Taking rocks for granted

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

mandik

Registered Shopper
Is it just me or has anyone else noticed the prices getting higher and higher....?

I was really starting to take rocks for granted as I only really buy the lower end of the ranges i.e.mostly silver, but now I'm hankering for the good old days....are they lost forever?????????

It's the nature of the beast,mandik,it was always going to happen.

As more people join....more bidders and more people hankering after the items on offer,it will naturally push the final prices up.That is a good thing in many respects though,Steve could not carry on selling the amounts of items he was at such a loss......if that was the case it wouldn't be a business.

In saying that,however,I have items that I paid more for than what they are closing at now but I also have items that I have paid less for,so it evens itself out in the end.Even the items I have paid more for I cannot say that I have not been happy with the price,everything I have is of fab quality and worth every penny I have paid,in many cases they are worth much more than what I have paid......especially the couple of diamond items I have,stud earrings and a sweet black diamond ring........Rocks.tv have enabled me to buy these items at an extremely affordable price,items I would probably not be in possession of had it not been for them being there.

There are many bargains to be had still though.......I have in my basket at the moment a peridot ring for £6 and gold iolite studs for £10........both massive bargains imo and I know they have sold for more in the past.

It's important not to get caught up in auction fever,stick to your limit,be discerning and you will still get plenty of opportunities to nab a fab piece for a billy bargain price.:1:

Thanks SW....I'm Mandi on rocks

I think the reason why I now plans my nights round rocks and not Gems is because of the different factors i.e. the chat of course, and the auction mania that I sometimes find myself in!!!!

So be it!!!if I have to share the experience with a few more folk then I'll just have to get clever and play the game with a wee bit more gusto!!

thanks to all those who make my evenings much more enjoyable!!! who knew they could live without corrie lol!!!

I mentioned this in another thread Mandi, when I saw the same ring go for £90, £52 & £174 on 3 consecutive days - the higher price when 2 newbies were bidding.

As Sweetpea says, I've seen things I've bought go for double and sometimes triple, sometimes a pound or two less. We're our own worst enemies because we think "OOO that was expensive" because it was more than we paid, but in reality it's still ridiculously cheap because we can't buy it anywhere else for that price.

Just wish I'd got on the marcasite bandwagon in the beginning, because I'm totally smitten now, and can't get out of the mindset that some of the pieces are 'expensive', when of course they're not.

I'm sure there are still bargains to be had, and to be fair, we can't expect the poor Bennetts to subsidise our bling addiction forever, they've got to make money some time, or we'll be responsible for their poor kids starving!!!!!!

I love the format, so much more interesting to be able to interact with each other and the auctioneer, and probably the most important thing (other than the great designs and prices) absolutely fantastic customer service, truly a no quibble service.

Sorry, I keep saying this, but Rocks has really changed my thoughts on jewellery, I've got so many lovely things that I just wouldn't have thought of wearing before, and I love them all.

:doggie:

you'all are all a lovely welcoming bunch......

makes me feel important when the auctioneer reads out my post, makes me feel like I'm a valued customer !!! my goodness...I'm so needy lol!!!!!

Thanks SW....I'm Mandi on rocks

I think the reason why I now plans my nights round rocks and not Gems is because of the different factors i.e. the chat of course, and the auction mania that I sometimes find myself in!!!!

So be it!!!if I have to share the experience with a few more folk then I'll just have to get clever and play the game with a wee bit more gusto!!

thanks to all those who make my evenings much more enjoyable!!! who knew they could live without corrie lol!!!
That's the spirit mandi!!!:59:

I gave up watching all the soaps a couple of years ago,it freed up so much time,though that time is now taken with Rocks!!:30:

To echo what Mad has said.....I am now in possession of items I never thought I would ever wear but took a chance because of the price and the no quibble mbg........but I ended up keeping 'em!!lol

The interaction is the key also,chatting and laughing with everyone in rocks chat is so much fun,I have made friends with so many people even though we have never met and Barry,Carol and Steve etc make the whole buying experience fun also....what more could you ask for bling,bargains,friends and fun............it's a great way to spend an evening:1:

Despite the problems in the beginning on Rockschat from a few malcontents, (who were alledgedly ex-ST members who had been banned) I have to say that people on this forum ARE really great Mandi. If you have a question (sensible, not a la Osy lol) a problem or want advice about anything, someone on here is always willing and able to help. I've been a member for about 18 months, and was nervous about posting at first, but I was made to feel so welcome, that logging on everyday to see who's bought what, and read the often hilarious posts, has become a daily ritual. It's great to chat with so many members on Rocks, an added dimension to forum life.

