Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Picture's definitely softer on Freeview, though I recently bought a new television that does a better job of 'cleaning up' the picture (it shouldn't make much difference to Ideal World though). The Ideal World website claims it's also a "step into HD", which is a funny sort of HD unless they're referring to their ITV overnight slot of course.

New softer picture, new logo, sometimes new products as well but still with frequently uninformative sales pitches. Tonight they introduced a 'new' (old) watch brand "Lucien Piccard" and during the short time I was watching they never mentioned on-air whether the watches were mechanical or battery-driven quartz (they weren't automatic because they would have surely mentioned that). Also Lucien Piccard was originally a Swiss watch maker bought by an American family years ago but again from what I saw they never mentioned who owns the brand nowadays or where the watches are made.

They never do mention who owns these re-invented or newer brands, that claim all sorts of history, heritage, expertise and craftsmanship (apart from the actual real watch making companies, ie Swiss Military, Roamer, Mathey Tissot, Vostok Europe). Lucien Picard are definitely not Swiss anymore, haven't been for a while, although they were still using Swiss movements even up to the early 2000s, but they filed bankruptcy in 2010 and were bought by Swiss watch International another Florida based watch supplier, but again they were in trouble in 2017, not 100% sure who owns them now, but the watches being sold on Ideal are made in China/Hong Kong with Japanese movements. It's like a lot of the watches being sold on Ideal world at the moment, ie the presenters insinuating (lying) that the watches are something they are not, like Earnshaw, Swan & Edgar, Ballast, C Weisz, Delorean etc etc, most are made in China/Hong Kong with Japanese/Chinese Movements with the odd one or two specials being made in Switzerland or Germany, Which is usually reflected in the price. Now having said that, there is nothing wrong with the watches, they work and some are nice looking, as long as you realise you are not getting some high end timepiece, with history and heritage behind it, that should be insured as Peter Simon keeps telling folks to do.:mysmilie_19:

Picture's definitely softer on Freeview, though I recently bought a new television that does a better job of 'cleaning up' the picture (it shouldn't make much difference to Ideal World though). The Ideal World website claims it's also a "step into HD", which is a funny sort of HD unless they're referring to their ITV overnight slot of course.

New softer picture, new logo, sometimes new products as well but still with frequently uninformative sales pitches. Tonight they introduced a 'new' (old) watch brand "Lucien Piccard" and during the short time I was watching they never mentioned on-air whether the watches were mechanical or battery-driven quartz (they weren't automatic because they would have surely mentioned that). Also Lucien Piccard was originally a Swiss watch maker bought by an American family years ago but again from what I saw they never mentioned who owns the brand nowadays or where the watches are made.

All the Watches I saw on there last night wee definitely quartz, you tell by the movement of the seconds hand. Looking on Jomashop, Lucien Piccard quartz watches are really cheap, and much cheaper than IW prices. Mechanical offering cost a bit more. I would say they are all made in China, they are too cheap to be Swiss.

Definitely both, but on this occasion think liar is the primary reason, and not just him it's a team effort. I emailed them again last night at 8.10pm, like i did with their last Ballast show, to point out that Peter Simon was still making false claims regarding Ballast, and as he is still doing it, despite my previous email, can only assume that the rest of Ideal world is perfectly happy for him to do so, and are fully complicit with trying to mislead potential watch buyers into believing they are buying watches made by Ballast, a long established Swiss watchmaker, non of which they are. Obviously ignored me again as he spouted the same rubbish 20 minutes later.

Definitely both, but on this occasion think liar is the primary reason, and not just him it's a team effort. I emailed them again last night at 8.10pm, like i did with their last Ballast show, to point out that Peter Simon was still making false claims regarding Ballast, and as he is still doing it, despite my previous email, can only assume that the rest of Ideal world is perfectly happy for him to do so, and are fully complicit with trying to mislead potential watch buyers into believing they are buying watches made by Ballast, a long established Swiss watchmaker, non of which they are. Obviously ignored me again as he spouted the same rubbish 20 minutes later.

