As One door closes,,,grab your CV The Outlet Channel needs you.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

You have said "hoping we can create something that will be around for a long time", which is fine, but that isn't a statement of confidence. You sound unsure.

Haribo is talking a lot of sense, and I think you know it. Ross, sorry to say this so early on, but you are already coming across as someone who desperately wants to cling on to nostalgia for the sake of it. I left here last night with nothing but confidence in your venture, but then had a look at some of your recent messages. Are you for real? Who in their right mind risks losing reputation and credibility on the high street? Was buying air time on The Mall cheaper than advertising elsewhere? Is that what this is all about? First mistake, and believe me it is a huge one, was linking your new outlet to the former Sit-Up channels. Sure, the presenters lost their jobs, and yes it was a hard time for them, but do you honestly believe that anyone that sees ex sit-up presenters on your new channel will think of you as genuine? Sorry, and nothing against Lisa or anything, but you are asking for trouble by taking that route. The presenters on Bid and Price-Drop were, in some cases, part of the reason the channels lost trust, support and credibility. Some of the presenters were obviously nothing but fame hungry nobodies who were obviously very happy to mislead the public as part of their act. The Politicians of the TV world!

Second mistake, coming on here and admitting that you are clueless. Look folks, I have the airtime, but I basically want you to run this for me, and I will sit back and get rich from your ideas, time and labour. What should I buy? What should I sell? How should I go about doing this. Seriously? Have you actually carried out any research before jumping in and starting this? You haven't given yourself enough time to perfect this. You needed longer to prepare.

Third mistake, the it will be based on the Ideal World concept and if it is ever live, it will be falling auction format. Okay, so can I assume that I am going to get bored of seeing Halogen Ovens, an expensive hose pipe, tablet computers that are so slow even Royal Mail is faster, steam mops, pressure washers and other repetitive demos? And when it isn't like this, it will be the shock, wow, I never thought we would be going this low! The phone lines should be lighting up now, get in quick?

Fourth mistake, and I have a feeling this one is beginning to sink in, Sky! Can you see where you have gone wrong there? Sky customers are largely tech savvy. They probably have broadband as part of their package. They can easily go away and conduct some research into the product you are trying to sell. Is it unique? Is it available cheaper at the click of a button on Amazon or Ebay etc? If you were going for that customer base anyway, you might just as well save yourself a lot of trouble, and launch as a streaming service and use social media to help get the word out there and collect live feedback etc. In that way you can appear on connected and smart televisions too. When you have a strong following on the streaming platform, you should then start to consider moving onto existing broadcast platforms, not before.

I'm not being harsh for the fun of it, this forum isn't full of trolls, and I think most of us on here genuinely want this to be a success. So do yourself a huge favour, delay the launch and spend more time perfecting the detail and conducting in depth research. You have done the right thing coming on here, that is good, but currently you are trying to run before you can even walk. First impressions count, and so far we have seen a photo of a studio which might just as well be in a garage, a logo which frankly resembles something of a poor attempt at copying Store Twenty One, and talk of a format which is modeled on emulating Ideal World.

Now that is out of the way; let's start again. Okay? You need a closed preview section of the website. You need to put together a panel of potential viewers and customers, people who can help shape the future of your venture. Put a sample of potential products on the closed preview site, and ask the panel to rate their likelihood of purchasing that product, the price they are willing to pay etc. Research, research, research. Next comes trust. You need to gain trust and confidence, and then keep this trust and confidence. Good. Next is giving me a reason to want to tune into The Mall and watch your Outlet Channel broadcasts. At the moment I skip past it, never give it a moments notice. What are you going to do to change my viewing habits and attract my interest, keep my interest and then translate that into sales?

The founding members of of Sit-Up had the experience of running large TV platforms, they knew the shopping TV market too, and they knew how to stand out and be different by taking risks. But those were different times. Sky customers had their boxes hooked up to landlines, and ADSL broadband was still being rolled out, was running about 512 Kbps, and mobile data was slow and expensive. We are living in a connected society now, and the customer is not afraid to research products and look for better prices elsewhere. For your TV venture to survive, you need to change your approach a bit. Outlet Channel should become My Outlet Channel. Make the viewer/customer the core part of the business. Give them reason to tune in and buy. Give them reason to take pride in their channel, give them the confidence in it.

