Butler & Wilson TSV 1/11/13

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I recently bought something because I liked the piece and didn't feel conned into buying it at all.

Sorry! I honestly didn't mean to offend. Reading back I think I probably sound harsh. I really don't like the stuff he does but each to their own.

Why did they split? 'Cos Butler was the bitch of kitsch and ran off with another man at the gay tea dance! Their eyes met over a Mr Kipling pie. Simon Wilson is a funny character. I can't quite place his accent! He seems very full of himself. He looks quite odd with his Butlins redcoat jacket and an eye brooch the size of a dinner plate stuck ostentatiously on his chest. What heterosexual man would wear that?! That dancing couple brooch! LOL! So terribly kitsch!

Last edited:
This is surprisingly good-looking, I like the gun-metal toned one and I can see DD wearing the gold-tone. The quality has to be better than previous TSVs - the big perspex flowers on itchy wire (returned) and the shocking fabric handbag (didn't order) have made me very wary of B&W. The brand was so highly thought of in the 80s when I first heard of it but Simon definitely passes off a lot of "emperor's new clothes" tatt as eclectic in recent years on QVC.

Please QVC (or any other shopping channel) please entice Nicky Butler (the other half of the B&W name) to bring his gorgeous silver jewellery to the UK. I have a few pieces which have beautiful cabochon amethyst, citrine aquamarine stones in silver which cost less than many &Wilson fashion jewellery. He's on HSN in the States: http://www.hsn.com/shop/nicky-butler/18 The silver price has pushed up prices I notice but I could still be tempted.

That's interesting Akimbo, I had a quick looksee. Yes some of the stuff is ok, but a lot of the items have that 'made in India' look. For something different I used to love the Sajen jewellery range on IW, here is the U.S website, but the prices are pretty high. http://www.offeringsjewelry.com/search_db.php?page=6&category=Pendants&sort=Most+recently+added

This TSV has a very Kenneth Lane look about, I think. I've got a few B&W pieces, a couple of gorgeous (well, they are to me) brooches and 4 statement necklaces with matching bracelets. They are only worn for the right occassion, but often I will wear either the necklace or bracelet but not both. The quality can be variable and I think it would be kindest to say that B&W cater for a very wide variety of tastes, so whilst I'm very happy with my purchases there is quite a lot I would not give house room too. I also think that generally the earlier pieces are better in both manufacturing quality and design than the more recent.

However, ultimately, jewelery is a very personal choice, and also a question of personal style - on one person a piece of jewelery looks fantastic, stylish and they carry the jewelery rather than the other way round. On another person, exactly the same piece can look tacky and OTT.

[/B]

That's interesting Akimbo, I had a quick looksee. Yes some of the stuff is ok, but a lot of the items have that 'made in India' look. For something different I used to love the Sajen jewellery range on IW, here is the U.S website, but the prices are pretty high. http://www.offeringsjewelry.com/search_db.php?page=6&category=Pendants&sort=Most+recently+added

Oh Yes Brissles! I remember that range and wish I'd bought a few pieces back then. You're right the range is like the "Treasures of India" brand QVC used to sell.

Just seen it. Not a fan. Bit too big and bold for me.

I agree, I'm not a fan of B&W either. Apart from stage shows I can't imagine where you would wear the great big in your face glass baubles...as for Julia and Simon together... I rush for the off switch, who would want to watch them polishing each others egos...no ta.

I thought the pictures of it were okay, but after seeing a few presenters wearing it, I don't like it.
The chain just doesn't look right IFKWIM?
Too big, Too Wide?
I'm not sure, but it just doesn't look right.

Julia is wearing the gold version on air just now!!! Not a good look!

It looks like some sort of science fiction mind control device. Or on a whim the evil genius SW will push a button and simultaneously world-wide the wearers will start ordering his jewellery, bags and T shirts willy-nilly or their head will explode (like in Scanners). I'm not going to risk it!

In the early days, I did buy quite a few of his pieces, mainly the chandelier clip on earrings - which always sold out quickly, and were good quality. Sadly, he no longer does these, and my interest has waned since he started producing the endless bunny wunny or yucky ducky keyrings/bag ornaments. Also, who in their right minds would want to wear the awful rings that are often shown - not exactly the stuff for going to Sainsburys in deepest Bedfordshire in !!!!!

His business's may be in London - where anything goes, and live in Monaco where anything goes x 2, but realistically, most of the viewing audience live in areas where this stuff wouldn't see the light of day, unless you're an eccentric or a Mystic Meg look alike !!

I have, I think from memory, 3 butler and wilson pieces. They are from years ago and are necklaces with matching earrings. Very pretty, feminine pieces, not in your face bling. I can't believe the tat he sells these days - I don't think I will ever be tempted again by this range. I often sit watching thinking 'omg, that is hideous', and next thing is it sells out!

I have a few pieces from years ago and managed to get the breast cancer brooches this year and it has to be said they are beautiful. I am not into all the animal stuff he has started doing though. I have just had a look at the new items on the website and he really has outdone himself this time! I lost it completely when I saw the panda clinging to the Christmas tree. Each to their own, but it made me laugh so hard I could barely breathe!

Latest posts

Back