Disapointed...... :o(

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Appleby

Registered Shopper
Just noticed today that my Marcasite & Pearl bracelet has lost some of its marcasite stones. Have only had the bracelet for about a month so not impressed :31: Will be getting on to rocks tonight via the live help to see what they have to say.

Can't believe it really as its my favourite piece of jewellry from them. Has anyone else noticed any issues with their pieces - especially those items that are worn the most? Can you all go and look for me :33: (my marcasite & pearl bracelet is the dainty tennis type).

Somewhat worried now about the rest of my Rocks items as don't want them lasting just a month after wearing them and especially those items that i purchased as Xmas pressies - how embarrassing would that be :11:

Sorry for the moan, but am quite saddened by this :31:

marcasitebraceletproblem.jpg

Last edited:
Just noticed today that my Marcasite & Pearl bracelet has lost some of its marcasite stones. Have only had the bracelet for about a month so not impressed :31: Will be getting on to rocks tonight via the live help to see what they have to say.

Can't believe it really as its my favourite piece of jewellry from them. Has anyone else noticed any issues with their pieces - especially those items that are worn the most? Can you all go and look for me :33: (my marcasite & pearl bracelet is the dainty tennis type).

Somewhat worried now about the rest of my Rocks items as don't want them lasting just a month after wearing them and especially those items that i purchased as Xmas pressies - how embarrassing would that be :11:

Sorry for the moan, but am quite saddened by this :31:
Nothing new there. I had the same problem with Gems and sent the ring back for a refund.

Hi Appleby

Really sorry to hear that has happened to your bracelet. Please get in touch with Help, or email Tony to get a replacement. We will sort it out a.s.a.p.

Don't worry about your Christmas presents, we are very proud of the quality of our jewellery and hopefully you will be reassured that problems like this are few and far between!

Best Wishes

Sarah Bennett

I think they glue the marcasite stones, unlike Gems.tv who claw set them, so I haven't gone for any from Rocks.

Hi Appleby

Really sorry to hear that has happened to your bracelet. Please get in touch with Help, or email Tony to get a replacement. We will sort it out a.s.a.p.

Don't worry about your Christmas presents, we are very proud of the quality of our jewellery and hopefully you will be reassured that problems like this are few and far between!

Best Wishes

Sarah Bennett

Thanks Sarah,

have just been chatting to Rachel in help and she's looking to see if you've any left lol. I'm crossing my fingers and anything else that i can cross :54: ahem.

I don't want them to fall out....I luv my marcasite lol

xxxxx

Hi Appleby ,i have a set of marcasite but it seems ok at the moment, ill keep an eye out now tho.I have had a problem with my sponge coral earrings that were worn once then just broke in two and have had to have them replaced but not so confident at wearing now....

Hi Appleby ,i have a set of marcasite but it seems ok at the moment, ill keep an eye out now tho.I have had a problem with my sponge coral earrings that were worn once then just broke in two and have had to have them replaced but not so confident at wearing now....

It will definitly be worth looking out for just in case. As the marcasites are so small and there are a number of them, its easy to miss. If you click on my picture above it will make it larger to see the missing stones. I think i've lost around 4 stones so far and another 1 looks dodgy. As someone mentioned above, they are glued in - obviously not with super glue lol. Maybe NO MORE NAILS would be more appropriate :1:

Will be sending it back now for a replacement - I just hope i don't loose any out of the new one as i love to wear it all the time. Its simple, elegant, doesn't get stuck anywhere lol. Its so me!!!!!

ooer appleby i have exact same bracelet design but with black onyx instead of pearl not worn it yet tho....

ooer appleby i have exact same bracelet design but with black onyx instead of pearl not worn it yet tho....

Might be worth wearing it then lol.... how long does rocks give you to send items back??? I know of the 30 day guarantee, but that really isn't helpful for items that have issues after that time. Plus items that i've bought for xmas, what if they have issues with after being given? I've purchased earrings, cufflinks, bracelets for pressies. Maybe i should test drive them before i give them lol :33: But then i can't try out the earrings as i've no holes!!! :52:

Perhaps someone from Rocks could clarify these issues here :1:

so sorry to hear about your problem Appleby, I do hope that it is sorted soon and to your satisfaction....(and heres me raving about rocks marcasite on another thread......:54: When things like this happen I think it tends to make you nervous about items that you own.....the stones are so tiny you are not necessarily going to notice them missing straight away. It would be interesting to find out what the policy is should stones go awol after the 30 day guarantee period.

