Credits

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

The biggest problem with this "bogus" offer is that it's devalued before you even start as you can only redeem the damned thing over the phone so it's worth just £8.47. Then to add insult to injury you've got to sit through hours of bid tv to find something that actually qualifies. Don't think you're being clever by trawling the website to see ahead what's coming up, cause if it's something that normally goes for between £10-£20 it's almost certain to go for £9.99 on that day. Yes I guess you could get the money off an expensive item, but I don't think I'd want to risk buying anything "expensive" from them, and even then you're pretty much tied to what they decide to put on air during those qualilfying times - and it's sure to be a pile of crap (even more than usual!).

- Surely they can think of another way to fleece their customers, this "credit" joke has worn so thin, that I can imagine a 5 year old child seeing straight through it!

I'm surprised they haven't gone down the "mystery parcel" route....I mean a REAL blind auction ie: We can guarantee your parcel will contain goods to the value of at least £30/£50/£100....but you won't actually see what you've bought until you receive it, good eh?...and in the words of Steve Macdonald - "you can trust me on this one!" For example the £50 parcel will contain of course a product that they normally start at £50, lets say a genuine Laurelle perfume they'll sell it to you for a mere £8+ p&p so for just £15.98 you've bagged yourself an absolute bargain...er not!

Spend just £15 plus extras for the £50 box and you might receive a genuine leather Rosa Benini offcut handbag -super!

But hey just £40 plus extras..now trust me here will bag you something exquisite worth well over £100 - Gianni Ricci gentleman's timepiece....bargain!

I don't like the implication that you are getting an item for free when you purchase a £10 item and recieve the tenner voucher.

I have heard presenters sneakily say "you do the maths"

Well i did the maths ... the maths says it's bollocks.

When they occasionally did these promotions there was a very good chance the problems would mostly go under the radar.

Now they are regularly doing these promotions there is no chance they'll go under the radar. They might not get into any regulatory trouble but they'll sure receive a lot of bad publicity, not to mention bad will.

Just been watching Sally sell a bag, the price was £14.99 and she said if you have a credit you could use it on this as its £14.99 but if it goes lower you can't, they then trickled the price a few pence before plunging to £7.99, lets hope nobody phoned up in the meantime to use their credit

Just been watching Sally sell a bag, the price was £14.99 and she said if you have a credit you could use it on this as its £14.99 but if it goes lower you can't, they then trickled the price a few pence before plunging to £7.99, lets hope nobody phoned up in the meantime to use their credit

That's the big problem here. How many people ring up thinking 'oh I can use my credit on that for £12.99, I'll get in early like they say'

It then goes down to £9.99 so you can't use your credit. You can't use 'no call back' so they will ring you in 'about 20 minutes'. How many say that they don't want the item now if they can't use their credit I wonder.

Last edited:
That's the big problem here. How many people ring up thinking 'oh I can use my credit on that for £12.99, I'll get in early like they say'

It then goes down to £9.99 so you can't use your credit. You can't use 'no call back' so they will ring you in 'about 20 minutes'. How many say that they don't want the item now if they can't use their credit I wonder.

That is a very good point.

When Peter explained exactly how the 'free credit' scheme worked he was very candid. However, later he went on to say something like 'unlike other retailers we are giving £10 credit with everything today but elsewhere you might have to spend £XX to get £XX of credit'.

Of course he's correct however, I know of no other retailers who within a second can change a price making it impossible to use the credit when you thought you could but then it's too late. So long as they make sure it's clear that T&C's apply (very onerous T&C's, in my opinion) then they aren't doing anything wrong but I would seriously question the actual true value of these credits or the actual opportunity to be able to use them. As Momma says you could think 'i'll have that and use my credit' and at the last minute the price changes meaning you can't.

But I reckon they are here to stay, they are on both channels today.

Last edited:

I heard her say that exact same thing. it's disgusting that they want people to phone up and essentially gamble £1.53 on the notion that the product "might" end up under the qualifying price.

To some extent it's worse than quiz call as atleast on there someone may well end up guessing that a woman carries a balaclava in her bag.

Note: yes, that was one of the (unsurprisingly) unguessed answers on an edition of quizcall.

To me it's pretty obvious that one needs to wait until the clock starts counting down before I ring in as the price (especially during credit redemtion periods) is likely to fall under the £10 mark. However, they're more than aware there's some gullible and easily confused people watching out there so it's more than wrong of them to verbally encourage people to waste their money on a phonecall. It could be that the person didn't hear the bit where they said it might fall below the qualifying amount - They could well be in the other room making the phone call. I don't know why they have to have such an exhaustive list of t'cs and c's- Why can't they "visibly" add the credit to the customer's account so they can see exactly when they received it, and give the customer say, 28 days from the date it reached their account to redeem it. They can still keep the over £10 rule, keep it to tv sales only - but to choose measly little windows which often involve the early hours of the morning on a meagre selection of crap is just mean spirited. I've probably got a few credits available if I phoned and asked, but as I said before they can bliddy well keep them!

To me it's pretty obvious that one needs to wait until the clock starts counting down before I ring in as the price (especially during credit redemtion periods) is likely to fall under the £10 mark. However, they're more than aware there's some gullible and easily confused people watching out there so it's more than wrong of them to verbally encourage people to waste their money on a phonecall. It could be that the person didn't hear the bit where they said it might fall below the qualifying amount - They could well be in the other room making the phone call. I don't know why they have to have such an exhaustive list of t'cs and c's- Why can't they "visibly" add the credit to the customer's account so they can see exactly when they received it, and give the customer say, 28 days from the date it reached their account to redeem it. They can still keep the over £10 rule, keep it to tv sales only - but to choose measly little windows which often involve the early hours of the morning on a meagre selection of crap is just mean spirited. I've probably got a few credits available if I phoned and asked, but as I said before they can bliddy well keep them!

Have you seen how long they leave the caption on screen that details the T&C's? It's flashes up that briefly it's almost like subliminal advertising!

I don't think i'm being unfair when I say it appears they have made this 'offer' as complicated as possible.

I was watching Caroline and Chef Kate with the halogen. Nice big item to use your credit on. But then this happened.......

21st October 2013: Halogen Oven - £10 credit promotion – bid TV

You can't use your credit on any other promotion

They said something exciting was happening today at 3, then this appears on FB

IT'S BACK! Get £10 #credit when you buy from our TV channels between 3pm today and 1.30am Monday!

DP has started his pitch but not mentioned it

They said something exciting was happening today at 3, then this appears on FB

IT'S BACK! Get £10 #credit when you buy from our TV channels between 3pm today and 1.30am Monday!

DP has started his pitch but not mentioned it

I bet the presenters are even fed up with them.

Hey Bid, if you're reading this forum can you take this back with you - You can stuff your worthless credit right up your *&@$! Oh, I forgot, the only people it's not worthless to is the bosses at your place as sadly there's still enough gullible people out there - They're wearing thin though!

The credits are back with aplomb on both channels but they are now known as '£10 Christmas Bonus'. The only upside is that you get longer to 'spend' them (07:45 18/11/13 and will expire at 01:30 01/12/13).

Thanks Sit-Up.

Latest posts

Back