Yankee Candle TSV 05/12/13

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Thanks for these tips - very useful.

I'm a Yankee newbie and bought this set when it was a OTO because I'd read so much about Yankee
http://www.qvcuk.com/Yankee-Candle-...=702871-SRCH&cm_sp=VIEWPOSITION-_-26-_-702871

To be honest, I was quite disappointed with a lot of the fragrances, they didn't seem to smell unless I had my nose right over the pot (particularly Beach Wood, Garden Sweet Pea, Sicilian Lemon & Wedding Day - was especially disappointed with WD because I'd heard the Yankee lady saying that she burnt this when she was getting ready for her wedding and how lovely it is but I suppose you get more smell from the jars??) Am I expecting too much from the little candles?

A friend recommended the tarts so I bought a few from Clintons and absolutely love Lake Sunset - well worth a sniff if you haven't tried it! I'm getting more smell from the tarts, I put a November Rain on the landing window and could smell it downstairs but I was wondering what to do with all the left over wax and thought I'd chuck a bit on the fire last night hoping that it would permeate the room with the lovely aroma of Lake Sunset but it didn't work. Hubby told me it wouldn't - that the smell would go straight up the chimney - ****** know all!!! :giggle:

Any left over wax I remove the wick and use in my tart burner.

I've had quite a few votives & rarely get any scent from them. I don't know if it is just me though because sometimes other members of my family can smell the scents downstairs even when I have the door shut & I can barely smell anything in the same room as the candle!! They have supersensitive noses I think!!!

I have a tart burner & like it but haven't used it for a while. Am looking forward to getting out all my christmas candle accessories & scents! I find the fresh ones the worst but I like floral, foody & fruity ones...of course festive ones!

I used to buy the large jars but when we redecorated I bought an electric tart warmer. It`s the best thing I ever bought, no more soot, no minimum burn time, the tarts last long enough to like them but not long enough to become fedup of the same fragrance for days on end and many of the tarts smell lovely for much longer than the 8 hours Yankee state they last. Plus if I buy a new fragrance and I dislike it , I`ve wasted approx £1 as opposed to the far more expensive cost of a jar candle.

With regards to candles tunnelling I seem to have real problems with white ones doing this. It could be a coincidence but so far I have had problems with 'Mistletoe and Fig', 'Fluffy Towels', and now I am burning 'Snow In Love' which has also tunnelled. In fact the 'Snow In Love ' barely gives any light at all even when I just started burning it. 'Fluffy Towels ' just wouldn't stop going black around the top of the jar even with a shade on. I always trim the wick and burn for at least 4 hours. I want to get 'Seasons Of Peace' this year but am worried the same will happen to that. I hope I don't sound crazy but it really only is the white candles that I have had this problem with!

With regards to candles tunnelling I seem to have real problems with white ones doing this. It could be a coincidence but so far I have had problems with 'Mistletoe and Fig', 'Fluffy Towels', and now I am burning 'Snow In Love' which has also tunnelled. In fact the 'Snow In Love ' barely gives any light at all even when I just started burning it. 'Fluffy Towels ' just wouldn't stop going black around the top of the jar even with a shade on. I always trim the wick and burn for at least 4 hours. I want to get 'Seasons Of Peace' this year but am worried the same will happen to that. I hope I don't sound crazy but it really only is the white candles that I have had this problem with!

I have a vanilla clouds large jar candle and that hasn't tunnelled, im pretty sure its to do with the cold weather atm , mayb worth putting the candle in the airing cupboard or on top of a radiator for abit before burning them.

I have a vanilla clouds large jar candle and that hasn't tunnelled, im pretty sure its to do with the cold weather atm , mayb worth putting the candle in the airing cupboard or on top of a radiator for abit before burning them.

Thanks for this Autumn. I will try putting on my radiator. x

If the jar really is struggling to melt to the edges with an even burn - it needs a temporary jacket - yep, a jacket of foil. This time not just the foil doughnut on lid, but the whole length of jar. Light wick and wrap the whole jar in foil with shiny side innermost. Leaving a chimney shape on top. In no time the glass will heat up during the insulation process it gains from foil, and then the candle will be happy to burn down evenly even when foil is removed (after about 1 hour you may wish to remove foil) - the glass jar will be quite warm, but I've had no problems with it being too hot

I think you have to be a tight-ar$e (like me!) to think of things like that :wink:

I am trying it now (wax from a leftover votive). It works! Glad it does as the wax evaporates rather than popping the dish in the freezer to remove the used tart. Using the votive wax means the scent does not get weaker either.

I am trying it now (wax from a leftover votive). It works! Glad it does as the wax evaporates rather than popping the dish in the freezer to remove the used tart. Using the votive wax means the scent does not get weaker either.

I thought about doing this too! I'm getting a melt warmer for Christmas and have been saving any chunks of left over wax from my votives for it (along with getting some melts of course), just wrapping them in clingfilm and keeping them in a box. I hadn't thought about the votive wax evaporating, do the melts not evaporate then?

Is there anymore news on the TSV yet?

No the tarts (still can't call them melts, sorry!) don't evaporate to nothing, although the scent gets weaker the solid wax remains and popping it into the freezer for a few minutes makes them slide or pop out of the disc.

With the electric warmer votive wax works well but does not disappear very quickly so you may end up pouring it away!

Thanks Ian. But Gawd... how random a set is that! Put on a blindfold and grab a few YC scents off the shelves and throw in a wicker basket. I love love love Yankee Candles but I think the last TSV was better (although I didn't buy it.)

Latest posts

Back