Greg Scott on the demise of Sit Up

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

This is quite interesting. Former Price Drop presenter Greg Scott talks about the end of the Sit Up channels. It starts roughly halfway through the clip:

http://t.co/OZEszygLpX

Thank's for the clip boredshopper. Interesting sound clip - Greg Scott was before my time but said pretty much what we already know. Also he said he had the chance to return to Bid but didn't - good on him. Hope some juicy goss is revealed sooner rather than later.:mysmilie_59:

Oh Greg Oh Greg Oh Greg having worked with you don't pretend you wouldn't have gone back if you were struggling you have a lovely wife and kids to feed and you never were overwhelmed with offers.

Come on you have done Bingo calling, Countdown warm up, local radio dj, Price-Drop and Quizmania (itv play?) hardly a list where going back to Price Drop would have seemed like giving everything up.

You knew when you was on there you were doing £7.99 p&p and mocking the gemstone globes that paid your wages now is a bit much.

You are a nice bloke and a laugh but this image you have of being more important in tv and radio than you are is why you haven't progressed knowing Carol Vorderman and Richard Whiteley isn't something to base your future on.

It's quite interesting that i considered the man a cult hero of mine (due to quizmania) but after following him on twitter.... well lets say people say you should never meet your heroes.

If he isn't being a bitter man, he is begging for a job.

Which is fine.... it's just not the guy i knew at 4am on itv.

Oh Greg Oh Greg Oh Greg having worked with you don't pretend you wouldn't have gone back if you were struggling you have a lovely wife and kids to feed and you never were overwhelmed with offers.
I'm not saying that he's either lying or telling the truth, but it's still perfectly possible that he did turn down a recent offer to return to Sit-up on the basis that it could damage his modest career progression, effectively returning his career to square one again. He himself knows all too well how difficult it is to progress as a presenter unless your name's Ant or Dec, and the job offer could have come at a late stage when Sit-up product quality had declined to an all-time low. And he didn't really mock gemstone globes, come to think of it; this was more a commentary about falling price auctions with their sometimes implausible 'start' prices.

However it's a damning indictment of Sit-up that anyone who has ever worked for the company have effectively been tarnished with the same brush regardless of how good they were/are, with perhaps the exception of Debbie Greenwood (who joined at a point when they appeared to be half-serious about changing their image and promptly bailing out when it turned out to be a mirage).

I'm not saying that he's either lying or telling the truth, but it's still perfectly possible that he did turn down a recent offer to return to Sit-up on the basis that it could damage his modest career progression, effectively returning his career to square one again. He himself knows all too well how difficult it is to progress as a presenter unless your name's Ant or Dec, and the job offer could have come at a late stage when Sit-up product quality had declined to an all-time low. And he didn't really mock gemstone globes, come to think of it; this was more a commentary about falling price auctions with their sometimes implausible 'start' prices.

However it's a damning indictment of Sit-up that anyone who has ever worked for the company have effectively been tarnished with the same brush regardless of how good they were/are, with perhaps the exception of Debbie Greenwood (who joined at a point when they appeared to be half-serious about changing their image and promptly bailing out when it turned out to be a mirage).

i got the impression from him that all tv is ****... unless he presents it.

But he can't get tv work... and therein lies the paradox.

Though i did think he was right about sit up.

i got the impression from him that all tv is ****... unless he presents it.

But he can't get tv work... and therein lies the paradox.

Though i did think he was right about sit up.

Yes Greg is a lovely man and was a laugh to work with but unfortunately the people he is supposed to be on a par with I am afraid are beneath him and it's a shame because he is a very friendly man just thinks he is higher than he is and likes people to know this and loves it when people think he is special.

In my opinion Bid Shopping was beneath him now and his ego could not let him go back unless he can realise that he isn't destined for big time tv and accepts it he will be in work in no time.

Greg Scott was Sit Ups answer to Timmy Mallett wearing a suit, full of there own self importance and thinking someone will stop them in ASDA and ask for an autograph.:mysmilie_50:

It's quite interesting that i considered the man a cult hero of mine (due to quizmania) but after following him on twitter.... well lets say people say you should never meet your heroes.

