Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

What a flippin' clown he is.

That's an insult to clowns, at least they can be funny, this guy is just an annoying lying imbecile.

Did you see him selling the Almaz chrono, spent about 5 minutes explaining all about the Bronze case, grade of bronze and quality, and how it will Patina over time etc etc. I'm shouting at my TV that it's not bronze it's Rose Gold Plated, i have the Bronze Almaz and it's an Automatic watch not the chrono he was trying to flog. Eventually he meekly said a quick sorry after he received an email from Kevin Reynolds pointing out his error, it was one of those swiftly move on moments.

Another clown is that Shawn guy, the crap he is spouting about the quality of the watches on the shows tonight is mind boggling, Swiss Legend is one of the biggest and best Swiss brands :mysmilie_19:, and the way he handles the watches is shocking, he had two, three and sometimes four watches over the back of his hand at the same time, with the crowns from the watches all rubbing the watch case next to it, very unprofessional. I've also come to the conclusion that the guest guy Thomas Tope is as devious as the presenters, some of his comments are way over the top as well, was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt before, but not now that he revealed his close connections with these brands and their owners. One thing I've always noticed with Earnshaw watches, for all the quality of the movements or so say the presenters, they never mention the movements come from China, the only time they mention movement origins is when they have the odd Swiss Made special they do.

Hopefully ASA act on my complaint, they emailed me on Friday to check first if i was a competitor or in the industry, replied I just a viewer they came back explaining what would happen next, ie they would be requesting the relevant programmes from Ideal World (told them I've have the programmes as video files on my PC if Ideal world aren't forth coming) so they can check my complaint, if the find they are in breach of the codes as my complaint suggests, then they will refer it to an ASA Investigations team for further consideration.

Justseen Rob Locke for the first time on IW, not sure how long he has been there? Doesn't take long for talking bollocks once you are settled in at IW it seems.

He was presenting a Salter Air Fryer and came out with this gem..."have you ever been on holiday in a country where it is hot and windy and you tan really quickly? That's the wind whipping that heat around you. It is literally cooking you, and this is what this cooker is essentially doing" :mysmilie_10:

Mr Locke, you tan because of the suns UV rays, you don't tan because of heat you twunt.

Justseen Rob Locke for the first time on IW, not sure how long he has been there? Doesn't take long for talking bollocks once you are settled in at IW it seems.

He was presenting a Salter Air Fryer and came out with this gem..."have you ever been on holiday in a country where it is hot and windy and you tan really quickly? That's the wind whipping that heat around you. It is literally cooking you, and this is what this cooker is essentially doing" :mysmilie_10:

Mr Locke, you tan because of the suns UV rays, you don't tan because of heat you twunt.

Love it, the crap out of there mouths never ends! Didn't he say he'd bought one of those Air Fryers? He always already has the product he's selling.

That's an insult to clowns, at least they can be funny, this guy is just an annoying lying imbecile.

Did you see him selling the Almaz chrono, spent about 5 minutes explaining all about the Bronze case, grade of bronze and quality, and how it will Patina over time etc etc. I'm shouting at my TV that it's not bronze it's Rose Gold Plated, i have the Bronze Almaz and it's an Automatic watch not the chrono he was trying to flog. Eventually he meekly said a quick sorry after he received an email from Kevin Reynolds pointing out his error, it was one of those swiftly move on moments.

Another clown is that Shawn guy, the crap he is spouting about the quality of the watches on the shows tonight is mind boggling, Swiss Legend is one of the biggest and best Swiss brands :mysmilie_19:, and the way he handles the watches is shocking, he had two, three and sometimes four watches over the back of his hand at the same time, with the crowns from the watches all rubbing the watch case next to it, very unprofessional. I've also come to the conclusion that the guest guy Thomas Tope is as devious as the presenters, some of his comments are way over the top as well, was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt before, but not now that he revealed his close connections with these brands and their owners. One thing I've always noticed with Earnshaw watches, for all the quality of the movements or so say the presenters, they never mention the movements come from China, the only time they mention movement origins is when they have the odd Swiss Made special they do.

Hopefully ASA act on my complaint, they emailed me on Friday to check first if i was a competitor or in the industry, replied I just a viewer they came back explaining what would happen next, ie they would be requesting the relevant programmes from Ideal World (told them I've have the programmes as video files on my PC if Ideal world aren't forth coming) so they can check my complaint, if the find they are in breach of the codes as my complaint suggests, then they will refer it to an ASA Investigations team for further consideration.

I actually bought a Swiss Legend watch off them a couple of weeks back, which I returned due to it's humungus size and faulty crown.

