Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

That's disappointing ! I only ever made one complaint to the ASA and that was back in the Bid days. They dealt with it really efficiently and it was upheld.
I have also heard loads of reportable things on Ideal World -particularly from you know who !!!!!

Yes aqua, I also dealt with them a couple of times some years ago and they were very efficient then. I'm just left wondering this time. Maybe they're still dealing with it but it's almost three months!

If I watched IW for one whole day, I think I could count on both hands suitable complaints! The time it takes for them to even deal with one just doesn't seem worth bothering with.

I somehow think they know this.........

Yes aqua, I also dealt with them a couple of times some years ago and they were very efficient then. I'm just left wondering this time. Maybe they're still dealing with it but it's almost three months!

If I watched IW for one whole day, I think I could count on both hands suitable complaints! The time it takes for them to even deal with one just doesn't seem worth bothering with.

I somehow think they know this.........

Whilst some complaints are obviously justified, some are not. Perhaps the ASA have seen this forum and come to realise that for some, complaining is just a way of life and not worth bothering with!

Whilst some complaints are obviously justified, some are not. Perhaps the ASA have seen this forum and come to realise that for some, complaining is just a way of life and not worth bothering with!

Or, they've seen this forum and come to realise that they wouldn't know where to start with all the justified complaints......and due to the long and time consuming business each complaint takes, that they hope nobody might bother

To me it appears that IW are just bulletproof. They can make any ridiculous claim about any product and just get away with it. They have gotten away with it for so long now that the false claims get more and more blatant. Any high street retailer who behaved the same would find themselves explaining it all to a judge.

To me it appears that IW are just bulletproof. They can make any ridiculous claim about any product and just get away with it. They have gotten away with it for so long now that the false claims get more and more blatant. Any high street retailer who behaved the same would find themselves explaining it all to a judge.

Upholding a complaint made towards Ideal World is difficult - they're well-versed in treading a fine line between what's allowed and what isn't - but if you know the relevant rules inside out and prepared to make the effort it's perfectly possible, even at the end of the day it's probably not worth the effort considering the potential end result.

I did consider making a formal ASA complaint in relation to their recent false assertions that LTE "Long Term Evolution" meant a smartphone was actually 'future-proof'; a claim made twice on two different shows, most damningly made by Dennice because she (as I said before) isn't technically-literate enough to make that sort of thing up on the hoof so was probably reading it off an autocue script that had been prepared and signed off in advance by a senior member of Ideal World management so they clearly set out to deceive technologically-illiterate viewers. But I haven't seen it since (and yes I don't watch IW all day every day) therefore IW management could simply blame a (possibly nonexistent) junior producer for not correctly following compliance procedures, and carry on as if nothing had happened.

Maybe if it see it happening again I'll make a formal complaint to the ASA, but as with those scam auctions that fleece buyers before moving on to the next unsuspecting town it makes these deliberate errors more difficult to pin down from a legal perspective. A single complaint can be blamed on a one-off mistake, and two separate complaints can be blamed on junior staff incompetence and/or a serial complainant (if the complainant isn't careful).

If IW management are reading this thread I would mention two recent infractions which I think would have generated upheld complaints ;
1) Peter Simon claiming that Mathey Tissot supply watch movements to Patek Phillipe.
2) Peter Simon introducing Caroline Jones as 'from Garrard , the Queens jewellers .'

They shoot themselves in the foot all the time, because whatever they present, they automatically seem to assume they are an expert at.

Phones...no problem, they spill forth nonsense without knowing if it is true or false. Mattresses....they talk like they are sleep experts. It is so annoying that they get away with this crap.

they had a Beldray air cooler on the other day, a market beating price £35 with postage
more lies , £25 in Boyes

IMG-20190502-WA0000.jpg

Or, they've seen this forum and come to realise that they wouldn't know where to start with all the justified complaints......and due to the long and time consuming business each complaint takes, that they hope nobody might bother

To be honest, you may well be right. I've been looking on Trustpilot, and it doesn't make for pretty reading. I know people are more likely to complain than say positive things, but there are a lot of unhappy customers on there. Difficult to argue with those statistics.

Upholding a complaint made towards Ideal World is difficult - they're well-versed in treading a fine line between what's allowed and what isn't - but if you know the relevant rules inside out and prepared to make the effort it's perfectly possible, even at the end of the day it's probably not worth the effort considering the potential end result.

I did consider making a formal ASA complaint in relation to their recent false assertions that LTE "Long Term Evolution" meant a smartphone was actually 'future-proof'; a claim made twice on two different shows, most damningly made by Dennice because she (as I said before) isn't technically-literate enough to make that sort of thing up on the hoof so was probably reading it off an autocue script that had been prepared and signed off in advance by a senior member of Ideal World management so they clearly set out to deceive technologically-illiterate viewers. But I haven't seen it since (and yes I don't watch IW all day every day) therefore IW management could simply blame a (possibly nonexistent) junior producer for not correctly following compliance procedures, and carry on as if nothing had happened.

