Jackie Kennedy Collection.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

louise66

Registered Shopper
Each time this guest is on, he talks about JFK with such reverence, as if he was the most considerate, kind husband any woman would be lucky to be married to; almost as if he was the second coming. Throughout his relationship with Jackie, he was a philandering cheat who constantly had affairs. With young children, he was far from being a loving father, or he would have been enjoying family time, rather than the company of opportunistic, loose fame hungry women. He probably showered her with jewellery, to ease his conscience. The guest infers that they had a wonderful, loving union, when this is a load of twaddle. We may be british - the US did belong to us, btw - but we do read the news / history of the US.

The truth won't sell jewellry will it? For the same reason that Lulu fessing up to how much work she's had done wouldn't help flog her skincare range. They're creating a romantic notion which we will supposedly want to buy into, truth has no place in sales....on QVC anyway!! ; )

Well you never know what goes on in a relationship between two people. Rumor has it that Joe Kennedy paid Jackie over $1 million to stay with JFK and not divorce him. And that was a lot of money back then. Who knows maybe she did greatly love him and chose to ignore his indiscretions like so many women did then and do today. Maybe she relished the wealth, power and prestige that went along with being Mrs. JFK. It is a fascinating story and one that we'll never really know that much about, at least what really happened. She worked very hard to build and create the Camelot myth -- she set that up. So she must have cared greatly about his (and their) legacy. But it is true smearing someone won't sell the product.

I saw some of the presentation and I thought exactly the same thing.

Jackie is portraited as the serene wife and mother with an adoring husband. When Kennedy was shot she appeared wearing the same blood stained pink suit. This was clearly to make a point, which surely must have come from some logical thought process. If my husband had just been murdered I am sure I wouldn't have been capable of making a logical decision, and remaining covered in his blood would be unthinkable.

Of course no one knows what goes on between couples. I do think however that she was just as much a politician as JFK was and also probably better educated and more intelligent than him.

Personally I would prefer to see similar shows on the jewellery of the Duchess of Windsor and Princess Diana or even the Queen. Not that I want to buy replicas of crowns or tiaras, but some of the less grand pieces would be interesting.

Well said Louise66! Funnily enough the same thoughts crossed my mind when the presenter said how much JFK loved her. I'm with you that the jewellery was probably because of a guilty conscience!

I remember watching a JBK show hosted by Debbie Greenwood, and she commented that JFK probably bought a lot of the jewellery because of his guilty conscience. Phil Whatsisname said no, and asked Debbie if she would wear jewellery given to her for that reason. I did begin to wonder if the stories about him (JFK, not Phil) had been greatly exaggerated. But Jackie also accepted jewellery from Onassis, who, by all accounts, was a far-from-perfect husband. Maybe diamonds (and other rocks & precious metals) really are a girl's best friend: at least, in terms of longevity!

Jackie Kennedy Onassis was born and bred into the world of being a socialite. She knew exactly what she was getting into when she married both of her very rich and very powerful husbands. I doubt very much that either union had anything to do with love TBH.

Jackie Kennedy Onassis was born and bred into the world of being a socialite. She knew exactly what she was getting into when she married both of her very rich and very powerful husbands. I doubt very much that either union had anything to do with love TBH.

I agree, to a certain extent, Weathergirl. Only my opinion, but I think she truly loved JFK when she married him. I also believe that, when she became aware of his womanising and adulterous liaisons, her first thought was for her children, but she was also accustomed to a certain lifestyle with definite priveleges and, perhaps, accepting her husband's behaviour was preferable to losing that. I think when she married Onassis, she DID know what she was looking for, and did not want to give up her standard of living. I can totally understand why Christina didn't get along with her.

I think women such as Jackie Kennedy have no illusions about the type of marriage which they are getting into. She was born into that kind of lifestyle and knew what to expect and it is still true today, that most women marrying powerful men do so with their eyes wide open. As someone once said : the rich are different.

Dd

Latest posts

Back