Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I caught some of a watch show last night, Kevin the watch guy with whatever presenter. They were presenting the solid gold watch that buyers are getting for 1/2 price ;)

Kevin went to great lengths to state the gram weight of all major components excluding the strap, so he could then state the remaining gram weight of the gold. He then went on to say along the lines of 'we're the only retailer that provides so much accurate information.' Aye ok then ...

And why oh why (I know why but just venting) do they insist on doing ridiculous 'savings' i.e. should be £10k but you're getting it for £5k. That's a tactic you use when doing clearance, end of lines etc. The 'solid gold watch' is supposed to be thee best watch they've ever done!

Do you get genuine tier 1 brands discounting like this? 'Yes sir this Ferrari should be selling for £300k however we have it on sale for £150k.'

Firstly I have to say, nothing against Mathey-Tissot, own a few and very good watches really like some of their range, although they can be had cheaper on ebay and Jomashop than IW, I was having a quick look online last night, Tissot have 18K solid gold watches around the same weight M-T 55g v T 52g, similar movement, the Mathey-Tissot has ETA 2824 the Tissot has ETA 2892 (better finished movement). I would say the Tissot is a better size for a dress watch, 39.8mm x 8mm thick as against Mathey at 42.5mm x 13mm, probably that size for the steel ring inside it.;) But you can get the Tissot for £2700, so i'm not getting the £5,000 let alone the original £10,000 price tag. Unless they are doing the small number issued as a way to artificially bump up the price. At £10,000 or even the reduced £5,000 tag, with a display back I would be looking at least some effort made to decorate the movement, but it looked a rather plain ETA 2824, also despite the claims of a lot of details, no mention of what grade the movement was, at that price that is something i would want to know.
I don't know if they are trying to place themselves in to a higher luxury grade of watches than previously and charging a price for that level, the only thing with that is, along with luxury materials being used, you also need to up the watchmaking game, ie, a more luxurious finish not only to the dial & case, but to the movement. I recently got a Baume & Mercier Baumatic chronometer 5 day power reserve, and the finishing of the movement makes that ETA 2824 look rather plain and unappealing to look at and i got it at a third of the price of the Mathey-Tissot.

And they still never explained, if GTLS tubes glow in the dark, why shine a UV torch on them? The glow they give off under a UV torch is nothing like the glow you get in the dark so why do it.

How can they say 'you won't see anyone else wearing this watch'?

It's a silly thing to say really. I'm not far away from 50 :( and I can't recall a time (pardon the pun!) when I've been chatting to another man and noticed we had the same watch on. It no doubt happens, law of averages and all that, but even with so called high quantity common watches, I doubt anyone frequently sees someone wearing the same model.

So I suppose based on that, and given most of the stuff they sell is in lower numbers, they're actually communicating a semi-accurate statement for once ;)

p.s. or is it just because most get the watches home and think 'emmm, I can't be seen out wearing this!' :)

Firstly I have to say, nothing against Mathey-Tissot, own a few and very good watches really like some of their range, although they can be had cheaper on ebay and Jomashop than IW, I was having a quick look online last night, Tissot have 18K solid gold watches around the same weight M-T 55g v T 52g, similar movement, the Mathey-Tissot has ETA 2824 the Tissot has ETA 2892 (better finished movement). I would say the Tissot is a better size for a dress watch, 39.8mm x 8mm thick as against Mathey at 42.5mm x 13mm, probably that size for the steel ring inside it.;) But you can get the Tissot for £2700, so i'm not getting the £5,000 let alone the original £10,000 price tag. Unless they are doing the small number issued as a way to artificially bump up the price. At £10,000 or even the reduced £5,000 tag, with a display back I would be looking at least some effort made to decorate the movement, but it looked a rather plain ETA 2824, also despite the claims of a lot of details, no mention of what grade the movement was, at that price that is something i would want to know.
I don't know if they are trying to place themselves in to a higher luxury grade of watches than previously and charging a price for that level, the only thing with that is, along with luxury materials being used, you also need to up the watchmaking game, ie, a more luxurious finish not only to the dial & case, but to the movement. I recently got a Baume & Mercier Baumatic chronometer 5 day power reserve, and the finishing of the movement makes that ETA 2824 look rather plain and unappealing to look at and i got it at a third of the price of the Mathey-Tissot.