They always say that these watches have a sapphire crystal. Well in fact it says on case back that it's something called 'sapphlex', whatever that is? So more mis-truths.

I actually bought a Swiss Legend watch off them a couple of weeks back, which I returned due to it's humungus size and faulty crown.

They always say that these watches have a sapphire crystal. Well in fact it says on case back that it's something called 'sapphlex', whatever that is? So more mis-truths.

That's one of the main gripes I have with their watch shows, lack of detailed information. I know Kevin Reynolds is often criticised, but one thing i do like about when he is on the show, is that he at least gives you more technical details about the watches than the others do, he always lets you know about the really important details you need to know before buying, ie case size, materials used in construction and the movement in the watch, the rest just waffle on about irrelevant nonsense that is of no use when trying to make an informed decision as to whether you are purchasing a decent watch or not or whether the watch is right for your wrist size etc.

"Sapphlex" was developed by Seiko, although don't think they use it anymore, it's Mineral glass with a Sapphire coating bonded on to it.

For information, I did notice a picture on Swiss legends web site about assembly of their watches, the picture they have is taken in the Roamer / Swiss Military building in Möhlin, Switzerland, so I assume they have a contract with Swiss Military to assemble their watches, Swiss Military is part of the ILG group which which has quite a few licensed watch brands in their portfolio, ie Timberland, Police, Ben Sherman and Cerruti 1881 watches, why Martin Cunningham (he works for ILG, UK & Ireland) is the guy for all those brands on Ideal World.

Hayley was on at 1pm with Thomas Tope whom she introduced as the guy who would tell you all about the watches coming up. TT said he would try and if he didn't know, he would make it up..............Hayley laughed and said 'we're on the telly, you can't do that'......:mysmilie_17:

Hayley was on at 1pm with Thomas Tope whom she introduced as the guy who would tell you all about the watches coming up. TT said he would try and if he didn't know, he would make it up..............Hayley laughed and said 'we're on the telly, you can't do that'......:mysmilie_17:

That was a classic, couldn't stop laughing at her. :mysmilie_19:

He's obviously learning how to fit right in.

I had to send another email to Ideal, just can't take anymore of the rubbish, just asked them where in Switzerland these two (Swiss Eagle & Swiss Legend) quality Swiss Brands are based?

ps

Solar Time Ltd - Hong Kong

https://www.hktdc.com/manufacturers-suppliers/Solar-Time-Ltd/en/1X00J0S8/

Gee looks like Swiss Legend watch.

https://www.hktdc.com/suppliers-products/Gents-Pair-Diamond-Watch/en/1X00J0S8/1100082/

oh and this looks like Swiss Eagle

https://www.hktdc.com/suppliers-products/Quartz-Analog-Watch/en/1X00J0S8/2242211/

I had to send another email to Ideal, just can't take anymore of the rubbish, just asked them where in Switzerland these two (Swiss Eagle & Swiss Legend) quality Swiss Brands are based?

ps

Solar Time Ltd - Hong Kong

https://www.hktdc.com/manufacturers-suppliers/Solar-Time-Ltd/en/1X00J0S8/

Gee looks like Swiss Legend watch.

https://www.hktdc.com/suppliers-products/Gents-Pair-Diamond-Watch/en/1X00J0S8/1100082/

oh and this looks like Swiss Eagle

https://www.hktdc.com/suppliers-products/Quartz-Analog-Watch/en/1X00J0S8/2242211/

Also Shaun was banging on about the prices on the Swiss Eagle website and how you would pay £1250 or £1350 if you bought direct.
Except it's not true !
The Swiss Eagle website is a shell. There is no mechanism for buying , the 'prices' are displayed purely as a device to enable Ideal World and possibly other resellers to make purely bogus comparisons to deceive the gullible into believing they are buying premium Swiss watches at bargain prices.

Also Shaun was banging on about the prices on the Swiss Eagle website and how you would pay £1250 or £1350 if you bought direct.
Except it's not true !
The Swiss Eagle website is a shell. There is no mechanism for buying , the 'prices' are displayed purely as a device to enable Ideal World and possibly other resellers to make purely bogus comparisons to deceive the gullible into believing they are buying premium Swiss watches at bargain prices.

