Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

This channel is so off the beaten track, and it really is getting worse. Much worse.

It's thoroughly rotten presenters, it's archaic and often trashy merchandise, it's really tatty studios even after 'renovation', it's premium rate order lines, it's inexplicable often jaw droppingly expensive delivery charges (they charge the same £5.99 to deliver 20ml of Fabucrap as they do a big Steam Press), the amateurish ZX Spectrum Like Graphics, you'd swear it's going all out to bury itself.

It's website is a joke. It's filled with what mostly seems like extra filler garbage on top of what's on screen that surely not even Studio 24 or J D Williams would bother with. On the website they don't even bother telling customers what the delivery timescales are, only (roughly) when it will be 'dispatched'. Even worse they don't even bother doing that on air.

But they seem to not care a jot what innapropriate language some (not all) of their presenters use on air. But now it seems they don't care what lies, and they are lies, are being told and increasingly regularly too.

I'm sure they think because they haven't had regulated complaints nobody has noticed. Maybe that in itself is telling and it's just that nobody really cares.

I think in many ways it is worse than Bid because it has no wit, no irony and absolutely no entertainment value whatsoever. It's from a different time, It's BHS, Woolworths, Austin Reed, Austin Allegro, Austin Powers!

It's past, WELL past, it's use by date. It's positively 'effin mouldy. It's Betamax in a Blu Ray 4K era :mysmilie_59:

I find it interesting that a Peter Simon type relies on a falling channel to be a star.... if he was remotely worth his salt, he'd have been snapped up by qvc.

Surprised they (IW) didn't hire Lisa Brash. At least she is quite amusing.

I find it interesting that a Peter Simon type relies on a falling channel to be a star.... if he was remotely worth his salt, he'd have been snapped up by qvc.

Surprised they (IW) didn't hire Lisa Brash. At least she is quite amusing.

Lisa Brash!!!

She really would be the icing on the cake!!!!

This channel is so off the beaten track, and it really is getting worse. Much worse.

It's thoroughly rotten presenters, it's archaic and often trashy merchandise, it's really tatty studios even after 'renovation', it's premium rate order lines, it's inexplicable often jaw droppingly expensive delivery charges (they charge the same £5.99 to deliver 20ml of Fabucrap as they do a big Steam Press), the amateurish ZX Spectrum Like Graphics, you'd swear it's going all out to bury itself.

It's website is a joke. It's filled with what mostly seems like extra filler garbage on top of what's on screen that surely not even Studio 24 or J D Williams would bother with. On the website they don't even bother telling customers what the delivery timescales are, only (roughly) when it will be 'dispatched'. Even worse they don't even bother doing that on air.

But they seem to not care a jot what innapropriate language some (not all) of their presenters use on air. But now it seems they don't care what lies, and they are lies, are being told and increasingly regularly too.

Ideal World used to have quite smart on-screen graphics circa 2009 (back in the days when the presentation was clear, concise and factual), but the current text/graphics look ghastly and should have been ditched years ago just like the old BHS store fittings.

I'm currently thinking about buying a new watch but it's the knowledge of IW's inflated prices for (sometimes) mediocre quality merchandise that has definitely kept me from even thinking about buying anything from them, let alone feeling guilty for somehow helping to fund Gollum's lifestyle. For example you can buy a Scuderia Ferrari watch from Argos for as little as £31.99 as well as a very nice-looking watch for £51.99 so why should I have any confidence in IW selling watches with the same brand that are £200+? They *may* be worth the money but I'm not a watch expert so how am I to know? It's this distinct lack of confidence that's the deal-breaker.

Plus I can (just about) understand why they would keep someone like Peter Simon though his behaviour should have been reigned in a long time ago; there are acceptable limits that should be adhered to but aren't. And I'm not referring to some of his dodgy jokes either.

Though it's a complete mystery why they should hang on to presenters like Poo Poo Howard...

Ideal World used to have quite smart on-screen graphics circa 2009 (back in the days when the presentation was clear, concise and factual), but the current text/graphics look ghastly and should have been ditched years ago just like the old BHS store fittings.

