Brash TV

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys....

With respect I dont think anyone on these forums really fully understands exactly what is involved in launching a channel to air.

There are various comments about the set etc... our set may be small but it cost a considerable amount of money...the lighting was almost £5,000 alone!

I wont go into great details about production costs and airtime costs but why would we spend thousands on a huge studio with a huge set...surely its the products that count?

How many people have battle with an outsourced overseas call centre when placing an order? We have kept our operation in the UK.

How many people have sent and email to a channel or posted a social media comment and not had a response. Not here we reply within minutes.

All this comes at a huge labour cost. We are investing in customer experience and product rather than immaterial things like studios sets!

Unlike many M.D's I have posted my personal email address for feedback, yet I havent had a single email?

If you dont want to buy then fair enough but please give us a chance to shine before hoping onto these forums and slating. Its very down heartening for the team who are working hard behind the scenes to create something which we hope to be around for years.

Think back to how some of the other channels started out....

Ross.

Last edited:
Hi Guys....

With respect I dont think anyone on these forums really fully understands exactly what is involved in launching a channel to air.

There are various comments about the set etc... our set may be small but it cost a considerable amount of money...the lighting was almost £5,000 alone!

I wont go into great details about production costs and airtime costs but why would we spend thousands on a huge studio with a huge set...surely its the products that count?

How many people have battle with an outsourced overseas call centre when placing an order? We have kept our operation in the UK.

How many people have sent and email to a channel or posted a social media comment and not had a response. Not here we reply within minutes.

All this comes at a huge labour cost. We are investing in customer experience and product rather than immaterial things like studios sets!

Unlike many M.D's I have posted my personal email address for feedback, yet I havent had a single email?

If you dont want to buy then fair enough but please give us a chance to shine before hoping onto these forums and slating. Its very down heartening for the team who are working hard behind the scenes to create something which we hope to be around for years.

Ross.

That was a great post and I really hope you do well! Some people on here can be very negative and should be more supportive.

Everyone has had a bad experience in their lives with companies, it doesn't mean there all bad.

Hi Guys....

Ross.

I agree most people (including me) don't understand what is involved in setting up a 'channel', how much lighting costs and the cost of studio space but there's a good reason for that.

Because your average shopping telly viewer probably couldn't care less Ross.

What they almost certainly do care about is having a potential purchase item fully demonstrated, that's usually the main advantage shopping telly has over the high street. It's just my opinion but maybe you need a slightly larger studio so you can demonstrate the products, or produce some VT's demonstrating the products.

Lisa is obviously an experienced host but she appeared to be restricted by lack of space. Placing a hot Halogen Oven lid on the floor was very odd and even more so when the oven came with a Lid Stand, a great selling point as they aren't always supplied but she couldn't demonstrate it being used because the podium was so small.

On the plus side some of your prices are very good and it was great to see a channel using genuine price comparisons. I wish you the best of luck and i'm sorry you haven't received any direct feedback but personally I prefer to comment publicly.

From what I saw, Lisa seemed in her element.

Looked great and didn't seem pressured at all.

From what I saw, Lisa seemed in her element.

Looked great and didn't seem pressured at all.

Maybe not pressured but imo a wee bit short of space.....:mysmilie_850:

To have a successful business, you need to have an air of credibility about you.

If you have a studio that is no bigger than a broom cupboard and products that don't get demonstrated, potential viewers will switch over to other shopping channels who do put their resources and energy into presentations that draw in the punters. Short-cuts will cost your business in the end.

To have a successful business, you need to have an air of credibility about you.

If you have a studio that is no bigger than a broom cupboard and products that don't get demonstrated, potential viewers will switch over to other shopping channels who do put their resources and energy into presentations that draw in the punters. Short-cuts will cost your business in the end.

I suppose any start up is likely to have teething problems such as less than perfect camera work, that's fine and can no doubt be fixed. But it's the lack of detailed demo's that's the problem for me, I fancy it would be for most potential customers too. Of course Lisa was more than capable, looked great and seemed comfortable (she even sailed through the problem with the safety release on the oven).