Totally agree, most of these mushroom brands, claiming to be something they are not, tend to have inflated (ridiculously so) MSRPs, and as you say, when retailers end up giving huge discounts most folks think they are getting a bargain. but it's they way they (Shaun and the other guy) were using the price on the web site to claim this made the watches high quality, equal to other top Swiss Brands left me lost for words, these watches aren't in the same league as entry level Swiss luxury brands let alone the Top Swiss Brands out there.:mysmilie_19:

Of course Ideal world presenters think swan & Edgar watches at £400 are a bargain, especially with all the workmanship and design they put into their watches, wonder how much workmanship and design is needed to stick your name on a watch that already exists (£21 on Ali express) and claim it's your own. :mysmilie_19:

Feeling a bit hurt now, cause they keep saying, any questions email us here at ideal world with you questions, well looks like they've ignored another of my emails again, that's the fourth now. I would have thought they would want to answer a query, from a potential customer, regarding the watches they are selling, or maybe not.:mysmilie_11:

Except it's not true !

I saw some of that show tonight too. Shaun telling us that you can get a £1,300 watch for £270! How can anyone refuse a deal like that? Because it's a total lie of course!

IW really have no shame. They must think all of their viewers are completely stupid. I suspected that these watches were Chinese all along, but how on earth do they get away with it?

They really are a disgrace in the way they operate.

I saw some of that show tonight too. Shaun telling us that you can get a £1,300 watch for £270! How can anyone refuse a deal like that? Because it's a total lie of course!

IW really have no shame. They must think all of their viewers are completely stupid. I suspected that these watches were Chinese all along, but how on earth do they get away with it?

They really are a disgrace in the way they operate.

100% agree with that, tbh I personally think they either need a complete overhaul of staff and owners or be closed down, because it's beyond simple mistakes, seems to be a deliberate company policy to mislead and misinform potential customers about the products they are selling. I've just commented on watches so far, but having watched a lot of their shows, the same standards stretches to many other products, from Beldray to RCA and many others in between. The presenters/salespeople are the most unlikable, devious, lying cretins I have ever seen on TV shopping channel or in a store, an utterly pathetic bunch.

The watches these two brands sell, probably start off in China (Hong Kong), to save costs, but will be finished in Switzerland to be able to claim Swiss Made. With the cost of the Chinese product being so cheap, that when it worked on in Switzerland with higher labour and parts costs, it doesn't take a lot for it to pass the 60% threshold to qualify as Swiss Made, but they certainly won't be 100% Swiss made nor are they Swiss Brands as the presenters kept claiming.

It's really hard to find concrete information on these brands, all deliberate of course, but Swiss Legend were from Florida, used to be owned by Swiss watch International and their subsidiary World of Watches, but they filed bankruptcy in 2017 , so not sure who owns them now, the only info on their site is a phone number, which is the Florida phone number SWI used. Also as I said before, one of the pictures on their site under Swiss assembly is a picture of the Roamer / Swiss Military building, so would assume that's where they are/were finished off, after they were shipped from China, to claim Swiss made.

https://www.bizjournals.com/southfl...southflorida+(South+Florida+Business+Journal)

Swiss Eagle was started by the same guy that started Swiss Military Hanowa, Hans Noll, and they were originally Swiss. Hans Noll had the trademarks for Swiss eagle in the States till 2004, so would assume Swiss Military either sold that brand off or discontinued it, if they were still part of Swiss Military, Martin Cunningham would be flogging them. But the present Swiss Eagle again has little info on their site as to who actually owns or where they are based.

But the good news is anyone can start up a Swiss Eagle watch company, as it's a brand you can license the name for, just contact HW-Brands, number 56 on the list

http://www.hw-brands.com/Fashion-brand-licensing-site/brands-list-A-Z.html

The fact that these two brands have actually no details on their web sites, nor can you find anything concrete on the web, as to location, owners etc, tells me that no way in hell are these brands 100% top quality Swiss brands as Shaun kept claiming.

Oh and Ideal world still haven't replied to my email yet. :mysmilie_10:

Just don't understand why anyone would want to buy one of these shonky watches with their "so called" Heritage brand names, hideous styling and silly prices (even though they're supposed to represent a huge saving). For heaven's sake if you like names, or you want to buy a present for someone who likes names, surely you'd be better off getting one from Hugo Boss or Armani. Yep, they're probably the same quality base watch with the designer's label added, but from what I've seen they offer a huge range of styles, some flashy and blingy, some smart and classic and some utilitarian...and mostly a fair bit cheaper than these monstrosities! What's more you'll be wearing a logo that's instantly recognisable - You don't have to explain anything! If you really want a geniune swiss made watch, if you can afford one good luck to you, if not...save up for one. Seriously, please don't waste good money on these dodgy watches, you're being taken for a ride!

Hello everyone, first post from a new member.

I've been tuning in to the watch shows to sit open mouthed (not in a good way) at the merchandise on offer.

Hello everyone, first post from a new member.

I've been tuning in to the watch shows to sit open mouthed (not in a good way) at the merchandise on offer.

Hi

welcome, I'm newish here myself.

