I just have to accept I an c**p at baking :(

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Weathergirl

Registered Shopper
I try. Very hard. Having once paid my little brother 10 pence so that he would make me some scones so I would get my Brownie badge I really should have known better. Scones (which I pronounce as rhyming with "ones") still remain the holy grail for me. I fail every time I try.

So today I thought I would follow a recipe for banana cream pie. I followed the recipe in my American cookbook to the letter. I measured all the ingredients and was really careful to ensure I whisked for the correct time. I was so careful that I wonder whether the recipe was wrong. It was supposed to have a lovely dark chocolate and double cream "glaze". It ended up looking like an unmentionable.

Have come to the conclusion that I am just unable to bake. I really want to be able to do it but it isn't going to happen.No point in me getting the kitchen aid is there? What a waste of money that would be!

Your post made me smile WG because I feel your pain. I too am rubbish at baking and my pastry would make a perfect roof covering. My Mother was a fabulous baker and didn`t use scales or an electric mixer. She weighed everything by hand and judged the look of things by eye. Everything she made looked and tasted perfect. I once asked her to teach me how to make her pastry and mid teaching session she stopped me and said " give up girl, you`ll never make good pastry because you don`t roll it, you beat it into submission ! " and she said I was just too heavy handed. My sister inherited her magic touch with baking and before she became disabled her kitchen would be filled with beautiful cakes, pies and handmade bread. Mine was filled with Mr Kipling and Hovis lol

Just try 6oz of everything with 2 eggs. Fairy cakes voila- or if posh call them cupcakes. Cream butter & sugar add 2 eggs, fold in flour, whisk and hey presto. Cover in topping of choice. For larger volume or Victoria sponge 8oz of everything with 3 eggs. It's fool proof. Good luck.

6oz SRF I always add teaspoon of baking powder to this.
6oz butter
6oz sugar caster or granulated
2 eggs.

I will give that a try next time. I like the sound of something foolproof and victoria sponge is my favourite.

Foolproof mix, easy peasy and tasty. Mix in bowl and drop onto baking tray (generous sizes for an ample scone), they bake very light. Don't roll out and frilly cut, this takes the air out and are not as successful.

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/sain...e_Baking/Sainsburys_Plain_Scone_Mix_320g.html

I remember Gary Rhodes (I think it was he) saying never twist the cutter when cutting out scones. Never said why and I always wondered - perhaps this is the reason.

Latest posts

Back