Mega clearance sale

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Inspiration

Registered Shopper
Well I have heard it all now.

Rocks are running an advert that says customers are now restricted to only 5 purchases per day during the closing down sale. I think this is grossly unfair on customers who now have to decide what they are buying before they know what is coming. This will cause even more delays at the call centre and even more frustration.

What organisation, that is trying to clear its stocks, then puts restrictions on its customers. If I was in charge I wouldn't care how many were being bought as long as they were going out the door. They are only selling one at a time, or are they?

Unbelievable.

Well I have heard it all now.

Rocks are running an advert that says customers are now restricted to only 5 purchases per day during the closing down sale. I think this is grossly unfair on customers who now have to decide what they are buying before they know what is coming. This will cause even more delays at the call centre and even more frustration.

What organisation, that is trying to clear its stocks, then puts restrictions on its customers. If I was in charge I wouldn't care how many were being bought as long as they were going out the door. They are only selling one at a time, or are they?

Unbelievable.

I agree with you in principle Inspiration, but for a company there is nothing more frustrating than someone who puts 20 'last item pieces' in a basket then calls up and cancels 19 of them. The items then have to be replayed at a significant cost.

I think what Rocks and Co are trying to do is make people think more about the purchase. They have themselves to blame though for bringing in this shotgun style of selling - it just doesn't work.

I agree, Oracle, but no-one can buy on the web as it is locked at the moment and there is only one of everything available on the show.

To buy anything you have to wait on the phone lines, because they do not have enough in the call centre to take the extra number of calls. However this must have been expected as it was their purpose to get rid of a lot of stock/returns.

Don't know if it is just me but I feel this company are going downhill. Only the lovely brilliant John Scott makes me tune in now. Feel he is wasted on this channel now, IMHO. To be fair some of their pieces are really nice, but reading the comments does not make me feel like risking buying from them. Also, I have Freeview, their decision to not broadcast in the mornings now is really annoying. Oh for the good old days, but I don't think they will ever return.

Last edited:
I sadly agree with you reanebeanie. How can any company sell goods for such a long period as these clearances have been on and, as we are constantly told at below cost, and then have enough money to pay their way. Is this the reason why they are slow in paying back the returns?

I sadly agree with you reanebeanie. How can any company sell goods for such a long period as these clearances have been on and, as we are constantly told at below cost, and then have enough money to pay their way. Is this the reason why they are slow in paying back the returns?

Think you could well be right there Inspiration, the maths just don't add up do they.

I found this forum because I am worried about Rocks and Co.

I am surprised that the sale has gone on as long as it has. They seem to be selling off their assets, all the big show pieces. The change in the returns policy is also suspect, holding on to customer's money. I wonder if at the end of the sale we wont actually see these new collections they keep promising but the channel closing down.

Having worked in a company that has gone into administration I know that the senior management won't tell anyone the real position of the company until the very end. This means even customer service people, who are telling people off on the facebook page for saying the company might be in trouble, could be themselves in the dark as to what is really going on.

I would be careful about buying from them at the moment unless you are certain you won't want to return your purchases.

Welcome to the forum Jet199, and thank you for joining the discussion.

It's odd that they are letting all their high-end or rare gems go so cheaply at below cost price as they claim - zultanite (not sure about the hype on this tho'), emeralds, AAA tanzanite etc. These could have surely been scheduled and sold through regular programming. I hope they're not really in trouble but the way they are handling refunds and payments suggests they may have a cash flow problem.

Has anyone given this deeper consideration? What I mean is, if there is only ever 1 item on offer, then it must literally be the item we are seeing on screen - it is going to be ex-demo, or a sample piece. Also how is this working, they are saying the lines are full, but the items are seemingly disappearing fast?

Also the presenters seem to be questioning whether items have actually sold, and I heard them say something similar to this earlier today... if you are on the line, stay on the line as just because the graphics have gone from the screen, doesn't mean the item has been sold, unless we actually say it has gone.

Has anyone given this deeper consideration? What I mean is, if there is only ever 1 item on offer, then it must literally be the item we are seeing on screen - it is going to be ex-demo, or a sample piece. Also how is this working, they are saying the lines are full, but the items are seemingly disappearing fast?

Also the presenters seem to be questioning whether items have actually sold, and I heard them say something similar to this earlier today... if you are on the line, stay on the line as just because the graphics have gone from the screen, doesn't mean the item has been sold, unless we actually say it has gone.

I think that they are also selling items that have been returned. The items are in all different sizes and are obviously creation pieces that have been returned.

Also could be stock from the sister channels in Europe called Juwelo. Juwelo is in Germany and Italy but also has websites in France, Spain and the Netherlands.

Obviously risking a verbal lynching here but as John has said himself, he is expected to put on a show every shift, to entertain the punters, not just sit there being bland, I doubt he set out with the sole intention to offend anyone, just saying..

I a\m getting bored with this sale now, and the longer it goes on the harder it is to tell whether the items are real bargains or not. For example, some of the pendants are tiny and probably just worth what they are being sold for. All the regular old presenters seem to have disappeared and as for the gem hunters - well they are very conspicuous by their absence. I also wonder why they have finally stopped showing the Brazilian adventures video - I know they have been showing it for years but it never stopped them before and they have nothing to replace it with. Maybe it is a copyright issue involving people in the film who have now left the company. Of course they are closing down or regrouping - no one runs "clearance" for endless weeks on end.

It is interesting that the Mega mega is not described by Rocks as a "sale" probably because if it was then they could not sell things at a higher price. The regulations are very strict when anyone calls it a sale item. I have noted that the price are now higher than they were before.

But what about the 'Inspiration for Creation' competition? They've extended the deadline - I'm guessing because they didn't have enough entries - and it's hard to understand why they would do this if they were about to close down the channel, with no opportunity to bring the winning design to air (which they are now saying will be in January). I'd be very disappointed if they didn't go through with this, as I have entered!

I like John Scott and can't watch any of the other presenters for any length of time . He is funny and gossipy . He has also now started presenting on the shoe channel occasionally along with Derek Marks .Pavers must be on the up.

Rocks are saying they are clearing their warehouses for new stock and designs next year.No hint of close down yet.

It is interesting that the Mega mega is not described by Rocks as a "sale" probably because if it was then they could not sell things at a higher price. The regulations are very strict when anyone calls it a sale item. I have noted that the price are now higher than they were before.

^^^^
This.

The prices are definitely higher than they were at the start of the Mega clearance. In fact, they appear to be back at the same level they were pre-clearance. I've also noticed that the presenters have stopped mentioning the previous R&C price. The website prices are also higher than they have been since the clearance started... maybe they thought we wouldn't notice...?

Latest posts

Back