You'll have great fun here, never worry about joining in, we love to admire each others bling.

:doggie:

Mad, I echo your sentiments about having things now that I wouldnt have considered before. I'd got out of the habit of wearing silver, but love it now.

I am glad for the Rocks crew that prices are starting to elevate in places, but obviously sad that those hoped for items will probably become out of the reach of my purse. when prices are lower, it is hard to limit yourself to one item a month on that site - that's for sure!

Hi Mandi and welcome.

You know what I think? I think as a newish piece is aired it'll be dearer cos more people want it but as ranges have been aired several times they become cheaper cos a lot of folks already have it, thats when we need to swoop I think :D

of course as Rocks becomes more well known, I myself have told loads of people who have since joined, then things will get more expensive, we need to bide our time and watch for the 'older' things we like coming up. :D

It occured to me today *lightening flashes and all that, Darlene has a thought* :D that its possible that Steve Bennett is gonna be the end of Gems, a company he started. I'm sure it was not his intention at all, but its a fact that since Rocks started some of us have not ventured onto Gems at all, if lots more people get involved with Rocks, they are bound to be jewellery lovers who probably shop with Gems, so they will hear about Rocks and venture on and see its like how Gems USED to be, fun, cheap and with presenters with great personality who 'interact' with their audience, and they'll never go back to Gems.

I don't take any pleasure in saying that, its a shame, but Gems moved backwards sadly and became 'too professional/distanced from their viewers/customers'.

Last edited:
how Gems USED to be, fun, cheap and with presenters with great personality who 'interact' with their audience

Hear hearclapping

just add 'and great customer service' and I agree 100% - it was the totally disinterested CS on a problem with my final purchase that made me stop buying from Gems.

Hi Mandi! glad you've joined the forum. I agree with you about prices but also agree with the others that careful shopping means there's still bargains to be had (my problem is that I'm sometimes too impatient to be careful, if I see something I like, I want to bidbadger)

:1: hi and welcome from me to [i'm scorpio] enjoy the forum x my only problem with rocks is that ive brought alot of things as presents ...but ive kept them ..naughty me i know!!!

Hi Mandik and a warm welcome from me as well. I agree with Darls, waiting for pieces does seem to pay off. I bought loads at first, but am now biding my time for new pieces to come through.
As for Gems, I was really sad about their decline, but Rocks have more than filled the gap and I'm sure that new people must still find them and buy from them every day. They certainly have more competition now with Rocks&Co as well. Funny to see this weekend that both Gems and TJC are running sales, I wonder why?!

Although some prices have gone up - a ring I paid £16 for, went the other night for £61! Some things have come down generally - I paid £16 for the abalone/peridot pendant and it's since gone for less than that several times - tonight it was £11...And in the speed hour, rings were going for £4...

On Gems tv today, an onyx/marcasite ring which would normally be £19 on there, was a fiver...TJC have started doing big semi-precious gemstones too...so they're all aware of the competition from Rocks. I'd be interested to know exactly (well, roughly) how many people are signed up on Rocks' site now, and how many log in regularly.

hiya,

I think the changes in quantities has had a big impact on the prices it all seems to be 1 or 2 items in each auction now sometimes 3 but it's rarely 4 and i've not seen one with 5 in for ages!

Wibblypig xx

I have to keep on checking places like qvc & high street shops to give myself a reality check - especially as I sometimes feel like I'm paying a lot (especially when going for a set) but this is paying a lot compared to giveaway prices & I still feel like I'm getting thing a lot cheaper than on the high street (well if I found em on the high street lol)

I do think the large quantities won't be back for a while tho.....

I bought NINE necklaces over the weekend. The most I paid was £18, and the cheapest was £11. They are all gorgeous and keepers. One was not for me, but for a colleague who liked mine and asked if she could buy it off me. I lent it to her at the weekend for a special do, but I didn't really want to sell it. As luck would have it, the same necklace was auctioned on Saturday and I managed to get it for her for £14 (a lot less than I paid myself). I still seem to be finding plenty of bargains!

Latest posts

Back