Yankee Candle TSV 05/12/13

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

weak fragrances for me are a childs wish lovely but too faint to contemplate. fireside treats anather nice but faint smell. super scent for lavender lovers is lemon lavender. love red velvet tarts. comfort blanket is devine in tarts. I find the newer scents are getting weaker

Do these lids get hot? I like to extinguish the flame by putting the lid back on, so are the Iluma lids cool enough to handle after a few hours?

They get a bit hot Jennypenny yes, but I carefully handle them from the edges to lift off the lid before blowing out the candle and that works ok. Mine is a metal one though, not sure what the christmassy designs are made out of.

Evening readers, I have found the best use for my YC tarts (the wickless candles) is as an in car air freshener,

I simply put 1 in each of the front door ashtrays unwrapped and I have a VERY long lasting fresh smell in the cabin area. I prefer the vanilla based tarts as it compliments the leather smell of the seats. Also they dont melt in hot weather at all. They are much cheaper than magic trees hanging off the rear view mirror and really work.

Last edited:
Evening readers, I have found the best use for my YC tarts (the wickless candles) is as an in car air freshener,

I simply put 1 in each of the front door ashtrays unwrapped and I have a VERY long lasting fresh smell in the cabin area. I prefer the vanilla based tarts as it compliments the leather smell of the seats. Also they dont melt in hot weather at all. They are much cheaper than magic trees hanging off the rear view mirror and really work.

Might try that - would mean cleaning out the sweetie wrappers first though!

Photos up now.

Apple and pine in all 3.....didn't like the smell of that one in the local shop.

Is that the one people thought smelt like toilet cleaner?

Thanks not keen on a couple of the fragrances so not for me .

I'm waiting for the electric tart warmer with the removable dish to come back into stock-----if it ever does.

I'm waiting for the electric tart warmer with the removable dish to come back into stock-----if it ever does.

If it doesn't, just head down to Poundland and get a set of their wide foil mince pie dishes (or for something a bit prettier, their silicone cupcake moulds - my burner isn't in sight so it doesn't matter what it looks like). I can melt a different fragrance in each and change them as often as I want.

I'm very much an on top fan as opposed to being underneath (the wax, that is!)
Finding that the melts scent throw is a LOT stronger than the jars.

However I have found out two tips that may help Jar users to get best performance

(i) use a fitting ring of foil - like a doughnut and place on the top of the lit jar, the air hole only being an inch or so wide. It saves having to buy a pretty lid, does the same job melting the the jar wax right to the edge, and when you are done, you just throw the foil out, rather than having to clean the sooty flip side of the pretty metal lid - oh soot!! Just hate it!

(ii) If the jar wax gives no throw (which is approx 80% of cases) light it and place it sitting on your hob (ring off of course) :mysmilie_59:under your cooker hood - no need to turn cooker hood on. For some strange reason this placement 'draws up' the scent of the wax, giving a great throw!

Melts idea:
I find the melts give fantastic throw, but its a very expensive way as these melts gram for gram are quite expensive - I mix a fresh open tart with other Yankee less fragranced brand, for example I will split Vanilla cupcake with a crumbled sampler of Yankee Simply Home (Tesco) basic Vanilla, and it gives a good throw and not so pricey

I never throw out the faded used melts. When hardened, pop out, place in a ziplock bag. When you've saved enough, re-melt the lot together and pour into an empty glass jar (or pretty tea cups) with fresh wick. Its amazing as it burns down you will get different scents (the Yankee version of the Willy Wonka everlasting gob stopper!)

Last edited:
The reason I want the electric warmer is that it might give a gentler heat than tea lights.
These seem to overheat the wax tarts, and I've had problems with droplets of hot wax spluttering out onto furniture and even carpets. I of course cover the table the burner stands on but they do spatter wax far and wide. This is a shame because the tarts do give a good fragrance to the room.

I bought a very basic burner from a yankee shop for about £13 a couple of years ago, it was just a white round ceramic burner no more than a couple of inches high with a glass removable dish in it, that rather resembled an old style ashtray, it is not fancy to look at but I find it melts the waxes a lot quicker than the more stylish looking ones that Q tend to sell, and the glass is quite strong a bit like Pyrex, not sure if they still make these though, it is burning lavender at the mo and smells lovely,seems easier to remove the melts once used as well,

The reason I want the electric warmer is that it might give a gentler heat than tea lights.
These seem to overheat the wax tarts, and I've had problems with droplets of hot wax spluttering out onto furniture and even carpets. I of course cover the table the burner stands on but they do spatter wax far and wide. This is a shame because the tarts do give a good fragrance to the room.

