Thoughts/Opinions on Bid rebrand

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I only watched 10/15 mins last night, my impression in that short time was... wouldn't it be good if Shop Bid made a go of straight selling and was opposition to QVC. Time will tell, but I really do wish them well....

I've no idea about the name change, Pola. I read elsewhere that the company left a bunch of irate tweets on the Bid account which were promptly removed. I assumed they must have been treated pretty badly by the company.

Thanks for the info, GL.

Could you explain a little bit more please, GL? And do you know why they changed from 'Panjaban' to 'Punjaban'?

My guess is that Sit-up wanted a degree of exclusivity (enabling no direct price comparisons, etc.), so forced a name change for any stock supplied through them but Sit-up subsequently backed out of the deal because they couldn't pay, hence leaving them with a pile of unsold rebranded stock and an upset supplier. That allegation is purely guesswork and I'm welcome to be corrected if untrue.

Whatever it was, it must have left a bad taste in the mouth :mysmilie_46:

My guess is that Sit-up wanted a degree of exclusivity (enabling no direct price comparisons, etc.), so forced a name change for any stock supplied through them but Sit-up subsequently backed out of the deal because they couldn't pay, hence leaving them with a pile of unsold rebranded stock and an upset supplier. That allegation is purely guesswork and I'm welcome to be corrected if untrue.

Whatever it was, it must have left a bad taste in the mouth :mysmilie_46:

Sounds about spot on PP - they are utterly shameless.

Personally I feel Sit-up should have rebranded Bid.tv with a pirate theme. yarrr :mysmilie_59:

One legged-Bearded-Gollum
Oneeyed-Sally-parrot-lips-Flapjack
Untrusty-Sherlock-of-the-seven-seas
Peter-one-leg-simon

shop at 'bid' ... can understand them not wanting to completely move away from their brand but there's no bidding now so the new name doesn't truly fit. 'hi, welcome to poundworld where everything is £1.20' 'hi welcome to the london vauxhall centre, we have the best deals on nissan's anywhere in town.'

what are they trying to achieve? 'if' they're aiming to transition from their previous stack 'em high sell 'em cheap shouty shouty give us a bid model to a more mainstream QVC / IW esque model then the launch was wrong. having the run up segments with peter dressed as aladdin was, for me, cheap and tacky, fitting for their previous model but not their new model if i'm correct in my above surmising. and the way mike mason shouted his way through the first 10 mins of the launch was again old model. does paul becque shout as much on IW as he did when on bid? as others have said i feel a different presenting approach will be required.

new set, step in right direction but for me brick walls, especially obviously fake ones, are old school. did jerry springer not use them 20 years ago???

new logo, emmm not great.

variable p&p, good .. as long as they honour this approach and aren't charging £7.99 for light/small/lower priced items a few weeks from now.

20p per min calls, good if customers can complete the call <5 mins.

pricing. the launch product (tefal thingy) was reasonably priced even with other charges. cheapest out there no, but still fair bit cheaper than players such as argos etc. question is will competitive pricing remain or quickly slip away post launch.

brands. have to be honest i don't sit glued to these channels so not sure what their product range has been like since launch in terms of brands. what they need to remember is there's a difference between publicly known brands and brands that are also known ... but only within the world of shopping telly.

if they have a vibrant social media community they should, as QVC do, have the facebook and twitter logos on their screen graphics encouraging folk to interact more.

anyways ... i have some bad news ... i suspect as the coming years roll by the whole 'shopping telly' format will die as younger generations come through that are used to doing everything (including purchasing) via their smart devices. 'and on that bomb-shell' as jeremy clarkson says, GOODNIGHT! well, good afternoon at least ... it's only 2.30!!

shop at 'bid' ... can understand them not wanting to completely move away from their brand but there's no bidding now so the new name doesn't truly fit. 'hi, welcome to poundworld where everything is £1.20' 'hi welcome to the london vauxhall centre, we have the best deals on nissan's anywhere in town.'

what are they trying to achieve? 'if' they're aiming to transition from their previous stack 'em high sell 'em cheap shouty shouty give us a bid model to a more mainstream QVC / IW esque model then the launch was wrong. having the run up segments with peter dressed as aladdin was, for me, cheap and tacky, fitting for their previous model but not their new model if i'm correct in my above surmising. and the way mike mason shouted his way through the first 10 mins of the launch was again old model. does paul becque shout as much on IW as he did when on bid? as others have said i feel a different presenting approach will be required.

new set, step in right direction but for me brick walls, especially obviously fake ones, are old school. did jerry springer not use them 20 years ago???

new logo, emmm not great.

variable p&p, good .. as long as they honour this approach and aren't charging £7.99 for light/small/lower priced items a few weeks from now.