But if you're going to sell what i'd call shopping telly 'fodder' such as Vacuum Cleaner's, Halogen Oven's, Steam Iron's, Fan's and Kettle's (all of which are sold endlessly on any number of the near 30 shopping channels on Sky) I really think you need to do something to grab a potential punter's attention. I honestly don't think they've done that, not yet.

I guess time will tell, I do wish them well though but just right now I wouldn't personally be inclined to buy from them.

Hi Guys....

Ross.

Now some people are tuning in to be entertained not necessarily to buy in that respect having the presenter fixed to one spot for an hour is not good, you need a bigger studio to allow the presenter some freedom, it isn't entertaining to see someone stand on the spot, imagine some of Peter Simon's greatest Bid moments where when he was parading around using the set to its fullness.

So saying it's about the product is not true you need the non buyers tuning in to tell there friends about it who might buy, they won't be entertained by the presenter having no freedom.

As I said before you started entertainment and interaction is just as important as the product if you don't it becomes dull and repetative.

I am disappointed you think the set is immaterial if this were the case all tv sets would look alike, tv sets are iconic and can make a programme, imagine would Sky News look the same if it was in front of a false wall rather than the impressive Sky News Room.

Last edited:
Ross, I am sorry to learn that you and your team feel so strongly, upset and disappointed about the comments on the shopping telly forum, hopefully you can learn from these and prosper, but I, probably like others, thought that is exactly what you were looking for; honest feedback.

For the record, some of us do fully understand the technical aspects and the costs involved; my contributions on this forum have taken that into consideration at all times and were meant to be constructive and helpful.

In response to your comment about email, from my perspective I was waiting to see the next batch of new broadcasts on Sunday and Monday before starting any further discussions. I thought that was reasonable and fair, to give you a chance to put right any initial teething problems before going any further.

With the public forum posts I try to be balanced, and I have certainly given a lot of time to offering ideas, feedback and suggestions, even before the launch. I had the longevity and future of the channel and company in mind, and thought I was being helpful.

Taking everything in your comment into consideration, I wish you every success, but I will now refrain from posting or discussing anything further about your channel, and that includes via email correspondence. That is a great shame though as I was actually quite looking forward to watching and discussing the progress of the channel over the duration of this month.

False assumption, I have personally been employed to launch a channel to air including the build of studio and full production of studio content - the difference is, that was/is a full time TV channel, you are only airing for 2 hours a week - you're not a channel, but just an advertiser. I've worked freelance for various companies like yourselves that purchases teleshopping airtime, and even when airing for several hours EVERY night, it's not nearly as difficult as you make out.

Airtime has never cost so little and can be purchased for anything from £80-£100 an hour and if you honestly spent £5,000 on lighting, you were well and truly ripped off and should be demanding a refund, that kind of budget could light a set 10 times your size.

As I said in my first post about this advertiser, first impressions count for everything - what good is a UK based call centre when no one calls as viewers don't feel confident enough in your company from a shabby on-screen appearance or convinced to buy a product based on a lazy dry sell. And as for a hands on approach on this website, your time would be better trying to improve your offering rather than trying to convince users that they're wrong and you are right.

I really don't like to be negative on a new offering but just can't stand the exaggeration and misleading information put out by the owner - if you seriously received 200 calls on your first night and lets say only 25% of those were orders then you'd most certainly be broadcasting for more than 2 hours a week.

Hi Guys....

Ross.

The only comment i will pick up on, just because a call centre is in the UK, that goes for ZERo in the times we live in. When i have the misfortune of phoning any call centre which is rare, The UK call centre staff, for one, aren't even British, i couldnae careless where someone is from,but they need to be able to speak English and very good at it,and what companies actually forget to tell you is you might be calling a UK call centre number, however alot of them either get redirected to South Africa or India..

Hi Guys....

Ross.

Respect start by showing my members some, then tune into Discount Store TV at 6.30pm and see how it should be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back