I'm not sure that marcasite in a bracelet is necessarily an every day item. Marcasite is held in with jeweller's cement and in a bracelet I can see it getting more knocks and bumps than say a necklace or earrings. I'd say the same for a pearl bracelet (if the pearl isn't protected and mounted with a prong) and Tanzanite, Emerald etc as these are just too fragile. Some jewellery is just better saved for occasional wear (even though it looks so pretty and shouts to be worn more often)!!!! :1:

Also, just make sure you never get it near water as that may also compromise the setting.

I'm not sure that marcasite in a bracelet is necessarily an every day item. Marcasite is held in with jeweller's cement and in a bracelet I can see it getting more knocks and bumps than say a necklace or earrings. I'd say the same for a pearl bracelet (if the pearl isn't protected and mounted with a prong) and Tanzanite, Emerald etc as these are just too fragile. Some jewellery is just better saved for occasional wear (even though it looks so pretty and shouts to be worn more often)!!!! :1:

Also, just make sure you never get it near water as that may also compromise the setting.

Thanks Messhoo, that's definitly worth remembering. It's such a shame though as its a lovely bracelet, it sparkles and is so easy to wear.

The trouble with me is, I either wear jewellry or i don't. Meaning if i wear a bracelet, i like to do so everyday. I hate to see jewellry sitting in my J Box looking rather sad and un-loved. And if i don't wear it, then i end up getting rather lazy and not bother at all - especially with the added worry now that i may loose some gems :31:

Do rocks sell any marcasite bracelets in a prong setting? I especially like the daintier styles as i've small wrists. I do have another marcasite and pearl bracelet - which i definitly wouldn't wear daily due to worrying about the pearl charms (Its a pearl charm type bracelet - even more daintier than this one lol, again the marcasite is glued in)

Another quick question - I also have the leather watch with white topaz gems. I assume that these are glued in also - will i have to be careful with that item too??? I've been wearing the watch daily, so would it be worth my while being extra careful? I honestly never gave any thought about the items that i purchased being practical or lets say hard wearing lol. :52: If i saw something i liked, i bidded, end of!!!!:11:

After all this time i'm begining to think that i should have thought more about each piece than i did. If it was going cheap or if i really wanted a piece i ended up bidding lol. I also bought hubby a sandblasted ring - EEEK - he wore it for one day and it was scratched terribly - we only went to Tesco lol!!! Rocks were brill though, and refunded us :1: I haven't purchased anything else from Rocks for a while and won't do so until i'm happy with the durability of the items that i've already got, including the items i've purchased for Xmas - and that in itself it quite a lot of stuff :52: I think i'll have to do an inventory of what i've bought so far lol!!!

The trouble with me is, I either wear jewellry or i don't. Meaning if i wear a bracelet, i like to do so everyday. I hate to see jewellry sitting in my J Box looking rather sad and un-loved. And if i don't wear it, then i end up getting rather lazy and not bother at all - especially with the added worry now that i may loose some gems :31:

That's the best reason I've heard for buying more more more - so you can't wear the same thing every day! :54:

The bad news is that some jewellery just isn't for every day wear. Even some higher end (for example, a platinum and Tanzanite ring) you could say the same for.

What you need to do is examine the settings, see what you think is robust and what isn't. (Ask questions on here if you're not sure - pictures or links help). If you're buying gemstones (and you're spending what you'd consider a lot of money) then have a quick look at the durability of the stone via the internet, Steve's book or whatever else you have to hand.

Not sure I've seen the watch so can't tell without having a look as to how safe the gems are. Also, in terms of marcasite, I don't think Rocks sell claw set but I could be wrong.
x

That's the best reason I've heard for buying more more more - so you can't wear the same thing every day! :54:

The bad news is that some jewellery just isn't for every day wear. Even some higher end (for example, a platinum and Tanzanite ring) you could say the same for.

What you need to do is examine the settings, see what you think is robust and what isn't. (Ask questions on here if you're not sure - pictures or links help). If you're buying gemstones (and you're spending what you'd consider a lot of money) then have a quick look at the durability of the stone via the internet, Steve's book or whatever else you have to hand.

Not sure I've seen the watch so can't tell without having a look as to how safe the gems are. Also, in terms of marcasite, I don't think Rocks sell claw set but I could be wrong.
x

Thanks again Meeshoo, again some Fab advice :1:

I will definitly start looking into each new potential piece a lot more prior to bidding/buying, especially on those 'bargain buys' lol. Either via here, Rocks or "THE BOOK"

I know the negative side of one's purchases doesn't make for the best conversational piece, but if a negative experience can help make a postive one then i'm all for it :1: And especially those posts that contain some fantastic advice from fellow honoured Rocks/ST members - not mentioning any names Meesh :54: lol!!! Its also great to know that one can pop into ST and ask questions without worrying about what other members think as i know some forums hate talk about the negative side of purchases. Those type of threads usually go unanswered, which is a real shame as this how we all learn about the do's/don't/great buys/not so great buys/problems etc!!! I mean, if it wern't for ST, how would i ever have known about the hedgehog rings :52: awww bless them - not that i've actually bought one (goes to stand in corner :31:).