If he isn't being a bitter man, he is begging for a job.

Which is fine.... it's just not the guy i knew at 4am on itv.

Same here, loved him on QM with Debbie King.

Greg Scott was Sit Ups answer to Timmy Mallett wearing a suit, full of there own self importance and thinking someone will stop them in ASDA and ask for an autograph.:mysmilie_50:
The laughable thing is people did used to stop him in shops and ask him for an autograph/or chat to him that was what he loved

The laughable thing is people did used to stop him in shops and ask him for an autograph/or chat to him that was what he loved

See I can't get my head round that, selling something on the telly, well your still basically a glorified Sales Assistant, no matter what suit you wear, or dolly burd by your side...I worked in Retail for 20years, and i think selling something on Tv would be easier, because your not dealing with the public. So anyhoo back to my point, Id like to know why people would want his autograph ?in Asda ? :mysmilie_859::witch:

Yes Greg is a lovely man and was a laugh to work with but unfortunately the people he is supposed to be on a par with I am afraid are beneath him and it's a shame because he is a very friendly man just thinks he is higher than he is and likes people to know this and loves it when people think he is special.

In my opinion Bid Shopping was beneath him now and his ego could not let him go back unless he can realise that he isn't destined for big time tv and accepts it he will be in work in no time.

he seemed to miss the boat when ''nostalgia was ''in''

I thought Greg was a top man when he was first on Bid, I loved him on Quizmania, then he seemed to change overnight (or did he hide it up until then?) to someone who was angry and bitter that none of his pilots were being commissioned on TV. I thought he meant he had no work so I asked him and he said he was on the radio but no tv, and he said it in such away as though radio wasn't good enough for him. Many people would give their right arm for the CV that he has had, so many would love to be on tv once let alone twice. Shame really.

I thought Greg was a top man when he was first on Bid, I loved him on Quizmania, then he seemed to change overnight (or did he hide it up until then?) to someone who was angry and bitter that none of his pilots were being commissioned on TV. I thought he meant he had no work so I asked him and he said he was on the radio but no tv, and he said it in such away as though radio wasn't good enough for him. Many people would give their right arm for the CV that he has had, so many would love to be on tv once let alone twice. Shame really.

You have hit the nail on the head PJ that is exactly how he used to think about himself such a shame it's why he isn't on tv.

I guess it must be like the worlds biggest bug being on TV so to have it taken it must be hard
Opportunities to appear as a presenter on TV are nowadays extremely limited anyway, with ITV more or less content to stick with Ant and Dec/Vernon Kay/Phillip Schofield/etc. and the other channels more or less having their own limited regular presenter pool or electing to make use of reality TV stars instead; it's no wonder that many other presenters have to resort to local radio or shopping channels. (Even the awesome Debbie Greenwood has been reduced to doing similar work.) At least Greg now appears to be learning from his mistakes so it will be luck and determination that will dictate what happens next.

Such a shame really!

But i don't know what work you realistically expect to get when you was the countdown audience warm up guy for 20years or however long it was.

But i don't know what work you realistically expect to get when you was the countdown audience warm up guy for 20years or however long it was.

When you can keep retelling the story of how "I appeared on It's Alright On The Right" you believe you are more than you are. He was with Countdown for 13 years I think until the death of Richard Whiteley in 2004.

See I can't get my head round that, selling something on the telly, well your still basically a glorified Sales Assistant, no matter what suit you wear, or dolly burd by your side...I worked in Retail for 20years, and i think selling something on Tv would be easier, because your not dealing with the public. So anyhoo back to my point, Id like to know why people would want his autograph ?in Asda ? :mysmilie_859::witch:

My brother is an autograph collector and hangs around the BBC radio building in central London. From what I gather some of them are a slightly odd bunch. I don't know whether they collect autographs of any selly telly salesmen in Asda! Some of them haven't a clue who the celebs are! Can I say on record that I have never asked a celeb (or even a ahopping telly presenter) for their autograph!

Latest posts

Back