cannot be read outdoor or in certain ligth conditions. In the end i returned the kindle fire and bought a nexus 7 and a kindle. If he has a computer or laptop he will not miss having no internet access but will appreciate the kindle reader. My Dad who is 89 has a laptop but prefers to still read boo,s in paperform mainly because he uses the library. Some libraries have probably got kindle technology but I am not sure what happens in libraries as I haven't been in mine for at least 4 years.

Last edited:
Thank you, ILS, he has a laptop (bought by me too) which he uses extensively as he's the Treasurer for a number of charities. I want to get him a Kindle to read books primarily, which is what I still use my Kindle for despite having my Ipad. I'm therefore interested in your experience of the screen glare with the Fire.

And the difference in weight. The kindle is much better for reading on.
Personally I hardly use my laptop now as it takes so much longer to boot than The Nexus 7. But your dad probably has more time than me so can manage his internetting on his laptop.

I have the kindle fire hd. I do love it it came away with me last weekend and I kept up with my emails and facebooking I also used it on the train to read the current book. I have a case that doubles as a stand so weight isn't an issue with the tables on the trains. I'm using it right now instead of getting out my lenovo yoga. But I'm a bit of a gadget-aholic so a regular kindle might be just the thing for someone who just wants to read on it. However the kindle app for Windows is excellent.

The other thing that I prefer on the Kindle when using it to read Is that your book remains on the screen and on the page you were on - no opening kindle software to start reading your book. Also I hardly ever have to charge my kindle whilst the kindle fire needs charging virtually every day (like my nexus 7 does). I travel with both a kindle and a nexus 7 especially when going to hot countries where I'll be reading outdoors.

Latest posts

Back