I'm currently thinking about buying a new watch but it's the knowledge of IW's inflated prices for (sometimes) mediocre quality merchandise that has definitely kept me from even thinking about buying anything from them, let alone feeling guilty for somehow helping to fund Gollum's lifestyle. For example you can buy a Scuderia Ferrari watch from Argos for as little as £31.99 as well as a very nice-looking watch for £51.99 so why should I have any confidence in IW selling watches with the same brand that are £200+? They *may* be worth the money but I'm not a watch expert so how am I to know? It's this distinct lack of confidence that's the deal-breaker.

Plus I can (just about) understand why they would keep someone like Peter Simon though his behaviour should have been reigned in a long time ago; there are acceptable limits that should be adhered to but aren't. And I'm not referring to some of his dodgy jokes either.

Though it's a complete mystery why they should hang on to presenters like Poo Poo Howard...

Whatever you do, don't buy any brand of Watch which is being sold on IW. Stick to a well known name, such as Seiko or Citizen, even a Timex would be better than the overpriced TV brand Watches. There are plenty of Watch sellers on eBay based in Singapore or Hong Kong who do great deals. I can speak from experience, as I have had quite a few Watches from those dealers. One good seller being dutyfreeisland.

Just had a quick look on the Argos site. The price of one IW's Ferrari Chronograph Watches in black and red is £195. Argos's price £79.99, same Watch in black and yellow, £49.99.

Thanks for the good deals Ideal World. How do you do it?

Just had a quick look on the Argos site. The price of one IW's Ferrari Chronograph Watches in black and red is £195. Argos's price £79.99, same Watch in black and yellow, £49.99.

Thanks for the good deals Ideal World. How do you do it?

Remember that Watch they sold on the first ever presentation of Mathey-Tissot a few weeks back? Apparently there were only 130 ever made.

Well it came back for a second bite of the cherry the next week, 'Alberto' opened up the factory so Kevinski could have some more as a thank you to Ideal World.

Well, it's back again now. It still costs an inconceivable, unthinkable, unimaginable £1,150.00 so if anyone fancies it please, please get it insured. In fact sack that, get yourself insured if you're crazy enough to buy that thing :mysmilie_59:

image.jpg

Remember that Watch they sold on the first ever presentation of Mathey-Tissot a few weeks back? Apparently there were only 130 ever made.

Well it came back for a second bite of the cherry the next week, 'Alberto' opened up the factory so Kevinski could have some more as a thank you to Ideal World.

Well, it's back again now. It still costs an inconceivable, unthinkable, unimaginable £1,150.00 so please, please get it insured :mysmilie_59:

View attachment 12423

I just saw Simon selling that Mathey Tissio along with the Horologist's Horologist. That's just a bit of Simonese, not me saying that!

I just saw Simon selling that Mathey Tissio along with the Horologist's Horologist. That's just a bit of Simonese, not me saying that!

He's awful isn't he?

But not as awful as Kevinski, this is the archetypal schlock. The archetypal schlock will always bring a story along, better still personalise it. Today's timely personalisation is that a member of Ideal World staff got married today, a picture appeared on screen of the bride. She looked beautiful in her dress, herself and the groom got this watch, didn't quite catch how that came about. Perhaps it was a present from her 'colleagues'?

Anyway, it was a nice story. As is The Lion King :mysmilie_59:

So where was the picture of the Groom with his wonderful Watch?

Now selling that awful Penny Watch. Wouldn't want it for free!

I didn't see the Groom either, and I didn't catch the Brides name or what she 'does' at Ideal World. But she looked lovely.

Kevinski is like a modern day Hans Christian Andersen :mysmilie_59:

I didn't see the Groom either, and I didn't catch the Brides name or what she 'does' at Ideal World. But she looked lovely.

Kevinski is like a modern day Hans Christian Andersen :mysmilie_59:

And Simon makes believe that he sucks it all up and adds to his penny worth too.

And Simon makes believe that he sucks it all up and adds to his penny worth too.

It's toe curling isn't it?

But if Ideal World does bite the dust, and I hope it doesn't, we will be able to look back at these Watch and Ring Presentations as a summing up of what went wrong. These sales are appalling.

