Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Maybe looks more impressive to new watchers?

I know it's sure not impressive to us :mysmilie_17:

Good point

It would if they employed guests who actually added something. Lloyd is a tad annoying at times but you cant deny he understands the products he sells and always brings massive enthusiasm .

Peter on the other hand just stares at the camera regardless

Just because they're not physically in your home does not mean the sales tactics can't be considered pushy, pressurized, intimidating and sometimes downright false in terms of claims. Not all of the aforementioned in every pitch no, but there's usually at least one of them deployed per pitch and usually more. Just because the viewer can change channels does not fully equate to them not being a captive audience. All viewers? No. But some, yes. Some people are predisposed to be drawn in and to believe the hype & tripe salespeople often dole out.

Of course a salesperson is there to sell, of course they're going to big up the product they're selling. I think what gets people annoyed is the extent to which IW presenters deploy the aforementioned tactics to get the sale.

As I touched on before, they often compare their cheaper products to more expensive products simply because they share features, thus trying to convince you the cheap thing is as good as an expensive thing, usually not the case in real life as we all know. They put pressure on veiled with a smile and cheery voice to tell you the show is EXTREMELY busy when it's only been on air for 4.2 secs. They tell you you better order first and watch the show at your leisure after. They push push PUSH the fact you can get it home for £x, x being the first of x flexi payments. They have gongs going off when things get to limited numbers or if there's 10 mins left of a special price hour. They have regular pricing that in no way reflects the true value of their products, thus making their 'sale' prices look amazing i.e. you're getting this sofa for 1/2 price. You're not btw, it's true value is the sale price probably less given much of the stuff they sell is tat.

Need I go on? As I say, yes many sales establishments do this, however it's the extent to which IW do it that's often not cricket. And yes, even though they in reality have the ability to switch off, for some viewers they are held captive and they do buy into the drivel. That's telly sales and those viewers are GOLD to these channels.

Last edited:
Something I unequivocally take issue with in regards to Ideal World (and probably others but IW definitely do this) is when they put up their price comparisons.

Invariably someone on here will post something like "it's actually £30 cheaper on such an such site"

Now my issue isn't that they should post the cheaper price as that would be logically stupid of them as a business.

My issue is that if you are not factually the cheapest on the market, then don't post the comparison... don't pick and choose and pretend you are the cheapest.

Caught a bit of one of the drone shows yesterday with that rather strange brummie bloke doing his best Richard Mire impression. Caught one thing though....the usually drivel about the drone having stability control was wheeled out, and to prove it, he set it to hover, and it did the usual thing of starting to drift away, and from the camera angle you could clearly see him tweaking the controls to try and keep the drone in one spot.

And teethy crawley just isn't cut out to be a sole presenter is he? His fake excitement at the drone doing an auto take off was cringeworthy. Mate, your acting isn't good enough to convince us when you do your little jump of excitement. I suspect he would rather be home with a cup of tea curled up on a memory foam mattress, than have anything to do with drones.

Sincere stuff from Hayley this morning

Roofix (which seems a well regarded product tbf)

Hayley says she feels sorry for those affected by the weather yesterday, she hopes they are watching this woman so they can fix the problems

I am not sure how Roofix will fix a flooded house but Hayley thinks it will, as I type once again we get the non sourced scare story

"THEY are saying this winter will be very very bad"

Not seen an IW gardening show for yonks, just how annoying is the bucket mouthed guest Angela. Constantly butting in and taking over the show talking ten to the dozen!

It looks like Nanty's wearing one of the watches he'll be flogging tomorrow. Certainly isn't the one he bought himself for his 50th birthday. :mysmilie_17:

Sincere stuff from Hayley this morning

Roofix (which seems a well regarded product tbf)

Hayley says she feels sorry for those affected by the weather yesterday, she hopes they are watching this woman so they can fix the problems

I am not sure how Roofix will fix a flooded house but Hayley thinks it will, as I type once again we get the non sourced scare story

"THEY are saying this winter will be very very bad"

Of course it's going to be a terrible winter, they now have stock of those ceramic radiators which give out free heat. The weather is always dependant on what they have in stock at any given time.

Not seen an IW gardening show for yonks, just how annoying is the bucket mouthed guest Angela. Constantly butting in and taking over the show talking ten to the dozen!

She has a job for life on there, so long as Andy Hodgson is the head of tv on IW.

They go back to the bid days when he was a presenter and she would actively encourage his harmless double entendres (which I have no problem with as he comes off as quite a nice bloke) but it explains why she won't be going away anytime soon.

The only thing that dates IW as remotely seasonal is if they sell radiators or garden hoses, in-between the same old ****, pardon my language.

I remember this summer when they were selling heaters, think it was the Fischer ones, I'd got my fan on!!

Blue Magic POD tonight, that should sort a few Christmas pressies out :dull:

I'm looking forward to giving my christmas presents of Roofix, Blue Magic and a Teeter inversion table to my friends and family..... Just to see their faces light up!!!!!.

Reminds me of when Howard said that the compost would 'make a wonderful anniversary present '.

Has anybody here tried those radiator fans? I wouldn't pay how the price they are asking, because it's basically PC fans in a plastic housing. But the ceilings here are really high, and in theory those fans could actually be useful.

Some top work already this morning

Joanne within two minutes says she is sorry some people had rain (it was a bit worse than that actually Jo but don't worry) then tells us she has had a girlie weekend in Barcelona, she cant resist to continue the story "I am not going to lie I have been there 14 or so times"

Real working Mum come good is our Jo, she just cant resist the brag.

Still not a patch on the time when one of the hurricanes hit America last year and she compared the vortex of a crappy blender she was trying to flog to a hurricane. Chef Joes face was a picture, about ten minutes she apologised after I presume some complaints came in.

Some top work already this morning

Joanne within two minutes says she is sorry some people had rain (it was a bit worse than that actually Jo but don't worry) then tells us she has had a girlie weekend in Barcelona, she cant resist to continue the story "I am not going to lie I have been there 14 or so times"

Real working Mum come good is our Jo, she just cant resist the brag.

Still not a patch on the time when one of the hurricanes hit America last year and she compared the vortex of a crappy blender she was trying to flog to a hurricane. Chef Joes face was a picture, about ten minutes she apologised after I presume some complaints came in.

I do love it when mum of the people, goes to Barcelona 14 times. She's just like you and me, she is.

She pushed the sleeves of her top she was selling up and was displaying how they stayed put and didn't fall down even with flapping her arms. She dragged Adam onto set to get him to push his sleeves up, flap his arms and then see his fall back down again. Instead, one fell down and one stayed up :mysmilie_19:

Yes, Adam, Floor manager and sometime Drone 'expert'

Shame I missed that Momma

I have watched 15 minutes today a bit I mentioned earlier

Just got back in flicked it on and yep you guessed Joanne is banging on about Barcelona yet again, now going on about economy again (this is a cheaper way of cooking moaning about her bills again)

Chef Joe seems to be getting a lot more shows again very short lived on Create and Craft it seems.

Latest posts

Back