20p per min calls, good if customers can complete the call <5 mins.

pricing. the launch product (tefal thingy) was reasonably priced even with other charges. cheapest out there no, but still fair bit cheaper than players such as argos etc. question is will competitive pricing remain or quickly slip away post launch.

brands. have to be honest i don't sit glued to these channels so not sure what their product range has been like since launch in terms of brands. what they need to remember is there's a difference between publicly known brands and brands that are also known ... but only within the world of shopping telly.

if they have a vibrant social media community they should, as QVC do, have the facebook and twitter logos on their screen graphics encouraging folk to interact more.

anyways ... i have some bad news ... i suspect as the coming years roll by the whole 'shopping telly' format will die as younger generations come through that are used to doing everything (including purchasing) via their smart devices. 'and on that bomb-shell' as jeremy clarkson says, GOODNIGHT! well, good afternoon at least ... it's only 2.30!!

Couldn't add anything to this, you have summed up exactly how I feel about the launch, especially the promo for it.

PJ

Sadly they seem to be selling exactly the same old shite (there's another interminable Gayford evening on Friday)

You can put lipstick on a Gollum but it's still a Gollum.

Their Facebook page is full of complaints and boycotting....

out of the two threads there are just a handful of comments saying they like the changes! oh dear.

out of the two threads there are just a handful of comments saying they like the changes! oh dear.

Poor Gollum, he was so excited and exuberant.

He's utterly clueless to his shiteness.

What changes though? They can call it what they like, it's the same old tat sold by the same old terrible presenters!

Gollum had tanzy jewellery on last night. A bracelet that was a DOTD a few weeks back for £99.99 was £119.99 last night but it did have reduced postage at £4.99. Also a ring that Justin Swivelhips had a promo of before Christmas, same price at £69.99 with £4.99 postage. Then came a cheaper ring at £21.99, silver again with a solitaire stone. For the while I listened, no size was mentioned and I got sick of waiting so don't know at what point the size was mentioned, if it was. It wasn't on the graphics for some reason. For this ring the postage went up to £6.99!!!

The postage, coupled with the long delivery time, are things which need sorting for them to have any chance of continuing for much longer I would have thought.

Hopped on just now and the presenter said they're working on bringing the call back (or maybe it was no call back) option back? I have man flu so might have got that completely wrong!!

Hopped on just now and the presenter said they're working on bringing the call back (or maybe it was no call back) option back? I have man flu so might have got that completely wrong!!

Sorry to hear you are not well, you clearly have not got your worry angel to hand to ward off such ailments.

Hope you are on the mend soon :)

PJ

Sent from my Vodafone 354 using Forum Runner *meep meep*

So that went well...

Wasn't actually looking for Shop at Bid feedback on Twitter but purely by accident I came across this telling response to the changes (identities erased to protect the innocent):

shopatbidtweet.jpg
So the combined heft of Mike Mason, Peter Simon, Shouting Sally and goodness knows who else, inflated call charges and postage, dropping product quality, increased delivery times, etc., never put off that particular customer from buying, but "Shop at Bid"? No thanks!

Some people never fail to amaze me, but even if that attitude's only representative of a few of their customers (and the new look fails to attract a significant number of new buyers to replace them) then Shop at Bid risks being a dismal failure at a time when they cannot afford to put a foot wrong (even though they have been doing precisely that in other ways as well).

I like to think they are going to phase out the tat and gradually replace it with respectable products.

And i'd like to think that Peter Sherlock will never again pollute Britain with another of his quite appalling fragrances.

Sadly I think we're both wrong Mr Tom.

i'm suffering from lord kean withdrawals :-(

He'll reappear somewhere soon, i'd keep an eye out for the new 'Seabond' commercials.

They had a big, ugly resin Garden Ornament with £6.99 p+p in 5-10 working days and now they have a Watch with £7.99 p+p in upto 14 working days.

He'll reappear somewhere soon, i'd keep an eye out for the new 'Seabond' commercials.

They had a big, ugly resin Garden Ornament with £6.99 p+p in 5-10 working days and now they have a Watch with £7.99 p+p in upto 14 working days.

i think the new format will suit many of the presenters. It's certainly less manic... no background music or fast paced screaming to subtly influence.

Latest posts

Back