Yeah their shows are something special, this latest one is a hoot, comparing a cerruti with a 10,000-15,000 luxury watch, they're outdoing themselves tonight. :mysmilie_19:

Had to send Ideal another email, applauding the quality of their watch shows, haven't seen anyone else come close, told them to keep up the good work. :mysmilie_19:

I also asked about their exclusivity in the UK, seeing as I can get one of their exclusive watches £30 cheaper and delivered faster from Amazon.

https://www.idealworld.tv/gb/pp/cerruti-1881-gent-s-laponte-watch-with-genuine-leather-strap-490522

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07C2TXWTQ/?tag=shoppingcom03-21

I also don't know why they they make odd comments in Italian, strictly speaking it should probably be Mandarin, Cerruti 1881 is owned by the Chinese these days.

Thanks for the welcomes.

Can anyone remember going on the markets and seeing 'designer' clothes labelled something like 'Sergio Georgini'. Well, to me at least, these watches are a latter day equivalent.

Just as an aside, a few years ago I bought a classic Omega from a watch dealer friend of mine. It's 70's vintage and a lovely, wearable/reliable wristwatch. It only cost in the low hundreds. My point being you don't have to invest thousands in a watch in order to get a real luxury brand.

Had anyone ever heard of the brands IW are selling before they started appearing on air? I'm no watch expert but expect there may be one or two people who know their stuff here and could provide an answer.

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcomes.

Can anyone remember going on the markets and seeing 'designer' clothes labelled something like 'Sergio Georgini'. Well, to me at least, these watches are a latter day equivalent.

Just as an aside, a few years ago I bought a classic Omega from a watch dealer friend of mine. It's 70's vintage and a lovely, wearable/reliable wristwatch. It only cost in the low hundreds. My point being you don't have to invest thousands in a watch in order to get a real luxury brand.

Had anyone ever heard of the brands IW are selling before they started appearing on air? I'm no watch expert but expect there may be one or two people who know their stuff here and could provide an answer.

I'd heard of Vostok Europe, and Roamer. Roamer was a fairly popular watch brand in the 1960s, but I hadn't heard of them for many years until they popped up on IW. I'm fairly sure that Roamer nowadays is probably a very different company altogether.

Most of the other watches on IW are of mediocre quality at highly inflated prices. I suppose the reason they don't sell well known brands is because they can't give you a load of old bullshit about some phony history.

I'd heard of Vostok Europe, and Roamer. Roamer was a fairly popular watch brand in the 1960s, but I hadn't heard of them for many years until they popped up on IW. I'm fairly sure that Roamer nowadays is probably a very different company altogether.

Most of the other watches on IW are of mediocre quality at highly inflated prices. I suppose the reason they don't sell well known brands is because they can't give you a load of old bullshit about some phony history.

I'm a bit like yourself, had already heard of the actual genuine watchmaking brands, like VE, Mathey-Tissot, Roamer, Swiss Military, Traser, Sturmanskie, Aviator and more recently the fashion brands like Timberland and Police, which everybody would be familiar with, and as watch enthusiast (or should say addicted to watches :mysmilie_19: ) had already heard of the Invented brands like Earnshaw & Ballast, but C.weisz, Delorean (knew of DMC watches but not this copycat brand) and a host of the others were new to me.
Thing is there is nothing wrong with any of the watches on the shows, as long as you know what you are buying, and that's the biggest problem for me, the misinformation and over-hyping of the watches, inflating prices and inferring they have a quality way above what they actually have. One of the most idiotic things is Peter Simon constantly telling folk they must insure Constantine Weisz watches, why? If anybody broke into your home, a Constantine Weisz collection is probably the last thing that a thief would take. :mysmilie_19:

Roamer is still Roamer, still in Switzerland, never went bust or been resurrected, ownership has changed over the years, but that's the same for the majority of Swiss brands out there, as investment groups and other watch groups try to increase their market share. During the quartz crisis they stopped making their own mechanical movements and mechanical watches, which had a good reputation, but they survived with quartz watches and were very popular in the Asian markets, that kept them afloat. But for some reason their popularity dwindled in Europe and North America so it became a lesser known brand and most folk assumed it had went burst like quite a few other Swiss brands during the quartz crisis, I think folks unfairly right them off because of that, assuming that they are a resurrected brand trying to cash in by using the name of old popular Swiss watch brand. Then they started making mechanical watches again and a few years back started trying to re-establish themselves back into Europe and North American markets. They use Ronda and Eta quartz movements, and STP and ETA mechanical movements. I've got 9 Roamer watches (said i was addicted :mysmilie_19:) all are very good quality IMO.

Latest posts

Back