I want to thank EVERYONE that took the time to post on this thread, i value all comments and appreciate them. Its good to know that one can pop in and get genuine opinions/support without the worry. Bless you all.......

& i'm sending my bra....ce....let....(can't bear to see it go :31:)...back to Rocks on Monday. Hopefully will receive a new one soon :1: This time i will try not to wear it sooooo much...ahem....boy is that going to be hard....:52:

Thanks again.....Meeshoo, Mrs Zed, mariek, dollydimple, Mrs James, Mr Jones, Sarah Bennett, Miss Kitty....hope i haven't missed anyone............xxxx

This thread is really helpful. I will definately check my items more.
I think its a shame about having to steer clear of water with marcasite items - I have a couple of marcasite rings & while I'm careful when I wash my hands with it on, I would not risk taking the ring off even for a second for fear that it is swiped, or I forget and leave it there. Womens clothes don't always come with pockets either so its not as if I could pop it in there when I nip to the loo...hmmm I'll have to think about this one I think & read the book more as well....

IMO it is a bit of a grumble when these things aren't sturdy enough to be worn, & my occasional use could be very different to someone else's too.

I hope yours gets replaced asap Appleby :goodluck:

I have EXACTLY the same bracelet as you Appleby but have only worn it a couple of times so far (and it is still intact) but will definitely keep a close watch on the marcasite stones.

I have tended to take my marcasite items out of their individual Coloured Rocks boxes and put them in other storage (so am concerned now) - with marcasite is it best to keep the pieces separately in their individual boxes?
(will be a bit of a nuisance if it is - as the boxes take up so much room - and I have a lot of marcasite)

Appleby I think your thread highlights issues that forum members may not be aware of so don't ever worry about posting "negative" comments. By doing so, you've probably helped others who haven't been aware of the durability of some jewellery.

Pepsidoodle - just a word on durability of jewellery. Just as in most things in life, jewellery has different types of durability! The things to look for are:-

1. The type of setting i.e. glue, claw, post, claw, tension, bar, bezel, pave etc etc; Some need less attention than others and will be more robust. Some protect gemstones, others expose them so they're more prone to damage.

2. Whether you've had or want to have the item resized - despite what some companies say, some items cannot be resized otherwise it can compromise the settings of the gemstones. Unfortunately, presenters are not always informed and presenters often say something can be resized when clearly it can't. When you've been collecting for a long time (especially if you need items resizing) you get to know what can and can't be resized safely.

3. The type of metal used. All types of gold are generally durable if they have a decent gram weight to the item. If the piece is light then of course it'll be more prone to bending, snapping etc. White gold is normally rhodium plated over the gold to give the piece a nice white finish. This can wear off over time and may need re-rhodiuming (if that's a word)! Unfortunately, there's no way to tell if your item will stay bright white and how long for. Generally most items will last a good few years if you wear them every day. Sometimes they yellow more quickly, sometimes not at all! Platinum on the other hand is very durable and the only thing you may need to do is have your item polished occasionally as it does scratch. Other than that, it's a good metal to buy - and has dropped considerably in price in the past couple of weeks - BUY BUY BUY!

4. Lastly (and I'm sure there's tons more to think of but it's early on a Sunday), the actual gemstone will have a "hardness". Gemstones are rated on a 1-10 scale. 10 being the hardest (diamond). However, the scale is not relative because no.1 is talc! So a number 5 doesn't mean that it's pretty durable. In fact, in jewellery terms, a gemstone with a 5 rating is very soft and not suitable for everyday wear - if I remember correctly Apatite (a beautiful gemstone) is a 5 and really should only be worn as a pendant or earrings but I have several rings and am very careful when I wear them.

Tanzanite is 7.5 and is considered a fragile(ish) stone. It is susceptible to thermal shock (i.e. changes in temperature) and also can crack and fracture if knocked. In a protective setting however Tanzanite is safe to wear - definitely not when washing hands - and not every day. Generally speaking, for everyday wear, diamonds, sapphires and rubies are probably the gemstones that will take the most punishment but you can still damage them.

If in doubt, don't put any jewellery near water or in a sonic cleaner UNLESS you've researched it before and know it'll be ok.

Even diamonds can chip, crack and fracture. I know somebody who caught her 2ct princess cut diamond in the car door and split it almost in two :11:

So basically, treat all jewellery with care! (Oh and buy enough so that you don't have to wear the same piece every day :32:)

Apologies for the long post but I hope that helps.

Latest posts

Back