Worse still than Bid and it's Triplet Opal and Tanzo Fest, Kevinski is incredulous :mysmilie_59:

during the 8pm hour with Peter Simon and Chef William..... Peter Simon flat out tried to claim that he was asked to be on celeb big brother but he said no, so they went for biggins instead.

What a bullshitting ****er.

during the 8pm hour with Peter Simon and Chef William..... Peter Simon flat out tried to claim that he was asked to be on celeb big brother but he said no, so they went for biggins instead.

What a bullshitting ****er.

Interesting Mr Tom. Back in the days of Bid he claimed he was going to be on 'Bake Off'. He's also claimed to have been asked several times to appear on 'I'm A Celebrity' :mysmilie_59:

I'm a Celebrity? I know times are tough but they are not that desperate...

Quite Muttley. This all made me recall an interview he gave to Metro many years ago.

He claimed he was writing his Autobiography and that it would contain many revelations, it never materialised. He also claimed he was working for the BBC when he was approached by Bid. Obviously I could be wrong but as I understand it he'd long since left the BBC by then. And in the interview he was asked what he'd do if approached to join QVC to which he answered 'They already have, and so have the other four, but I won’t do any more selly telly' :mysmilie_19:

It's amazing how many approaches he has had that haven't materialised into anything isn't it? He must be very choosy.

Many years back he was a well known fixture in the Gay Village in Manchester, he was often to be seen with his can of Breaker Beer and his gaggle of 'friends'. But for some reason I understand there was a belief among some people that he was the 'Head of BBC Children's Television' which I'm pretty sure he wasn't.

I wonder where they got that idea from? :mysmilie_59:

http://metro.co.uk/2009/10/27/peter-simon-637122/

Quite Muttley. This all made me recall an interview he gave to Metro many years ago.

He claimed he was writing his Autobiography and that it would contain many revelations, it never materialised. He also claimed he was working for the BBC when he was approached by Bid. Obviously I could be wrong but as I understand it he'd long since left the BBC by then. And in the interview he was asked what he'd do if approached to join QVC to which he answered 'They already have, and so have the other four, but I won’t do any more selly telly' :mysmilie_19:

It's amazing how many approaches he has had that haven't materialised into anything isn't it? He must be very choosy.

Many years back he was a well known fixture in the Gay Village in Manchester, he was often to be seen with his can of Breaker Beer and his gaggle of 'friends'. But for some reason I understand there was a belief among some people that he was the 'Head of BBC Children's Television' which I'm pretty sure he wasn't.

I wonder where they got that idea from? :mysmilie_59:

http://metro.co.uk/2009/10/27/peter-simon-637122/
"
I enjoyed reading that. I think a telling quote in it was: "Do you realise how entertaining Bid-Up is, even for those with no intention to buy?". This to me sums up how Bid TV went to the wall and how IW is in danger of going the same way. They started to blur the line between entertainment and commerce. In focussing on the former, they started to neglect their duties to accurately represent items for sale and increasingly fell foul of the relevant regulations. And by employing wannabe or ex 'stars' like Gollum and Dirty Peter, they are making a rod for their own back- Gollum is far more interested in 'being a star' than selling goods within the relevant legislation.

"
I enjoyed reading that. I think a telling quote in it was: "Do you realise how entertaining Bid-Up is, even for those with no intention to buy?". This to me sums up how Bid TV went to the wall and how IW is in danger of going the same way. They started to blur the line between entertainment and commerce. In focussing on the former, they started to neglect their duties to accurately represent items for sale and increasingly fell foul of the relevant regulations. And by employing wannabe or ex 'stars' like Gollum and Dirty Peter, they are making a rod for their own back- Gollum is far more interested in 'being a star' than selling goods within the relevant legislation.

Indeed.

But, for all it's faults, the million miles away from mainstream Bid genuinely was 'wildly' entertaining, Ideal World isn't even plain entertaining. It tries to be but you just can't do that when you're also purporting to be a mainstream shopping channel.

It's a hotch potch of some decent goods but mostly crap, with really unpleasnt often hysterical or mind numbingly dull/slimy presenters, a hideous on screen look, ridiculous ripoff delivery charges and premium rate order lines and a website that looks like the home screen to AOL in 1995 :mysmilie_59:

Latest posts

Back