This is where it gets interesting. Your job now is to change my mind, and to prove me wrong. Make it so I come back here in a few weeks time praising you for your huge success, and thanking you for not being like the other channels, but for actually listening to the feedback given on this forum.

Good. All that is left for me to say now is I look forward to working with you and supporting your development, progress, achievements and success.

You have said "hoping we can create something that will be around for a long time", which is fine, but that isn't a statement of confidence. You sound unsure.

Haribo is talking a lot of sense, and I think you know it. Ross, sorry to say this so early on, but you are already coming across as someone who desperately wants to cling on to nostalgia for the sake of it. I left here last night with nothing but confidence in your venture, but then had a look at some of your recent messages. Are you for real? Who in their right mind risks losing reputation and credibility on the high street? Was buying air time on The Mall cheaper than advertising elsewhere? Is that what this is all about? First mistake, and believe me it is a huge one, was linking your new outlet to the former Sit-Up channels. Sure, the presenters lost their jobs, and yes it was a hard time for them, but do you honestly believe that anyone that sees ex sit-up presenters on your new channel will think of you as genuine? Sorry, and nothing against Lisa or anything, but you are asking for trouble by taking that route. The presenters on Bid and Price-Drop were, in some cases, part of the reason the channels lost trust, support and credibility. Some of the presenters were obviously nothing but fame hungry nobodies who were obviously very happy to mislead the public as part of their act. The Politicians of the TV world!

Second mistake, coming on here and admitting that you are clueless. Look folks, I have the airtime, but I basically want you to run this for me, and I will sit back and get rich from your ideas, time and labour. What should I buy? What should I sell? How should I go about doing this. Seriously? Have you actually carried out any research before jumping in and starting this? You haven't given yourself enough time to perfect this. You needed longer to prepare.

Third mistake, the it will be based on the Ideal World concept and if it is ever live, it will be falling auction format. Okay, so can I assume that I am going to get bored of seeing Halogen Ovens, an expensive hose pipe, tablet computers that are so slow even Royal Mail is faster, steam mops, pressure washers and other repetitive demos? And when it isn't like this, it will be the shock, wow, I never thought we would be going this low! The phone lines should be lighting up now, get in quick?

Fourth mistake, and I have a feeling this one is beginning to sink in, Sky! Can you see where you have gone wrong there? Sky customers are largely tech savvy. They probably have broadband as part of their package. They can easily go away and conduct some research into the product you are trying to sell. Is it unique? Is it available cheaper at the click of a button on Amazon or Ebay etc? If you were going for that customer base anyway, you might just as well save yourself a lot of trouble, and launch as a streaming service and use social media to help get the word out there and collect live feedback etc. In that way you can appear on connected and smart televisions too. When you have a strong following on the streaming platform, you should then start to consider moving onto existing broadcast platforms, not before.

I'm not being harsh for the fun of it, this forum isn't full of trolls, and I think most of us on here genuinely want this to be a success. So do yourself a huge favour, delay the launch and spend more time perfecting the detail and conducting in depth research. You have done the right thing coming on here, that is good, but currently you are trying to run before you can even walk. First impressions count, and so far we have seen a photo of a studio which might just as well be in a garage, a logo which frankly resembles something of a poor attempt at copying Store Twenty One, and talk of a format which is modeled on emulating Ideal World.

Now that is out of the way; let's start again. Okay? You need a closed preview section of the website. You need to put together a panel of potential viewers and customers, people who can help shape the future of your venture. Put a sample of potential products on the closed preview site, and ask the panel to rate their likelihood of purchasing that product, the price they are willing to pay etc. Research, research, research. Next comes trust. You need to gain trust and confidence, and then keep this trust and confidence. Good. Next is giving me a reason to want to tune into The Mall and watch your Outlet Channel broadcasts. At the moment I skip past it, never give it a moments notice. What are you going to do to change my viewing habits and attract my interest, keep my interest and then translate that into sales?

The founding members of of Sit-Up had the experience of running large TV platforms, they knew the shopping TV market too, and they knew how to stand out and be different by taking risks. But those were different times. Sky customers had their boxes hooked up to landlines, and ADSL broadband was still being rolled out, was running about 512 Kbps, and mobile data was slow and expensive. We are living in a connected society now, and the customer is not afraid to research products and look for better prices elsewhere. For your TV venture to survive, you need to change your approach a bit. Outlet Channel should become My Outlet Channel. Make the viewer/customer the core part of the business. Give them reason to tune in and buy. Give them reason to take pride in their channel, give them the confidence in it.