I too have had problems with the tarts spluttering everywhere. It has ruined my lovely white shade and hubby gets fed up with finding was droplets all over the walls and table, therefore I have now sold all my tarts and am sticking just to the jars

Thanks to the poster who said about using the tarts in your car, I'm going to try that tomorrow.
I like the large jars but find it hit and miss with tunneling even though I always burn for long enough and have shades on them. I much prefer the tart burners personally and have an electric and tea light one.
There's nothing worse thana jar tunnelling. ..I always imagine it's just wasted money!

Thanks to the poster who said about using the tarts in your car, I'm going to try that tomorrow.
I like the large jars but find it hit and miss with tunneling even though I always burn for long enough and have shades on them. I much prefer the tart burners personally and have an electric and tea light one.
There's nothing worse thana jar tunnelling. ..I always imagine it's just wasted money!

I found a large jar of Kitchen spice I bought ages ago as part of a set of 3 from Q, only burned it twice and put it away because I hated the smell of it. So I lit it last night and its the first candle in ages that's started to tunnel, the wick was trimmed and im using a shade, im not too fussed because I don't like the fragrance however its still annoying as there not exactly cheap. I do wonder if this cold weather hasn't helped and mayb why its started to tunnel, I remember Michaela used to say about making sure if you store the candles away that they aren't too cold before using them.

I found a large jar of Kitchen spice I bought ages ago as part of a set of 3 from Q, only burned it twice and put it away because I hated the smell of it. So I lit it last night and its the first candle in ages that's started to tunnel, the wick was trimmed and im using a shade, im not too fussed because I don't like the fragrance however its still annoying as there not exactly cheap. I do wonder if this cold weather hasn't helped and mayb why its started to tunnel, I remember Michaela used to say about making sure if you store the candles away that they aren't too cold before using them.

Oohhh I love kitchen spice. . One of my favourites!
Yes I've heard about not letting them get cold, I keep mine in a cupboard ln the lounge which is the usual indoor temperature.
I think sometimes no matter what you do certain ones tunnel. .. I'm convinced of it! There's just no rhyme or reason to it at times. Really annoying though!
Thanks for the reply. X

I'm very much an on top fan as opposed to being underneath (the wax, that is!)
Finding that the melts scent throw is a LOT stronger than the jars.

However I have found out two tips that may help Jar users to get best performance

(i) use a fitting ring of foil - like a doughnut and place on the top of the lit jar, the air hole only being an inch or so wide. It saves having to buy a pretty lid, does the same job melting the the jar wax right to the edge, and when you are done, you just throw the foil out, rather than having to clean the sooty flip side of the pretty metal lid - oh soot!! Just hate it!

(ii) If the jar wax gives no throw (which is approx 80% of cases) light it and place it sitting on your hob (ring off of course) :mysmilie_59:under your cooker hood - no need to turn cooker hood on. For some strange reason this placement 'draws up' the scent of the wax, giving a great throw!

Melts idea:
I find the melts give fantastic throw, but its a very expensive way as these melts gram for gram are quite expensive - I mix a fresh open tart with other Yankee less fragranced brand, for example I will split Vanilla cupcake with a crumbled sampler of Yankee Simply Home (Tesco) basic Vanilla, and it gives a good throw and not so pricey

I never throw out the faded used melts. When hardened, pop out, place in a ziplock bag. When you've saved enough, re-melt the lot together and pour into an empty glass jar (or pretty tea cups) with fresh wick. Its amazing as it burns down you will get different scents (the Yankee version of the Willy Wonka everlasting gob stopper!)

Thanks for these tips - very useful.

I'm a Yankee newbie and bought this set when it was a OTO because I'd read so much about Yankee
http://www.qvcuk.com/Yankee-Candle-...=702871-SRCH&cm_sp=VIEWPOSITION-_-26-_-702871

To be honest, I was quite disappointed with a lot of the fragrances, they didn't seem to smell unless I had my nose right over the pot (particularly Beach Wood, Garden Sweet Pea, Sicilian Lemon & Wedding Day - was especially disappointed with WD because I'd heard the Yankee lady saying that she burnt this when she was getting ready for her wedding and how lovely it is but I suppose you get more smell from the jars??) Am I expecting too much from the little candles?

A friend recommended the tarts so I bought a few from Clintons and absolutely love Lake Sunset - well worth a sniff if you haven't tried it! I'm getting more smell from the tarts, I put a November Rain on the landing window and could smell it downstairs but I was wondering what to do with all the left over wax and thought I'd chuck a bit on the fire last night hoping that it would permeate the room with the lovely aroma of Lake Sunset but it didn't work. Hubby told me it wouldn't - that the smell would go straight up the chimney - ****** know all!!! :giggle:

I don't think you get much of a throw from samplers at all. I have stopped buying them and prefer to combine large jars, tarts and tea lights. I always have to have more than one thing burning to get a good scent. Some of the candles are pretty weak, hence my doubling or trebling up.

Latest posts

Back