No good emailing Ideal World -they are co-conspirators.
You should report to the ASA , here's the link ;

https://www.asa.org.uk/make-a-complaint.html

Thanks, but I have that link already. Looked it up last night, I've sent an inquiry to Ballast themselves first, to find out what their opinion is of Ideal world's falsehoods, awaiting their reply first before I go further.

Fairly certain I've also heard Peter associate Ballast with Switzerland but we need at least two or three instances (ideally more) with dates and times as well as making sure the product(s) being sold aren't always Swiss made since that's another excuse Ideal World could make. If anyone needs help with dates and times of broadcast there's always Ideal World's online show archive at https://www.idealworld.tv/gb/tvschedule covering the previous week. IW might try to blame mistakes on an 'inexperienced producer' (holiday cover might also be mentioned for this time of year) but they have form for pushing the limits of what's acceptable so it may still count against them, fingers crossed.

Fairly certain I've also heard Peter associate Ballast with Switzerland but we need at least two or three instances (ideally more) with dates and times as well as making sure the product(s) being sold aren't always Swiss made since that's another excuse Ideal World could make. If anyone needs help with dates and times of broadcast there's always Ideal World's online show archive at https://www.idealworld.tv/gb/tvschedule covering the previous week. IW might try to blame mistakes on an 'inexperienced producer' (holiday cover might also be mentioned for this time of year) but they have form for pushing the limits of what's acceptable so it may still count against them, fingers crossed.

I have the two Ballast programmes recorded, so if needed can provide ASA with video files. There is a show tonight so we shall see what is said tonight.

As for blaming an 'inexperienced producer' as an excuse, they had a "GUEST EXPERT" with approx 50 years in the watch trade as well as a presenter who has decades of experience selling watches on the show, so that's one excuse that won't wash.

Well Peter Simon was even worse last night, had a good laugh while he's describing the construction of the Ballast Valiant, he says it's all down to the "Heritage of Ballast, they've been in Switzerland since 1903", wonder how they managed that since they were only founded in 2012.:mysmilie_19:
Anyway, have sent of complaint, with details of programmes, times etc of the false claims of Peter Simon and Ideal world.

Well Peter Simon was even worse last night, had a good laugh while he's describing the construction of the Ballast Valiant, he says it's all down to the "Heritage of Ballast, they've been in Switzerland since 1903", wonder how they managed that since they were only founded in 2012.:mysmilie_19:
Anyway, have sent of complaint, with details of programmes, times etc of the false claims of Peter Simon and Ideal world.

Well done !
I only ever did one ASA complaint -it was back in the days of Bid TV and it was also watches and nowhere near as bad as the shenanigans that are happening on Ideal World.
The complaint was upheld , so will be interested to hear how yours progresses.

I watched last night too. The one Ballast watch he sold he claimed that it was "Unadulterated Swiss". Even IW's web site says the watch has a Japanese movement! Another chronograph he said was automatic was in fact quartz.

The man is a menace and needs taking down.

Well done on contacting the ASA.

Don’t like the new logo,picture is blurry on Sky,switched on & Foghorn Jacks is on,wish ideal world would get rid of Foghorn,Tenerife was incorrectly pronounced by this awful presenter,who pronounced it Tenerifee, don’t know what Foghorn has done to her hair,it looks awful.

Why does that annoying little twerp Paul Berk insist on treating viewers like fools by pretending to receive instructions from some imaginary member of the crew. He is the only presenter I know who looks to the side and then repeats what they have (supposedly) told him. He was at it again on the Shadazzle show, turning to his left whilst the pretend crew member was updating him on the sales figures. We know it's utter baloney Berk, all the other presenters use their earpiece for updates, they're not going to make special arrangements for you.

...and whilst I'm here, just what has happened to Kevinski? He used to be top banana in Ideal's world of watches, but it now seems that there's such a deluge of brands that the Vostok brand is in danger of being lost in the crowd. Same for Kevinski. I rather suspect that Thomas Tope (who bears a passing resemblance to Kevinski) is starting to muscle in on Kev's celebrity slot. Such a fickle place, Ideal World.

