Mark Ryes Radio 4 24/4/14 12noon

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I'm not a TV professional, but I would have thought an important rule of broadcasting is not to gabble the way Mark just did. He was speaking so quickly I'll have to relisten to make sure I caught it all.

Good grief, he really has got a chip on his shoulder hasn't he? 'That was a clip from 2011 by the way'. I loved the presenters highly condescending BBC reply 'yes, we know it was. We lifted it off YouTube' . She couldn't have been any more patronising if she tried.

But did you hear when he suggested part of the reason they went bust was because there are more entertainment channels? Deluded little man.

No mention of the shystering, the ripoff p+p, the pathetic products and the talentless hosts.

Hilarious. I'm not sure he exactly sold himself there :mysmilie_15:

I was out and forgot to tape it. Clearly I didn't miss much. Thank you to all those who listened and updated us all, much appreciated!

Muttley, can I just say that it's difficult for me to see what the purpose of the interview was other than for a fabulously sniffy BBC host to look down her nose at an ex-Selly Telly Tool.

Exactly how many of her audience would even of heard of Sit-Up? Not many I fancy.

But my word that man is prickly, we saw it for years with the assistants. He clearly appears to struggle to interact with people on a one on one basis without sounding rude, chippy or just plain awkward.

I'm just surprised he didn't mention his Mum & Dad. He is Timothy Lumsden.

sorry.jpg

Muttley, can I just say that it's difficult for me to see what the purpose of the interview was other than for a fabulously sniffy BBC host to look down her nose at an ex-Selly Telly Tool.

Exactly how many of her audience would even of heard of Sit-Up? Not many I fancy.

But my word that man is prickly, we saw it for years with the assistants. He clearly appears to struggle to interact with people on a one on one basis without sounding rude, chippy or just plain awkward.

I'm just surprised he didn't mention his Mum & Dad. He is Timothy Lumsden.

View attachment 10439

I can't say that I was a particular fan of his on Bid, although he didn't offend me like one or two others did. However you are right about his manner regarding interaction and I love the comparison with Timothy Lumsden! Remember the catchphrase "Language Timothy"! Also, you have to wonder how many of the Radio 4 audience would have heard of Bid TV or interested in it unless it was an in depth look into the changes in shopping habits in Britain.

I can't say that I was a particular fan of his on Bid, although he didn't offend me like one or two others did. However you are right about his manner regarding interaction and I love the comparison with Timothy Lumsden! Remember the catchphrase "Language Timothy"! Also, you have to wonder how many of the Radio 4 audience would have heard of Bid TV or interested in it unless it was an in depth look into the changes in shopping habits in Britain.

Mark was competent, usually knew the products well and was almost always compliant. He's a Broadcasting Professional, there's no doubt about that.

But he is utterly charmless. A charmless man.

He was the male equivalent of Caroline Lyndsay. I'm sure he and Caroline will get work though, unlike many of the other amateur, bullshitting, show off's.

I thought it was nice of him to acknowledge that they never got to say goodbye.

The presenter asked/cajoled him into pimping himself out for future work... but nodoubt he is going to get abused for it on here.

He was on air for three mins at most.

He didn't take much cajoling!!!

He didn't take much cajoling!!!

Given how poorly he came across I think a bit of self promotion is forgiveable.

But I doubt Adam Crozier picked up the phone to call his agent. Phillip Schofield is safe :mysmilie_59:

Given how poorly he came across I think a bit of self promotion is forgiveable.

But I doubt Adam Crozier picked up the phone to call his agent. Phillip Schofield is safe :mysmilie_59:

I thought it came across as a bit crass and desperate. It's BBC Radio 4, for goodness sake not community Radio Norfluck.

I didn't mind pocket sized tbh, and he said what he could on the interview and took the chance to thank all the loyal customers. Shame though that they're all out there trying to promote themselves 'cause I doubt if we'll hear any of them admitting what out and out tat they were selling any time soon, and THAT I'd LOVE to hear. We can all imagine it, of course we can, and yes I know some of them went totally ott with the lies and bullshit. What I really want to know is what they REALLY thought of the stuff they were wearing, the cheap tat, the frumpy clothes etc, the worst quality they ever witnessed, the biggest stretch of truth they had to make...Perhaps Guy Kean will tell us, he doesn't seem to care what he says about the channels...C'mon Guy spill the beans!

I'm glad I didn't sit through 30 mins plus of You and Yours just to hear 3 minutes of the Pocket Sized. It really is Radio 4's daily equivalent of a hefty dose of Mogadon.

It was a pointless exercise really. He added nothing to the discussion, but he didn't come across well. Apart from talking faster than a runaway train, he told us nothing. Winifred sounded impressed.

I thought it came across as a bit crass and desperate. It's BBC Radio 4, for goodness sake not community Radio Norfluck.

Well as everyone knows I could never be as blunt as that Mr Greg but I broadly agree with your sentiments :mysmilie_59:

Mark was competent, usually knew the products well and was almost always compliant. He's a Broadcasting Professional, there's no doubt about that.

But he is utterly charmless. A charmless man.

He was the male equivalent of Caroline Lyndsay. I'm sure he and Caroline will get work though, unlike many of the other amateur,

bullshitting, show off's.

I wasn't a big fan of Caroline or Mark, but in the mix with some of the shite presenters on the two channels they came over as almost good... LOL

I wasn't a big fan of Caroline or Mark, but in the mix with some of the shite presenters on the two channels they came over as almost good... LOL

While they weren't the most likeable characters in broadcasting terms Mark and Caroline were head and shoulders above the likes of Sherlock, Mason, Jacks and Russell who really are glorified sales people and nothing more.

I'm sure the two of them will get to work on Corporate Videos, Voiceover's and the likes. They'll be fine.

Latest posts

Back