And they still never explained, if GTLS tubes glow in the dark, why shine a UV torch on them? The glow they give off under a UV torch is nothing like the glow you get in the dark so why do it.
Ooh I like Baume & Mercier:love: Lovely pieces
Now, I've tuned in to see these Philip Stein watches, a name I've not heard of, & what a load of Hippy claptrapo_O The "Expert" hasn't a clue what they are or how they're supposed to work, how they can harness the earth's magnetic field into a little disc is beyond me.:alien:
When they mention "celebrities" I hear, more money than sense. Surely people aren't so gullible as to fall for this?

It's a silly thing to say really. I'm not far away from 50 :( and I can't recall a time (pardon the pun!) when I've been chatting to another man and noticed we had the same watch on. It no doubt happens, law of averages and all that, but even with so called high quantity common watches, I doubt anyone frequently sees someone wearing the same model.

So I suppose based on that, and given most of the stuff they sell is in lower numbers, they're actually communicating a semi-accurate statement for once ;)

p.s. or is it just because most get the watches home and think 'emmm, I can't be seen out wearing this!' :)
Funny you mention this, a couple of years ago at a car show, I was chatting to another member over coffee, and he pointed out my C. Ward C60 diver. He had the exact same watch ono_O So it does happen:LOL:

Ooh I like Baume & Mercier:love: Lovely pieces
Now, I've tuned in to see these Philip Stein watches, a name I've not heard of, & what a load of Hippy claptrapo_O The "Expert" hasn't a clue what they are or how they're supposed to work, how they can harness the earth's magnetic field into a little disc is beyond me.:alien:
When they mention "celebrities" I hear, more money than sense. Surely people aren't so gullible as to fall for this?

Unfortunately we live in a society (actually it's always been this way to varying degrees) where large portions of the public do succumb to the celebrity endorsement thing, especially if it's a celeb they're really into. They seem to lose the ability to apply any degree of rationality (Why is the celeb doing this? Have they been paid or doing it for free? Is the product actually any good? etc etc.)

As for products like this, if they work for some people and even if it's actually just a psychosomatic thing going on, fair enough I suppose ... as long as the company and retailers aren't making any unsubstantiated and/or outlandish claims.

As a watch lover you'll no doubt hate me for saying this, but I don't completely get things like the exhibition backs etc. When you're wearing the thing no one can see the back, so do you take it off to show people or just sit at home admiring the back of the watch yourself :) ;)

I'm getting a bit fed up the way IW continually talk about auto watches as if it's a magical thing from another galaxy. Yeah it's impressive to an extent and jokes aside I do see how watch lovers will be into impressive exhibition backs etc, however these watches have been out for years so stop talking about the technology as if it's been sent from the gods ... because it hasn't. Basically, there's a weight that moves when you move, it winds a spring that powers the mechanism that turns the hands. Stop making out it's magic!!!

As a watch lover you'll no doubt hate me for saying this, but I don't completely get things like the exhibition backs etc. When you're wearing the thing no one can see the back, so do you take it off to show people or just sit at home admiring the back of the watch yourself

I'm getting a bit fed up the way IW continually talk about auto watches as if it's a magical thing from another galaxy. Yeah it's impressive to an extent and jokes aside I do see how watch lovers will be into impressive exhibition backs etc, however these watches have been out for years so stop talking about the technology as if it's been sent from the gods ... because it hasn't. Basically, there's a weight that moves when you move, it winds a spring that powers the mechanism that turns the hands. Stop making out it's magic!!!

