Andy Hodgson should be fired!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

bingowings

Registered Shopper
I have never been a fan. i cant stand his constant melodic voice. "if you want comfort buy this, if you want support buy this, if you want quality buy this" i loath the way he adopts a naff infomercial patter when ever he does a demonstration. "First you get the steak knife, then you get the carving knife then ...." and I can stand the constant plagiarism of alan partridge.

But most of all i hate the fact that he clearly has no spine and i will explain why.

he obviously reads this forum and is pathetically attempting to please the forum members by denigrating the products he is PAID to sell and making fun of the company that pays he wages. pitiful!
Andy has worked at BID since the beginning. i have watched for years and he never did this before? he was also the main man there for 10 years. and from what i hear he was an incredibly proactive manager. if he said jump. people jumped! so why didnt he or his staff act like this for years? i will tell you why. because nodody on here gave a hoot about bid tv or him until recently thats why!

if i walked into debenhams and asked about the 'hot diamonds' range and the assistant told me the diamonds are 'miniscule and not worth mentioning" my jaw would hit the floor. if a manager in a shop overheard a staff member saying that to a customer they would be pulled aside and spoken to. why? because you are paid to sell. and as much as the people on here want honesty, i think you all are realistic in appreciating what 'sales' is all about!

If you walked into a porche garage to look at a 911 would you expect the salesperson to talk to you about the MPG? The road Tax? the cost of new brake pads? If you walked into an estate agent in kensington would you expect the agent to tell you about the council tax? or the management fee? of course not. its not what sales in the real world is about! its about pointing out the unique selling points of an item in order to stimulate demand. not talking people out of it...

Im amazed the bosses at BID are tolerating his behaviour. any other company would have sacked him by now.

I honestly can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.

I personally think he's the best presenter for the entire channel, by far.

He doesn't do hard sales or pressure tactics. He just says what the product is, and what it isn't.
He doesn't allow viewers to make assumptions about a product being better then it is, which, unfortunately, most of the other presenters do.

Where Peter Simon would say "At this price, don't think about it, just buy!", Hodgson would say "at this price, it might be worth considering".

While I think he's hilarious and brilliantly entertaining, I can understand people not agreeing with that, I can see his type of humour being quite marmite. But I find it hard to understand why someone can't appreciate his approuch to selling; he does everything right, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Are you saying you want him to lie?

I'm sure had people said he was rubbish, you would go out of your way to defend him. But that's my opinion and you are more than entitled to yours.

I think he is Allan Partridge's brother...:mysmilie_17:

He is a very good presenter and is very easy to watch....

He would be a good presenter if he was himself but he never is. It's all just an act. I think he is probably bitter about losing his manager role and is now showing that in his presenting. I can't imagine the bosses will tolerate it for long. He never looks like he sells much. Hardly surprising though. He is always far to busy indulging his own ego on twitter and telling viewers why they shouldn't buy stuff. He clearly is more interested in the opinions of this forum than the requirements of bid!

Are you saying you want him to lie?

I'm sure had people said he was rubbish, you would go out of your way to defend him. But that's my opinion and you are more than entitled to yours.

I don't want him to lie. What an odd thing to suggest. And my opinions are based on a little more substance than opposing yours. If you applaud someone for telling the viewers the diamonds in a deal of the day are !'tiny and not worth mentioning" then that's up to you. Personally I find it a bizarre way to describe a feature of the product. It smacks of bitterness and petulance to me. If he wanted to be honest just say the are accent diamonds and give the size? Why denigrate the product like that? He's not there to review it he is there to sell it. What other presenter on any other shopping channel. Would do that??

I don't want him to lie. What an odd thing to suggest. And my opinions are based on a little more substance than opposing yours. If you applaud someone for telling the viewers the diamonds in a deal of the day are !'tiny and not worth mentioning" then that's up to you. Personally I find it a bizarre way to describe a feature of the product. It smacks of bitterness and petulance to me. If he wanted to be honest just say the are accent diamonds and give the size? Why denigrate the product like that? He's not there to review it he is there to sell it. What other presenter on any other shopping channel. Would do that??

well i applaude them if the diamonds actually are small and not worth mentioning...

That was a silly thing to say in itself.

I think he's fantastic, I've enjoyed watching him on other shows too. I love the way he says the good with the bad and gives the viewer all the information they need to make an informed decision on whether to buy the product, Bingo you would have a point if Bids p&p charges wasn't so high... and the viewer only lost out on a couple of quid if they chose to return the item.

I actually think he's a fantastic presenter & would be great on QVC.

I think he just wants to have a laugh & engage with the viewers (via his twitter which is usually hilarious even when he's not on bid). His AP routine does sometimes make him look a bit sarcastic & blunt but that's what AP is all about and why he's so funny.

I only wish there were more presenters like him :mysmilie_14:

I hope to see some Alpha Papa material in his persona soon lol.

Andy Hodgson is one of the few that I would watch on the Bid, he is funny and a real good laugh. There was another watchable presenter but he seem to have disappeared....(can't remember his name)

Is this a troll thread?
I think it must be, for why else would a presenter be criticized for refusing to stoop to the depths that Peter Simon and James Russell inhabit?

I've been to Curry's before and looking for some decent speakers - the sales assistant I was talking to was more than happy to suggest going across the road to a different outlet to get better ones. This would be similar to Andy telling you not to buy off him but to buy something better from QVC. In sales there are always those who just want to be the best seller to be the top rater for the month, and there are the others who actually want what's best for the customer.

In debenhams Bingo, the customers can actually see that the diamonds in the hot diamonds range are small and not worth mentioning, and can ask the carat weight, deciding there and then whether they want to buy it. Andy on the other hand has to describe things and in my opinion, not misleading and exaggerating should
be applauded!

Is this a troll thread?
I think it must be, for why else would a presenter be criticized for refusing to stoop to the depths that Peter Simon and James Russell inhabit?

Firstly do you not think its a tad rude to call someone a troll? i am expressing my opinion. i appreciate it may be different to your and others, but to resort to insulting people is uncalled for.

I think Andy is under the impression that the views of this forum represent the views of the viewing public. unfortunately for him nothing could be further from the truth. the presenters you like are the ones who make the least money for BID and the products you hate are the ones that make the most money for BID. i wouldn't be surprised if bids managers came on here to see who you like so they can kick them up the backside, and what products you hate so they can buy more of them lol

The problem is here, that Andy is just being brutally honest. When you think, if I buy a product based on certain presenters presentation, and I get something not what I was led to
believe I was getting, I have to spend £7.99 on the postage to get it to me, and then I have to PAY to send it back. For my safety it will be recommended I post with a tracked service, cheapest is 93p on top of postal charge, so let's be fair and say it's £3 postage to return it to bid, then I am paying £11.92 just to try a product.
Would you not feel bitter about getting a product home to find it is not very much like the presenter described? and have to pay £11.92 to find this out? Andy is perhaps keeping lots of customers if you look at it that way, because if I did buy something based on erroneous presentation and did have to fork out £11.92 for a waste of time, I would never even watch the channel again, let alone trust anyone on it. Andy is very likely trying to rebuild some trust in customers, shattered by other presentations and other presenters.
How anyone can say that honesty is a bad sales tactic is beyond me.

Latest posts

Back