...and whilst I'm here, just what has happened to Kevinski? He used to be top banana in Ideal's world of watches, but it now seems that there's such a deluge of brands that the Vostok brand is in danger of being lost in the crowd. Same for Kevinski. I rather suspect that Thomas Tope (who bears a passing resemblance to Kevinski) is starting to muscle in on Kev's celebrity slot. Such a fickle place, Ideal World.

I heard (Peter Simon) during one of their watch shows a few weeks ago, something about passing on viewers best wishes to Kevin Reynolds and he was on the mend and would be out of hospital soon, didn't say any more about what was wrong with him.

as for Thomas Tope, always thought he was one of the quiet guests, but he's certainly been speaking more recently, liked him better when he didn't say much though, but recently looks like he's been getting tips from Peter Simon on the art of watch selling on Ideal world.

At the moment they are doing Swan & Edgar. Peter Simon gushing his nonsense, hand built, only 8 a day made by craftsman etc etc.

Here's one he said you should insure this masterpiece, which they are selling at £129 but say it's worth between 3 and 4 hundred, a real collectors piece.

https://www.idealworld.tv/gb/pp/swa...atch-with-genuine-leather-strap-wallet-482943

Better advise would be, tell folks to go to the Ali express and get it direct from china and get it for £21 instead of through middle men like Swan & Edgar and Ideal world.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/328...chweb0_0,searchweb201602_9,searchweb201603_52

At the moment they are doing Swan & Edgar. Peter Simon gushing his nonsense, hand built, only 8 a day made by craftsman etc etc.

Here's one he said you should insure this masterpiece, which they are selling at £129 but say it's worth between 3 and 4 hundred, a real collectors piece.

https://www.idealworld.tv/gb/pp/swa...atch-with-genuine-leather-strap-wallet-482943

Better advise would be, tell folks to go to the Ali express and get it direct from china and get it for £21 instead of through middle men like Swan & Edgar and Ideal world.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/328...chweb0_0,searchweb201602_9,searchweb201603_52

Wasn't he also saying English watch making? More like China made. The one watch was said to be a moon phase watch, which clearly had just a simple day and night feature.

Absolute junk pieces, and there was Simon getting all orgasmic again. Oh, and of course they were all so fabulous, he promised he was buying one of them. Utter liar!

Wasn't he also saying English watch making? More like China made. The one watch was said to be a moon phase watch, which clearly had just a simple day and night feature.

Absolute junk pieces, and there was Simon getting all orgasmic again. Oh, and of course they were all so fabulous, he promised he was buying one of them. Utter liar!

Yes he did, and the promo video they played with Sally Jacks talking, also said, "decades of watch design expertise, and now Swan & Edgar return with a mission, building state of the art British watches, high end beautiful designs", i suppose it just shows how low Britain has sunk that a state of the art British Watch is nothing more than a rebadged cheap watch from China.:sad:

You are correct about the day/night feature, i suppose they call it moon phase cause, a) most of the Chinese watches call the day/night feature a moon phase, and b) they're so ignorant of watch features to know there is a difference, oh and can't forget c) liars, out to deliberately deceive potential buyers.

There's a website for the watches; https://swanandedgar.london/

The 'British design ...decades of experience' stuff is here , so I suppose that's where Sally got her voiceover material from.
Having a 'manufacturers website' with inflated prices is an old shopping telly trick to make the on air prices look good.
It's a simple business model -find a defunct old world brand name , register it and have a Chinese OEM badge the stuff up.
The Ideal World presenters will then gush about 'quality and heritage'...simples !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
The old fraud is on again, this time with a Linsar 55 inch UHD TV. That well known brand you've never heard of! It also comes with a free sound bar.

Of course, he's "never seen anything like it, it's extraordinary". The sound bar, he's "never heard anything like it". He's promised us his loyal viewers, that he is buying one of course. It will sell out, and they won't be able to get more stock. So please hurry, get one immediately. £429.99.

Latest posts

Back