Help Please for skin problem

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Just to add something I discovered about SBC Collagen Gel which was mentioned earlier. I bought a 1000ml bottle as part of an SBC special offer ages ago and left it and another part of the 3some in the set, the shower creme, on the windowsill. The shower creme is still as good as new and we use it daily but the collagen gel lost its colour (presumably because of being in the sunlight) and turned from a pink gel to a clear, white liquid, not a gel any more. The smell is quite pleasant but different, more like my husband's aftershave and I'm wondering what I'm left with because the ingredients listed are: aqua, alcohol denat, glycerin, cocamidopropyl betane, yeast extract and others. Can anyone shed any light? I don't use it now and should probably throw it out. It's no good putting this on a QVC review - it's been too long gone and they'd never allow it anyway.

I do hope you get to the bottom of your skin problem, though, catseye.

The ingredients in this range would put me in hospital and threaten my life. The allergen free claim is outrageous.

Totally agree , I wouldn't be put into hospital with this range but its only allergen free if your aren't allergic to the ingredients - I am extremely allergic to essential oils and have had some very bad cases of angioedema (lip swelling) due to citral found in lots of skincare ranges that use essential oils. That being said its horses for courses.

I personally can't use any fragrance in skincare, synthetic or natural, parabens, the MI and MCI preservatives and many others so its very hard.

I also can't use anything with mineral oil due to bouts of peri oral dermatitis so with the allergies, contact dermatitis, acne, angiodema and peri oral dermatitis and sjogrens causing sore dry eyes its horrendous to find anything I can use.

I think I have finally found the range for me though - skin repair which is quite new and so far no allergic reactions and its actually making me look better which is wonderful - the key to this range - no emulsifiers, minimal ingredient listing, no fragrance and no parabens and hey it might not work for everyone buts its certainly working for me.

Personally I would say if you are uber sensitive avoid essential oils and fragrance, mineral oil etc if you can and parabens too - keep it really simple. Simple single oils are a good option as long as you don't have a nut allergy etc as many are nut based. SBC range has MI so if you are allergic to that or fragrance its a no go.

Obviously its hard not to use anything hence my years of searching and reactions etc but what I have learnt is that less is so much more - if it smells lovely I probably don't want it anywhere near my face or eyes but that's just me.

Oh and just a note I was prescribed baby strength steroid cream (because I'm so sensitive) by the GP to use on my forehead eczema (yep that too!) and that's what causes peri oral dermatitis and I would say to anyone if you haven't had it you probably don't want to risk getting it (it is absolutely horrible and that's coming from someone with years of frequent allergic reactions) but I guess I'm just prone and others will be fine with steroids etc in fact I wouldn't use any cream prescribed by the GP.

Its hard to say what you should and shouldn't use as we are all so different OP likes premae and I wouldn't go near t, nor would I use crème de la mer or SBC but someone else might look at skin repair that I think is truly wonderful and say nah - not for me but massive luck to you hope whatever it is calms down. I had contact dermatitis testing via a convoluted NHS route after years of problems, a horrible process too as I was stuck with 200 patches which is a lot but it was worth it although I think you'd have to have a pretty bad reaction to be considered for an NHS referral for it.

stay away from fancy expensive skincare they have the most toxic ingredients and loaded with essential oils which in themselves are quite irritating. some people who I know use all the designer skincare have the worse skin not all but some. less is more. and go to you dr asap

The Clinique 3-step has probably been responsible for most of the people I know who have terrible skin problems. Yet they love it so much and swear by it. It really puzzles me. My old hairdresser had awful acne and skin congestion (which she "hid" with EL's Doublewear - good stuff but not when it's plastered on as far as the jawline and badly matched!), but swore by "her" 3-step stuff. She would go into raptures over it, leaving me wondering if she owned a mirror and had no sense of touch!

As someone with extremely sensitive skin to lanolin, perfume and Aloe Vera, I use Garnier Grape products and recently tried my DD's Vegan products from Superdrug with absolutely no irritation http://www.superdrug.com/clearer-skin/simply-pure-calming-cleanser-200ml/invt/204286. I also started this thread in the drop which might be of interest http://forum.shoppingtelly.com/forum/showthread.php?42332-Methylisothiazolinone. I also use Elemis
PCMC but can't use anything else of theirs, but my sis is happy with the TSV extras I can't use lol! Good luck in your quest, hope you find products that work for you.

P.s. Clinique skincare is a no no for me but I can use their makeup, madness. Their soap is as harsh as carbolic!

The ingredients in this range would put me in hospital and threaten my life. The allergen free claim is outrageous.

In your opinion. Every range would put somebody in hospital because some people have weird responses to things. For many, many people, however - including me - Premae is magic. It was recommended to me by a dermatologist.

I'm delighted it works for you scout, you are not under attack.
Since water can be an allergen the 100% allergen free is outrageous and having emailed them they are very pleasant but do 'custom'products to cater for people allergic to the ingredients.
I'm sure it is a high tolerance range and I'm guessing very effective but 100% is going too far.
Domestos and other strong products are forbidden from claiming they kill 100% of germs even though they do.

I've heard and read so many bad things about Clinique 3 step over the years, that I'm surprised it's still going.

I'm a bit late to this party, been away for a couple of days, but what works for me with reactive skin problems is, as other people have said, avoiding fragrance. Anything fragranced sends my skin mental, I avoid it all the time but it's especially important when your skin's upset. Also alcohol, dyes and witch hazel. I'm not sure if it counts as an essential oil or not but menthol is a potent irritant and is best to avoid.
I personally would stay away from SBC gels as they're full of alcohol, although they're mostly good otherwise. I use propolis to help heal sore bits on my body, but I'd never put it on my face.
Being very gentle with cleansing is important too, and exfoliation is a no no for a while.

An item on Radio 4 had me thinking the other day about the risk of micro plastics on marine life. Get the porridge out I think!

The majority of cosmetic industry (*) use in their exfoliating products tiny spherical particles of POLYETHYLENE (the most common type of plastic) as abrasive ingredient. There have been peer-reviewed scientific studies (1) demonstrating that these microparticles (up to 1 mm) are not effectively retained in the waste water treatment plants and end up in rivers and ultimately in the oceans. Plastic is virtually non-degradable in the oceans, due to sea's low temperature and light and is therefore a very pervasive and persistent pollutant. Most of us are aware of the impacts plastic can have in turtles and sea-birds but what is not so widespread is the fact that plastic just fragments into tiny bits ("microplastics") and in some parts of the world can be a few times more abundant than plankton. An emerging recognition is that the microplastics may be entering the food-chain (small crustaceans, shellfish, fish and... consequently humans!) (2, 3) due to its size and abundance, as particle feeders do not distinguish them. Microspheres of plastic represent therefore a direct input and contributor to the oceanic "plastic soup". This is truly unnecessary, as there are alternatives to the use of this compound (e.g. sugar, clay, etc) that though may not be as cheap (and may affect the plastic's industry) are undoubtedly less risky to natural ecosystems and our own health. (*) Brands identified & verified so far: G.M. Collin, Thal'ion, Ducray, Neutrogena, Clerasil, Nivea, Vichy, Kruidvat, Avène, Clarins, Lancôme, ROC, Biogénie, Sisley Paris, Lierac, Guinot, Swisscare, Bella Jovani, Cool Colours Cosmetics, Lise Watier, Dermalogica, L'Oreal, Clinique, Olay…

Latest posts

Back