Not one bit, we’re all different, have different likes and dislikes, be a boring world if we we’re all the same and same views and opinions, same likes and dislike, hobbies etc. I may like and be a bit (just a tiny bit ;):ROFLMAO: ) obsessed about watches but doesn’t mean everybody is or has to be, for most people a watch is a tool first and foremost, for some it’s a tool and a piece of jewellery and for some a bit more. And on the point of IW and the exaggeration of the watch movements in the watch IW sell, I agree, most of them a pretty basic automatics and don’t deserve the level of adulation the presenters and guests give them, although there are some decent movements sprinkled in amongst the majority of ordinary basic movements. As for exhibition backs, well you’d have to be a lover watches to probably appreciated that one, although there is a big difference in the wow factor when looking at an NH35 (Say Vostok Europe Almaz) where the only thing done to it is to have the brands name on the customised rotor to say a Glashutte movement, where every piece of the movement is finished by hand, just a thing of beauty and yes can sit and stare and admire it for ages.

Of course that’s going from one extreme to the other, but it kinda illustrates the point of why some may like an exhibition back.

I suppose one other reason IW make a big thing out of automatics, really stems from the past, automatics/hand wind was the only type of watch at one time, then quartz appeared and decimated a lot of the existing brands, although there has been a resurgence, automatics still only make up a very, very small percentage of the watches sold, although for watch collectors it’s the opposite, but a lot of collectors have quartz watches as well and there are some high end quartz watches. But I suppose with automatics being in the minority as far as watches sold, then I can see where IW would make a big deal out of automatics and their worth to collectors, but as said earlier, not all automatics deserve the adulation heaped on them by IW.

Not that keen on Greg Wallace personally but he's still better than Mike Mason, though Mason is merely employed as an overconfident salesman adept at shilling stuff and would be easily out of his depth on one of the main TV channels.

Just heard Mike Mason telling us on the Coda Spark laptop show how much he dislikes using his mobile phone for anything computer tasks related. E-mails, Net research, using the too small, fiddly keyboards, which are not for these tasks...In fact, it is not a mild dislike, he CAN'T STAND doing computing type tasks on it. It makes his head ACHE. His phone just doesn't cut it. I do appreciate his candour, his honesty, his sheer unadulterated sincerity, shining out like a beacon of light on the often stormy seas of the sometimes seedy, simpering, and shifty world of shopping TV selling. I must look back now through the archives of IW and search out a similar display of such earnest passion when he was last selling a smart phone, where so often the main selling tactic by others is to favourably equate them to computers and being able to replicate anything a computer can do on one. Still searching for that footage at the moment...

Just heard Mike Mason telling us on the Coda Spark laptop show how much he dislikes using his mobile phone for anything computer tasks related. E-mails, Net research, using the too small, fiddly keyboards, which are not for these tasks...In fact, it is not a mild dislike, he CAN'T STAND doing computing type tasks on it. It makes his head ACHE. His phone just doesn't cut it. I do appreciate his candour, his honesty, his sheer unadulterated sincerity, shining out like a beacon of light on the often stormy seas of the sometimes seedy, simpering, and shifty world of shopping TV selling. I must look back now through the archives of IW and search out a similar display of such earnest passion when he was last selling a smart phone, where so often the main selling tactic by others is to favourably equate them to computers and being able to replicate anything a computer can do on one. Still searching for that footage at the moment...

To be fair...I agree..as much as I love my phone...I much prefer to use the main computer to do type tasks, and this is probably true of many....so he's just stating the obvious. A mobile phone and a pc/laptop are completely different animals - so really it's like comparing a cat with a dog. I think they just try and grasp at anything to try and make a sale. I also totally agree that it's highly likely that his smartphone spiel will include the lines..."You don't wanna be draggin' round that evvy ol laptop when you can do evrythink and more on this little beauty" - "Try findin a flat surface to put yer laptop on when yer aht n abat...does me nut every time!"

Sally on the Boneco, says she’s worked in the Industry for 10 years now, She’s worked with the products for many years as well, so she knows what’s good, what’s mediocre and what’s <made a sound>(which must mean crap) and this is a very, very, very, very good make, very well put together blah blah.

I‘m slightly confused, considering everything Ideal world sells is amazing, top quality, the best etc etc, how the hell would she know what was mediocre or crap?:unsure::ROFLMAO:

Latest posts

Back