Halo - advice please

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Satis

Registered Shopper
Because you all raved about it, I bought some Smashbox Halo. (This is one of the reasons I sometimes disappear for a long while -- to try to curb my spending!) Anyhow, I bought it from the US on Ebay and not from QVC so I didn't see a demo. Or if I did, I wasn't paying attention.

I've been using it like Bare Escentuals, but I'm not getting a very good effect. Not good coverage; well, not as good as BE anyhow.

I vaguely remember someone saying they used theirs over something else. Any advice? I love the concept and the bit where you grate new supplies.

(Incidentally, when I was busily economising in Sainsburys the other day, I bought some of the new L'Oreal True Match foundation. In my opinion it's not a patch on BE but it's quite nice. Insctructions are totally inadequate though.)

I just use a good concealer on my 'imperfections' then apply the halo. You need to do a sort of BE swirl tap brush method to put it on.

I love it and think it is way better than BE as I find BE is a bit too heavy for me and leaves you too powdery. But I did use BE for years till they invented halo, wouldn't go back now. As you say the grater system is wonderful - no more mess.

Some people say they put it on over another foundation but I find I don't need this.

Rosey has gave great advice, use concealer where you need it and apply Halo as a finish. I use it as a finishing powder myself, just a light dusting over a light layer of foundation. To be honest I think Halo is not really a foundation at all, but a finishing powder. I don't use mineral foundation so I have no idea of the finish you get from BE.

Jayne would really be the one to answer the question. She sells bought ranges on her site(new one up and running soon hopefully).

Jayne would really be the one to answer the question. She sells bought ranges on her site(new one up and running soon hopefully).
Yes, Jayne held my hand throughout my traumatic experiments with BE!

I love the finish BE gave my skin, but it started to make me really itch when i got hot, ive since tried Phylosophy supernatural canvas and im now trying the Halo. I must admit im pleased with the feel Halo gives my skin but i do miss my BE.

After years of using BE and Philosophy Supernatural mineral foundations, I've switched to Prescriptives foundations and am loving the stick one in particular. I didn't think the coverage was that great with the Halo powder tbh. Like others, I swirl it over my Prescriptives as a finishing powder now.

Hi Donna - we are getting there (aaaargh) - cannot believe it - at least the host server is now the right one. Fingers crossed for live site tomorrow)

Hi SallyAnn - how's things - I spoke to Andrew the other day

I think Jabba is spot on re the foundation - it does have coverage, but nothing that will match a true foundation. I did do a long post when we first got it (I think that might have been on the other site before the crash)

You can either do what Rosey does, which is fine for example for skins that need / prefer less coverage (and good for a jeans and T shirt day for those who still like makeup) or use it as a finishing powder.

If you like a light natural finish it will be OK but not for anything more. I like it with Healthy FX - I think it it the perfect partnership.

Just FYI, BE are bringing out a new hydrating mineral veil / powder in November :54:

Ooooo Halo - did i mention I love this :)

I use it as my foundation. I'm too lazy to layer anything.

The technique I use (if I could describe it as that). Get the mini kabuki I got in my TSV grate the powder 12-12.30 (to 1pm on the dial is too much for me) - i must have a freakishly small face lol.

I sweep my brush in the powder and sweep over my face a couple of times.

I don't buff as my skin is so sensitive and prone to flakiness (lovely!) that I would end up looking like a lizard.

I get a good coverage. I then use a shadow brush, dip into the powder and load up on any bits that need more coverage - I have some pretty bad red veins and then I'm good to go. I work in a hot office and am always rushing about and it lasts me all day - 6.30am to when I get in from work.

I don't like a full full coverage but it evens out my skin fantastically and definitely looks more healthy sheeny than other minerals i've tried. Love it.

Good luck with yours Satis.

The problem with BE is that you have to put sooo many layers on - first the powder concealer, then the foundation, then the glee all over, then the blusher and finally the mineral viel - I can't be bothered with all this each morning so as I said above a bit of concealer then a swirl of halo and good to go.

Might try Lady Tia's method tomorrow of just going straight to the halo then a bit of 'neat' halo on the bad bits - could be quicker, which can only be a good thing.:1:

ps I don't use the little kabuki brush from the tsv I use the big #19 or #29 brush which came with the halo on its own from qvc - keep the little one in my bag for touch up's (which I don't need often as it lasts all day)

Again Rosey is spot on. The little kabuki with the Halo is useless appart from touch ups. Even the Smashbox sa told me it was, but since Halo needs to be applied with a brush Smashbox had to put one in.

Another great brush to use with it is the Ulimate large Kabuki it has thick bristles. Just Direct sells these and so many swear by these brushes.

Again Rosey is spot on. The little kabuki with the Halo is useless appart from touch ups. Even the Smashbox sa told me it was, but since Halo needs to be applied with a brush Smashbox had to put one in.

Another great brush to use with it is the Ulimate large Kabuki it has thick bristles. Just Direct sells these and so many swear by these brushes.

I use the small kabuki I got in the TSV and think its absolutely fine.

I use the halo on its own and over tinted moisturiser or foundation.

When I use it on its own, I use a good amount and buff it in really well (just like BE). The more I buff, the more coverage I get. It takes on a really creamy finish, not like a powder at all. It means that the initial look is slightly chalky, but by the time I've put on mascara etc.. it has melted/blended in perfectly.

When I wear it over a cream base (eg Healthy FX) I use much less and give it just a light buffing over the top. I find that I don't really have to use much under eye concealer when I do this.

I have much more success using the #29 brush that came with my first pot of halo than the kabuki from the TSv (I must a have a bigger face than you Lady Tia!!)

Hi SallyAnn - how's things - I spoke to Andrew the other day......

You can either do what Rosey does, which is fine for example for skins that need / prefer less coverage use it as a finishing powder.

Hi Jayne, nice to hear from you.

Thank you. I think I was expecting it to provide the same amount of coverage as BE, which I need, frankly. I have used it as a powder over ordinary foundation, and liked it a lot, but clearly it's no good on its own. Would probably be nice with the tinted Smashbox base.

As for Andrew, he and I are locked in a perpetual game of Scrabble which has been going on for months!

I am still getting used to Halo - am trying the light but wonder if I should have gone for the medium (currently use BE in medium as have very pink undertones).

Think I might try mixing the 2 together tomorrow and see how that looks.

I think I probably should have gone for Fair (went for Light).I quite like the Light but my dd said it's a bit yellowy for me(have got pink undertones too).Of course,she could be just saying that because she quite fancies the Light for herself :54:

I think I probably should have gone for Fair (went for Light).I quite like the Light but my dd said it's a bit yellowy for me(have got pink undertones too).Of course,she could be just saying that because she quite fancies the Light for herself :54:

I think that's my problem too - it being too yellow - but I love the kit (especially the gloss) and don't want to return it. Think I will have to be creative with the Halo and BE in the meantime :1:

I think they should bring out more shades in the halo (which they might do now it is so popular) as light is really light and medium is quite dark - they definately need something in between. I mix the two to get a perfect colour. Would imagine this is a problem if you are lighter with fair and light.

Latest posts

Back