This is where it gets interesting. Your job now is to change my mind, and to prove me wrong. Make it so I come back here in a few weeks time praising you for your huge success, and thanking you for not being like the other channels, but for actually listening to the feedback given on this forum.

Good. All that is left for me to say now is I look forward to working with you and supporting your development, progress, achievements and success.

Thanks Shopatdrop for your views. I posted on shoppingtelly.com forums to be open and honest with our potential viewers. Perhaps I have been too honest. Trust me when I say alot of time and research has gone into this and I wouldn't risk huge financial investment on a whim. This channel will only work if people at home are liking what we do...thats why I've posted my personal email address and not hidden myself in a non custyomer facing role (like many M.D's do).

I approached Lisa Brash to come on board because I feel she was one of only a few presenters at SitUp that was the same on screen as she is if you meet her in the street. True down to earth presenter that doesnt mind voicing her opinion on behalf of the viewers. Just because she worked for Sit Up doesn't mean we are now going to be the next Bid Tv!

The SKY element is a starting point. Freeview and Virgin don't hand out EPG's so easily and we have to prove we warrant airtime on their platform.

I will leave your judgement to our launch - you may be pleasantly surprised!

Drop me an email to [email protected] and I will give you a sneek preview to our website etc!

Regards

Ross

Hi Ross

Don't be downheartened about being honest, you should be able to be and you should not be chastised for it.

We want honesty, if you are open and honest you will find people will come along and support you.

You have to remember that the Bid is still fresh in people's minds so you will be compared and it is upto you and your team to show people you are not Bid Shopping mark 2.

The only problem I have is you are all from the wrong side of the Pennines and can a true Yorkshireman like me help the enemy. :mysmilie_17:

Seriously get some serious promotion going, draw in a curious audience and you can succeed.

Best of luck and keep positive.:happy:

Thanks Ross. I am not going to criticise honesty, you did the right thing coming to this forum seeking the views and support. Your openness and willingness to work with and listen to the viewer and customer deserves praise. You have given a good answer to my long-winded comment, and I hope that we can perhaps maybe work with one another to look at whether my earlier comments and suggestions may be beneficial to your venture in any way. I will definitely be taking you up on your kind offer to communicate by email.

I see you are on facebook and twitter, and it would be great to get the early bird followers engaged and involved as much as possible in much the same way you have done with everyone on this forum. Need any help with that, just ask.

As for Lisa, well what can I say? Memorable, exciting, fun and entertaining. Good choice. When you said you were modeling your output on Ideal World, I perhaps incorrectly assumed you wanted to tone things down, make it serious and totally boring. Clearly not. Lisa has a strong following of loyal fans, and I have already noticed you have gained quite a lot of approval for recruiting her.

Looking forward to it Ross, I wish you every success and look forward to keeping in contact by email.