Maybe if it see it happening again I'll make a formal complaint to the ASA, but as with those scam auctions that fleece buyers before moving on to the next unsuspecting town it makes these deliberate errors more difficult to pin down from a legal perspective. A single complaint can be blamed on a one-off mistake, and two separate complaints can be blamed on junior staff incompetence and/or a serial complainant (if the complainant isn't careful).

If anyone ever tells you anything is future proof, you know they have to be lying! Technology moves on so quickly nowadays. So apart from the occasional software update, modern tech is soon out of date.

You only have to listen to Peter Simon for a few minutes and you can be sure to hear some false claim or other. The absolute garbage he talks about watches or phones is just amazing to hear. He can't even pronounce the brand names of half the things he sells! The man is a complete joke and should be sacked along with a few more of the so called presenters!

If anyone ever tells you anything is future proof, you know they have to be lying! Technology moves on so quickly nowadays. So apart from the occasional software update, modern tech is soon out of date.

You only have to listen to Peter Simon for a few minutes and you can be sure to hear some false claim or other. The absolute garbage he talks about watches or phones is just amazing to hear. He can't even pronounce the brand names of half the things he sells! The man is a complete joke and should be sacked along with a few more of the so called presenters!

Unfortunately, they are not "so-called" they are ACTUAL presenters, and should never have been given the job

I had to smile at 10 o'clock tonight when Simon and Reynolds appeared on the watch show. They said they had a first for us lucky viewers. It was in fact a solar powered swiss watch. They told us that it was 'a technological breakthrough'. Well, not really. The Japanese have been making solar powered watches for at least a couple of decades. And not only solar, but radio controlled too. It's nice to know that the swiss are finally catching up.

So leave it out fellas, only an idiot could believe your never ending bullshit!

Gollum talking his usual shite. Firstly, tries to convince us that the bonded leather couch will go back to a normal price of £1600....haha. Yeah right mate. I bought a really nice leather couch - bigger than the IW one, that is made of really nice real leather" with recliners at each end, for £1600. What a tool he is.

Then he says how they literally only have one of each colour of the 2 seater and 3 seater. This is on the repeat show by the way. So yeah, you have to hurry up and buy them he says. Go to the website and all but one colour was still available for the 3 seaters, and half the colours for the 2 seater. And that smug grin of his......I really need to punch him.

punch him, bit aggressive mate know what you mean though he has a smug face you would never tire of slapping

I've reported them a few months ago, not him. After their original acknowledgement (ASA), I've heard nothing more.

I've heard lots of reportable things since but it seems futile.

The presenters often say that they are closely governed by them, like they're sitting there watching them.

Just had an email off them today, must have taken them at least three months but they did apologise for the delay which was 'as an oversight of the case'.

The end result is, IW's assurance that they will change the ad in a way the ASA consider resolves the complaint.

Just had an email off them today, must have taken them at least three months but they did apologise for the delay which was 'as an oversight of the case'.

The end result is, IW's assurance that they will change the ad in a way the ASA consider resolves the complaint.

Well at least it justifies you making the complaint ( sort of ).
The other day I heard Peter Simon saying a watch movement he was flogging was found in watches 'costing tens of thousands of pounds' -that's a verbatim quote.
When I googled the said movement it was described in the watch forums as a budget workhorse.

Well at least it justifies you making the complaint ( sort of ).
The other day I heard Peter Simon saying a watch movement he was flogging was found in watches 'costing tens of thousands of pounds' -that's a verbatim quote.
When I googled the said movement it was described in the watch forums as a budget workhorse.

Quite a blatant lie that would take almost three months to deal with a complaint about and then they'd just say that they wouldn't say it again. Closely monitored by the ASA? :mysmilie_19: They know they can get away with anything they say. Also you have his word that he tells it like it is and he'd never do you wrong!

The newest Gevril watches they do, had to laugh the other day. Shaun asked the 'expert' lady beside him 'is this the Tritan'............'it most certainly is the Tritan' she assured..........he then looked at the back of the watch and it had La Luna on it.........'I thought it was the wrong details he said'........that's what comes from having watch experts from a modelling agency :mysmilie_17:

I caught the old dafta award winner(PS)selling a greenworks lawnmower with two batteries yesterday afternoon for £199.99. It was again the old story of 'this must be the wrong price. I can't believe we're selling it for this price, they're checking it now' blah blah.
Well I bought the very same product off IW last year, for the very same price. So please give it a rest, we're all getting sick of the very same story, you old fraud!!

Latest posts

Back