Launching Tonight On Sky Channel 682 - 8PM and www.theoutletchannel.tv

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Not keen on double headers , Watched a bit on Youtube , pretty much the same products as Bid not much tat yet though , thought we had seen the end of The Buddhas , at least there is no sign yet of the worry angels .

Good luck anyway hope it goes well

Lol I love the Buddhas and that proves my point...... It is a wide varied of products to try to cater to everyone (I have to say i also loved selling the worry angels but only because to me personally they meant something) but totally get it if it's not your thing..... As for double headers I actually love it simply because it's two opinions also when you are doing records rather than doing it live it's a very different thing because it's pre recorded you don't have that live interaction to bounce off for the fun factor however if you have another presenter to bounce off on a recorded show it can become a lot more engaging, time will tell chuck xxxxx

You are quite right in suggesting that is not an image of our call centre - we never said it was ours and we do know it's a library image, but we never did actually say that the people in this image depicted were our operators.

The DSLR pictured was for still images only. Despite this Canon 5D Mk III's do film in 1080p anyway so even if we had used them to film this would not be the reason that we had blurry footage. The blurry image is down to the compression used to make the video meet the broadcasters specific requirements. All our footage is filmed in 1080p HD video and I am sure if you were to see some of our raw footage you would certainly not take the opinion that it is of bad quality.

In regards to lying about our studio location - if we were to lie do you not think we would choose a more salubrious place than Kirkham, Lancashire? If you look at our website we do offer a full address of our location and we are more than happy for you to come and visit our studios and head office if you wish. Feel free to email your details through to [email protected] and we can arrange this.

Why did you tell me it would be in HD tomorrow?

And why not use a pic of your call centre rather than a library image.

You are quite right in suggesting that is not an image of our call centre - we never said it was ours and we do know it's a library image, but we never did actually say that the people in this image depicted were our operators.

Maybe tomorrow night you could take a picture of all 20 operators in your call centre, but to post a photo with the description - "Our UK based call centre right here in the heart of Lancashire are available on 0845 299 7474 to take your call this evening!" - would imply the photo was what you were actually talking about.

The DSLR pictured was for still images only. Despite this Canon 5D Mk III's do film in 1080p anyway so even if we had used them to film this would not be the reason that we had blurry footage. The blurry image is down to the compression used to make the video meet the broadcasters specific requirements. All our footage is filmed in 1080p HD video and I am sure if you were to see some of our raw footage you would certainly not take the opinion that it is of bad quality.

Then you'd be better recording your content in SD - unless you know of 'The Mall' going HD from tomorrow?

This also doesn't explain the rocky camera work on you close-up camera, also both cameras are not balanced correctly as their is a colour shift when switching between cameras.

In regards to lying about our studio location - if we were to lie do you not think we would choose a more salubrious place than Kirkham, Lancashire? If you look at our website we do offer a full address of our location and we are more than happy for you to come and visit our studios and head office if you wish. Feel free to email your details through to [email protected] and we can arrange this.

I never said you lied about the location of the studio.

:mysmilie_486:

Nice one. Well as long as you are listening Ross, that is great. A little bit of music in the background is good, but not an Audio Network track that sit-up used, having said that though, some of the backing music sit-up used for different circumstances like jewelery etc were quite a nice way to support an otherwise boring product demonstration. Need help choosing, just ask. Okay as you are listening Ross, the website looks great, and I think just like Shop at Bid tried to do, maybe the colour of the on-screen graphics could change according to the category of product being shown at the time. It will be interesting to see how things change and develop over time, but I fear at least one of your choices of presenter might be a huge stumbling block for any progress. Maybe I will be proved wrong on that matter. Any way, best of luck to you and the team.

I'm no expert but it definitely looked like it wasn't filmed on a TV camera.

Broadcast quality cameras are serious pieces of equipment costing many thousands of pounds. I would be interested to hear what cameras outletchannel is using.

Maybe tomorrow night you could take a picture of all 20 operators in your call centre, but to post a photo with the description - "Our UK based call centre right here in the heart of Lancashire are available on 0845 299 7474 to take your call this evening!" - would imply the photo was what you were actually talking about.

Do you know Ross, I agree with that statement. Put more emphasis on the fact it is a UK call centre, and if the viewer gets to see footage or a short pre-recorded profile of some of the staff, it makes it a bit more personal and if someone then picks up the phone and speaks to Jenny, the same Jenny they just saw a short profile clip of, there is instantly more trust and good feeling. Does that make sense? TV Shopping is all about building and maintaining consumer confidence, that bit is crucial.

Then you'd be better recording your content in SD - unless you know of 'The Mall' going HD from tomorrow?

This also doesn't explain the rocky camera work on you close-up camera, also both cameras are not balanced correctly as their is a colour shift when switching between cameras.

I never said you lied about the location of the studio.

:mysmilie_486:

Dear Insider,

As Im sure you will appreciate the logistics of launching a shopping channel are intense. Our 20 seat call centre also handles calls for other parts of our business. A) We didn't have time to take a picture as we had tech problems with the website B) A call centre photograph doesn't interest many people, but for those that is does, they can tour our call centre and studios and meet our team.

Our social media operator this evening did make an error saying tommorrows broadcast would be in HD as it wont be. We film in HD so we can keep a back catalogue of footage to cover the eventuality of The Mall going H.D and we could use the footage for out of broadcast replays. We oversample by filming in HD, so that when we compress there is a higher resolution to derive the output from, meaning that it often produces better quality. We also film in HD so we can upload to YouTube in HD which we will be doing shortly.