You have said "hoping we can create something that will be around for a long time", which is fine, but that isn't a statement of confidence. You sound unsure. Haribo is talking a lot of sense, and I think you know it. Ross, sorry to say this so early on, but you are already coming across as someone who desperately wants to cling on to nostalgia for the sake of it. I left here last night with nothing but confidence in your venture, but then had a look at some of your recent messages. Are you for real? Who in their right mind risks losing reputation and credibility on the high street? Was buying air time on The Mall cheaper than advertising elsewhere? Is that what this is all about? First mistake, and believe me it is a huge one, was linking your new outlet to the former Sit-Up channels. Sure, the presenters lost their jobs, and yes it was a hard time for them, but do you honestly believe that anyone that sees ex sit-up presenters on your new channel will think of you as genuine? Sorry, and nothing against Lisa or anything, but you are asking for trouble by taking that route. The presenters on Bid and Price-Drop were, in some cases, part of the reason the channels lost trust, support and credibility. Some of the presenters were obviously nothing but fame hungry nobodies who were obviously very happy to mislead the public as part of their act. The Politicians of the TV world! Second mistake, coming on here and admitting that you are clueless. Look folks, I have the airtime, but I basically want you to run this for me, and I will sit back and get rich from your ideas, time and labour. What should I buy? What should I sell? How should I go about doing this. Seriously? Have you actually carried out any research before jumping in and starting this? You haven't given yourself enough time to perfect this. You needed longer to prepare. Third mistake, the it will be based on the Ideal World concept and if it is ever live, it will be falling auction format. Okay, so can I assume that I am going to get bored of seeing Halogen Ovens, an expensive hose pipe, tablet computers that are so slow even Royal Mail is faster, steam mops, pressure washers and other repetitive demos? And when it isn't like this, it will be the shock, wow, I never thought we would be going this low! The phone lines should be lighting up now, get in quick? Fourth mistake, and I have a feeling this one is beginning to sink in, Sky! Can you see where you have gone wrong there? Sky customers are largely tech savvy. They probably have broadband as part of their package. They can easily go away and conduct some research into the product you are trying to sell. Is it unique? Is it available cheaper at the click of a button on Amazon or Ebay etc? If you were going for that customer base anyway, you might just as well save yourself a lot of trouble, and launch as a streaming service and use social media to help get the word out there and collect live feedback etc. In that way you can appear on connected and smart televisions too. When you have a strong following on the streaming platform, you should then start to consider moving onto existing broadcast platforms, not before. I'm not being harsh for the fun of it, this forum isn't full of trolls, and I think most of us on here genuinely want this to be a success. So do yourself a huge favour, delay the launch and spend more time perfecting the detail and conducting in depth research. You have done the right thing coming on here, that is good, but currently you are trying to run before you can even walk. First impressions count, and so far we have seen a photo of a studio which might just as well be in a garage, a logo which frankly resembles something of a poor attempt at copying Store Twenty One, and talk of a format which is modeled on emulating Ideal World. Now that is out of the way; let's start again. Okay? You need a closed preview section of the website. You need to put together a panel of potential viewers and customers, people who can help shape the future of your venture. Put a sample of potential products on the closed preview site, and ask the panel to rate their likelihood of purchasing that product, the price they are willing to pay etc. Research, research, research. Next comes trust. You need to gain trust and confidence, and then keep this trust and confidence. Good. Next is giving me a reason to want to tune into The Mall and watch your Outlet Channel broadcasts. At the moment I skip past it, never give it a moments notice. What are you going to do to change my viewing habits and attract my interest, keep my interest and then translate that into sales? The founding members of of Sit-Up had the experience of running large TV platforms, they knew the shopping TV market too, and they knew how to stand out and be different by taking risks. But those were different times. Sky customers had their boxes hooked up to landlines, and ADSL broadband was still being rolled out, was running about 512 Kbps, and mobile data was slow and expensive. We are living in a connected society now, and the customer is not afraid to research products and look for better prices elsewhere. For your TV venture to survive, you need to change your approach a bit. Outlet Channel should become My Outlet Channel. Make the viewer/customer the core part of the business. Give them reason to tune in and buy. Give them reason to take pride in their channel, give them the confidence in it. This is where it gets interesting. Your job now is to change my mind, and to prove me wrong. Make it so I come back here in a few weeks time praising you for your huge success, and thanking you for not being like the other channels, but for actually listening to the feedback given on this forum. Good. All that is left for me to say now is I look forward to working with you and supporting your development, progress, achievements and success.

Maybe next time use the positive sandwich method bud? ;-)

Nice to see someone representing a shopping channel communicating with people on here. Bid were notorious for their silence and deleting postings and people from heir facebook.

If i was stuck in a lift with Lisa Brash,my beautiful teeth would be ruined by chewing the hell out of it................sorry but i cannae see what all the fuss is about with her.:mysmilie_50:

If i was stuck:mysmilie_59:n a lift with Lisa Brash,my beautiful teeth would be ruined by chewing the hell out of it................sorry but i cannae see what all the fuss is about with her.:mysmilie_50:

I totally agree, I think they may need some one to put a positive spin on it! Now where is Max Clifford when you need him?:mysmilie_59:

I think they've snapped her up as she supposedly has a large fanbase :mysmilie_506:

I think she just wants on Geordie Shore and i know she has thousands of friends on Facebook so could I if i wanted to,but i dinnae feel the need to air my durty knickers to the world :).:mysmilie_43:

Lisa Brash looks really nice on the Outlet Facebook page. I hope she will just be herself and not do all that histrionic stuff that Sit-up used to make her do xx :sun:

Latest posts

Back