Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

A lot of quartz watches never do, annoys the hell out of me, just lazy. It's why I only have auto's or mechanical.

I'm similar, but just have a few quartz, most just cause i like the look of the watch or they are chronos, also get fed up changing batteries, all have different sizes of batteries and some are a real pest to change.

I doubt very much Special forces from any country would want a watch that shines in the dark:unsure:
Sorry, you're wrong!

'Sshhh, Sshhh … quiet team, quiet. Stay completely still. Okay, I think they've gone. Right, what do we know? Well, it's 1am, pitch black and we're stranded in this outhouse surrounded by the enemy. Except for one possible route out, across that stone wall. I know for a fact C Team is in direct sight-line of us in that direction, they're approx. 7 miles away. I'm going to use Morse code to signal them.'

'But sir, we don't have a light source, our last torch stopped working 2 hours ago. I'm not sure the Special Forces procurement team have done the right thing starting to buy our equipment from Ideal World!'

'Don't worry Jones, I'm going to use my watch. It has SFS ... Special Forces Superduperlumanova! I'll simply move my hand over it to create the Morse code!'

;)

This alone shows you how farcical some of the stuff they spout is. Start of the watch show last night with Peter S and the Hanowa watch expert. The very first watch they were selling was £139.99. Peter going to great lengths to tell us how it was a £400 watch all day long (expert nodding in agreement) and how bringing it to air at £139.99 was testimony to the hard work put in by Jim, Jock, Jenny, Jasper, Jane, Jack, Jill and John.

Quick check on Google, found an eBay seller (with good feedback) doing it for £129.99 :) :) :)

And tbh it annoys me the way Peter starts the watch hours with stories of how hard the last few months have been for watch manufacturers, I'm surprised they don't play sad music over this. It's like a sob story, designed to pull at the heart strings and to get viewers to buy out of what, sympathy and to put some pennies into the manufacturers pockets?

Jokes aside, it's a shame for all companies that have struggled over recent months and for their employees. However don't try to project stuff on to me as a viewer so I'll buy out of subconscious concern for them. I'm pretty sure the owners, CEOs and senior management of these companies are still doing very well.
Surprised he didn't mention the tea lady and cleaner for the hard work they put in.

Kevin Reynolds. Has just said if you don’t like the watch please send them back, as people will be wanting to receive it.

So are some of these watches second hand, or does he sell them online.

Probably the watches sent back and sent out to new buyers, will be the ones that are unworn and show no signs of being used, Watchbase (where the watches come from) used to put a security tag on the strap, if you remove the tag you can't return, and you wouldn't be wearing the watch with the tag, any that have signs of being worn with be sold later on their ebay site.

Basel world is a watch fair I guess

Yes, was cancelled this year, due to Covid. But it's most likely on it's last legs anyway, a lot of the top brands had already pulled out of the event before covid over costs etc, so there's a chance it won't return.

Reason we pick up on it being mentioned all the time, is a lot of the watches they are claiming would have been launched at Baselword this year wouldn't have been, Baslworld is for watch brands displaying their new ranges, and in this particular case the Aviator watches were already in the market place so wouldn't have been at Baselworld, maybe Baslworld 2018 but not this year.
Plus all the other brands, like Swan & Edgar, CCCP, Heritor, Constantin weisz etc wouldn't have been part of the official Baselworld show, they may have had a rep in Basel walking about with a briefcase with watches in it and trying to do back room deals in corridors, cafes, hotel rooms etc, but they most certainly wouldn't have been an exhibitor or launching watches as part of the official Baselworld show.

Yes, was cancelled this year, due to Covid. But it's most likely on it's last legs anyway, a lot of the top brands had already pulled out of the event before covid over costs etc, so there's a chance it won't return.

Reason we pick up on it being mentioned all the time, is a lot of the watches they are claiming would have been launched at Baselword this year wouldn't have been, Baslworld is for watch brands displaying their new ranges, and in this particular case the Aviator watches were already in the market place so wouldn't have been at Baselworld, maybe Baslworld 2018 but not this year.
Plus all the other brands, like Swan & Edgar, CCCP, Heritor, Constantin weisz etc wouldn't have been part of the official Baselworld show, they may have had a rep in Basel walking about with a briefcase with watches in it and trying to do back room deals in corridors, cafes, hotel rooms etc, but they most certainly wouldn't have been an exhibitor or launching watches as part of the official Baselworld show.
Thanks as my dad would say If you don’t ask you don’t know

Almost every time Baselworld is mentioned I can't help but think of ...

basil.jpg

Of course if you miss out on the special Aviator with the Valjoux 7750, that Kev's told such a wonderful story (Kev always has a good story to tell), of how it wasn't available to the public, and he's got the last 22 in the World, you can always go to Poljot.de they've been selling it since 2017, they got the same watch with numbers etc highlighted with white & silver on the dial instead of red on the IW one.
I wonder if that means that it's not just limited to 250 but 250 of each colour?

IW

567904_STANDARD__000_20200629_4.jpg

Poljot.de

7750avs5.jpg

Latest posts

Back