Granted some of the camera work isn't the best. We agreed the production company could involve a media student in our work and this had its disadvantages.

To address colour shift we shot in Cinestyle and LUT applied in post production may of colour corrected slightly differently from each camera due to the studio lighting. We aim to resolve this asap.

Once again if you like to arrange a studio tour and perhaps share your knowledge with our tech guys let us know.

Regards

Ross
The Outlet Channel

Nice one. Well as long as you are listening Ross, that is great. A little bit of music in the background is good, but not an Audio Network track that sit-up used, having said that though, some of the backing music sit-up used for different circumstances like jewelery etc were quite a nice way to support an otherwise boring product demonstration. Need help choosing, just ask. Okay as you are listening Ross, the website looks great, and I think just like Shop at Bid tried to do, maybe the colour of the on-screen graphics could change according to the category of product being shown at the time. It will be interesting to see how things change and develop over time, but I fear at least one of your choices of presenter might be a huge stumbling block for any progress. Maybe I will be proved wrong on that matter. Any way, best of luck to you and the team.

shopatdrop - can you suggest some tracks on Audio Network as we have trawled for hours and are struggling. Your ideas would be welcomed. Email me - [email protected]

Do you know Ross, I agree with that statement. Put more emphasis on the fact it is a UK call centre, and if the viewer gets to see footage or a short pre-recorded profile of some of the staff, it makes it a bit more personal and if someone then picks up the phone and speaks to Jenny, the same Jenny they just saw a short profile clip of, there is instantly more trust and good feeling. Does that make sense? TV Shopping is all about building and maintaining consumer confidence, that bit is crucial.

This is absolutely spot on. Especially in the wake of the bid/pricedrop debacle. There is an automatic, almost subconscious, feeling now that a channel is trying to rip you off. Outlet need to be squeaky clean and get it right from the start to combat that.

shopatdrop - can you suggest some tracks on Audio Network as we have trawled for hours and are struggling. Your ideas would be welcomed. Email me - [email protected]

It is a bit overwhelming at first, but then everything just falls into place and you start finding several good pieces all at once. Will happily do that, and if ever you end with credits or similar, don't forget to give me a mention as that would be great progress for my own personal development where employability is concerned.

Hi haribo

We have yes but nobody has managed to come up with anything quite right yet! :)

UK call centre goes for nothing, 98% of them employ people that can hardly speak English. I couldnae careless about seeing a picture of the call centre staff, if i worked there i certainly wouldnae want my beautiful face on the website only for the callcentre set up to get slated on here LOL. I couldn't see how much it was to phone ? Tiny print under the number ?. Lisa i will say i didnae find you over the top , you looked well groomed and as much having all that dirt on the carpet as a demo, well if someone had that in there house. it wouldnae be a cleaner they would be needing, they would be needing evicted.I'm disappointed in the products,hoovers, irons...fans,what about some interesting products that you see on the likes of Groupon ? You can see the studio isn't state of the art.it's not QVC were everybody is surrounded by plastic dust flowers, how much room does one need to sell a iron ? It's on a podium and your behind it. As for camera work, well lets get it right on Bid Tv or Price drop, at times, Marina Berry would be flashing her boobs to the camera, or they camera guys would be zooming in to body parts..What does it all matter. LOl. I have worked in retail for 20years, at the end of the day, people like a bargain, not to be ripped of.however if you truly want a bargain you will miss out the middle man of shopping telly and nose around google for hours. i can't see if im honest if i could watchn't Lisa and Peter together, it doesnae take 2 to sell, something,,anyhoo.what's worse Andy Hodgson pretending he likes gardening...excuse any typos, i have a snotty nose:mysmilie_50:

Ross, I think if you have a look back at some of my earlier comments (pre-launch) I still think you should launch a My Outlet Channel section of the website: my.outletchannel.tv - an area where the viewer is in control for things like reviews, can join focus groups, gets access to member exclusive offers, can join the studio tour, can add their own videos and tips, and where there can be a blog. Get the viewer involved and interacting with the brand, even though it isn't 'live' just yet. And then you could add a bit to it inviting members of the public to produce music for the broadcasts. Hope you like that idea, because if the viewer feels connected and that they play a huge part of the way the company progresses, they will take greater pride in how things develop, they will gain trust and they will feel part of the Outlet Channel family. Obviously things like that are huge and take time to put in place, but I can maybe help with that too.

As for camera work, well lets get it right on Bid Tv or Price drop, at times, Marina Berry would be flashing her boobs to the camera, or they camera guys would be zooming in to body parts..What does it all matter.

Damn! I think I missed that bit.

To be honest though, and continuing on from the rest of your post, some of the Bid TV cameras were past it! They were full of dead pixels.

I didn't even know cameras could get dead pixels! I though that only happened to LCD screens.

Whoever earlier said that they thought outlet would have been lucky to get one purchase during that broadcast, what makes you say that?

I have no idea what would be considered average sales volumes on shopping channels. I know that bid and pricedrop were selling about 70 items per hour per channel before their demise.

I didn't even know cameras could get dead pixels! I though that only happened to LCD screens.

Sadly it can happen on CMOS and CCD cameras, although I suppose in a way my description was non accurate as it would probably be a defective pixel on a camera rather than a dead one.

Latest posts

Back