Poinsettia.....POINSETTIA! and Pointless Christmas Surprises!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Akimbo

Fluffy
Every year I sigh when I hear the word poinsettia mispronounced, Point-sietta is favoured by Kathy Taylor and I've just heard the Bethlehem guest say Point-Setter. Here's a Pointer-Setter cross which would also look lovely in my home (not just for Christmas) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e2EeswBQ34 but I think she means Euphorbia pulcherrima.

How hard can it be FFS? finger under the syllable and s-o-u-n-d it out!

Meanwhile the Christmas Surprises have started with http://www.qvcuk.com/40cm-White-LED-Blossom-Tree.product.701180.html on pointless easy-pay! I'm never tempted by these "crazy easy pays" of £4.64 in the case of this twig item, 2 months down the line I'll look at my credit card statement and wonder what the hell I was charged 4 quid for! Plus, if you need a £12 item splittling over 3 months it's time to stop spending!

Bah Humbug!

Every year I sigh when I hear the word poinsettia mispronounced, Point-sietta is favoured by Kathy Taylor and I've just heard the Bethlehem guest say Point-Setter. Here's a Pointer-Setter cross which would also look lovely in my home (not just for Christmas) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e2EeswBQ34 but I think she means Euphorbia pulcherrima.

How hard can it be FFS? finger under the syllable and s-o-u-n-d it out!

Meanwhile the Christmas Surprises have started with http://www.qvcuk.com/40cm-White-LED-Blossom-Tree.product.701180.html on pointless easy-pay! I'm never tempted by these "crazy easy pays" of £4.64 in the case of this twig item, 2 months down the line I'll look at my credit card statement and wonder what the hell I was charged 4 quid for! Plus, if you need a £12 item splittling over 3 months it's time to stop spending!
Bah Humbug!

I couldn't agree more.
I've never seen the point of these stupid EP's. I'd rather have free P & P TBH.

... and breath :giggle:

I agree about the mispronunciation of words... and the more it grates, the more you start to notice it.

Chocolate and the mute button help in extreme cases.

Oh this is the time of year I always go cold turkey ( pardon the pun ) from watching Q. I`m not a big spender with them at the best of times but the run up to Christmas hype which seems to start earlier every year really bugs me. Lots of cheap nasty items which are ooohed and aaaaahed about and I feel like shouting at the TV saying "what a load of carp, better stuff in the pound shop and who do you think you`re kidding cos you probably hate it too ! ".

Yep I agree it shouldn't be beyond someone at qvc to sort out pronounciation. Perhaps Will could press his little buttons and make himself really useful for a change, correcting the presenters on air. He and his beloved Alison would soon fall out! Anyway, at least Claire manages to get round the thorny problem by just making words up.

I always thought the idiotic Anna was the worst one for misusing words. She was always praised by the other presenters for being so clever yet she seemed barely coherent at times and was so desperate to use long words that she either made them up or misused them.

Yep I agree it shouldn't be beyond someone at qvc to sort out pronounciation. Perhaps Will could press his little buttons and make himself really useful for a change, correcting the presenters on air. He and his beloved Alison would soon fall out! Anyway, at least Claire manages to get round the thorny problem by just making words up.

Ha, Ha. Brilliant.

I always thought the idiotic Anna was the worst one for misusing words. She was always praised by the other presenters for being so clever yet she seemed barely coherent at times and was so desperate to use long words that she either made them up or misused them.

I quite liked Anna otherwise but did frequently cringe at her using words she was clearly clueless as to the meaning of. Just don't bother, use words of fewer syllables which are more familiar, or else actually learn the meaning of the words you're trying to use. Why pretend, it just makes (the proverbial) you look a fool. I was stunned to hear she was meant to have an English degree, wtf? That sort of habit is entirely at odds with the way the English language is designed, which is why it sounds awful.

I don't mind small EP's because if I send back it's minimum taken from my account to have to be credited. I make selected purchases anyway though and as packaging has been reduced I am wary of receiving damaged goods to have to be replaced or returned and the faff of a return slip. I make small EP's work in my favour. Could do with one on PCMC at the mo as I am low! :Angry:

...and another thing!

Saints preserve us from the Xmas temp. Bland Ambassadors with their estuary accents! I can see they may live within easy commuter distance from QVC HQ but it's a relief when the Bethleham Lights American guest and Miceal returned. I like accents but not at the expense of diction.

QVC should look into which regional accents they need on their staff, research suggests Yorkshire accents sound most trustworthy.

A thing that really annoys me is that the presenters always say "ruler" instead of "rule". When I was at school my English teacher used to go mad and would - allowed in those days - tap you on your knuckles with a "rule" if you called it a "ruler". She used to have us chant "a ruler is a King or Queen not a measuring device".

Latest posts

Back