Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

OMG:eek: Just stumbled on TJC channel with Gamages watches, is the spiv "expert" Fields' dad? Same patter. And the presenter:eek::eek: could he be any more over the top????
The watches are the same Chinese crap

OMG:eek: Just stumbled on TJC channel with Gamages watches, is the spiv "expert" Fields' dad? Same patter. And the presenter:eek::eek: could he be any more over the top????
The watches are the same Chinese crap

Damn missed it, don't really watch the other shopping channels (except the V channel for a laugh and the channel with the Copper Chef), yeah as Mommabear says it's his dad Antoni Fields.
Although they are the same company, with very similar watches, Gamages have significantly higher RRPs compared to Swan & Edgar.

Strange how, the 'spiv' does the TJC but Fields junior does IW, especially as senior is continually mentioned on IW, of course senior isn't in control of Fields Luxury ltd, his son is the sole director, which is probably due to the fact that senior got into trouble for dodging paying corporation tax at one of the failed property companies he was a director of.

he's also been involved in loads of companies that are now defunct.

I've managed to abstain from IW for quite some time, but skipped channels before and landed on the iPhone 6S show.

Ginger fella "............which is why I recommend iPhone's to pretty much everyone I know"

But...but.....he is always telling us how the cheap, crap android phones are amazing and well worth buying. I'm confused.....he wouldn't be lying would he? :ROFLMAO:

Thanks for the clarification guys, thought there was a similarity in the sales pitch, obviously have the same script writer.:ROFLMAO:
Re the higher RRP on the Gamages, over 600 quid (my keyboard doesn't have currency icons) for one, down to 99.99:eek: must be good.
One of the watches had a similar face/function as the S&E, in that a tachymeter but no stop watch:cool:
He also kept referring to the watches "He" makes, so his son must be correct, a long family history of watchmakers. NOT!:unsure::ROFLMAO:

They're selling watches for £99 - £199 and giving a free gift worth £70. Anyone with a modicum of sense will know this means the watch, free gift or both are low value items in terms of their (real) retail price ... not the farcical book or supplier website prices.

I don't mean this to be nasty, however if anyone actually believes the guff they spout and the figures banded about, I feel sorry for them. If on the other hand you see through all that stuff and buy eyes wide open, fair enough.

As for the TJC show last night, I watched some of it. The TJC presenter was throwing the (supposedly) very expensive watches about right left and centre. At one point he just kind of dropped a watch a few centimetres on to the tabletop (intentionally as he was moving on to another one) … CLATTER! And when showing 2-3 on his wrist he didn't care if they were banging into each other. Very professional. And beautiful slightly dirty bitten down nails, very nice to see in close up!

I personally think most of these watches are tat and certainly not worth ANY more than the screen price.

Thanks for the clarification guys, thought there was a similarity in the sales pitch, obviously have the same script writer.:ROFLMAO:
Re the higher RRP on the Gamages, over 600 quid (my keyboard doesn't have currency icons) for one, down to 99.99:eek: must be good.
One of the watches had a similar face/function as the S&E, in that a tachymeter but no stop watch:cool:
He also kept referring to the watches "He" makes, so his son must be correct, a long family history of watchmakers. NOT!:unsure::ROFLMAO:

What I noticed is the watches are all virtually the same but with slight variations, some are just different coloured dials from S & E, others they are using vertical sub dial orientations instead of the horizontal that S & E use, but basically they are the same quality, ie same as many low priced Ali watches.

The presenter, Mark, was told by 4th generation spiv that he had a good wrist for his watches. Presenter said that his wrist was good for other things too (with a smirk). Tacky comment went with the tacky merchandise.

I've noticed with some of the presenters on IW, they do like to drop in some smutty, tacky comments from time to time, of course that slimey git Peter Simon is the worst, but Reg Varney & Mason aren't far behind. Must be a thing with male presenters on shopping TV.

They're selling watches for £99 - £199 and giving a free gift worth £70. Anyone with a modicum of sense will know this means the watch, free gift or both are low value items in terms of their (real) retail price ... not the farcical book or supplier website prices.

I don't mean this to be nasty, however if anyone actually believes the guff they spout and the figures banded about, I feel sorry for them. If on the other hand you see through all that stuff and buy eyes wide open, fair enough.

As for the TJC show last night, I watched some of it. The TJC presenter was throwing the (supposedly) very expensive watches about right left and centre. At one point he just kind of dropped a watch a few centimetres on to the tabletop (intentionally as he was moving on to another one) … CLATTER! And when showing 2-3 on his wrist he didn't care if they were banging into each other. Very professional. And beautiful slightly dirty bitten down nails, very nice to see in close up!

I personally think most of these watches are tat and certainly not worth ANY more than the screen price.

On the first point, I would say, judging by the reviews they receive, that a lot do believe the hype, and that goes for their loyal watch collectors, some of their revues just shows their total ignorance of actual quality watches, and I think the fact they sometimes get name dropped on the shows also gives them this delusional state, that because IW continually call them knowledgeable watch collectors then they must be.

Didn't see that show, but Shaun Ryan is guilty of the same behaviour, it' shocking the way he handles and presents the watches, it so unprofessional, and a total disregard for the so called high quality, luxury watches he is handling, and to think he has the cheek to calls himself a watch lover and collector.

This is a reply from Colin, a watchmaker with his own company, who was responding to a query concerning the Gamages brand (https://www.great-british-watch.co.uk/march-2020-update/)

Hi Pieter,

Thank you for your comment. I had not heard of Gamages of London before and so have taken a look at their website.

After looking at the watches that they have for sale, I can say with confidence that these are all 100% made in China. They will have asked a Chinese manufacturer to put their brand on a watch and have them complete all the work for them. The company and brand may well be British, but the watches unfortunately are not.

Colin

I also came across a rather expensive Gamages watch on an auction website: https://www.catawiki.com/l/40992315...automatic-steel-white-ga0057-men-2011-present

The 'expert' provides this dubious description for the watch: The Gamages Tourbillon men’s watch requires 30 watchmakers, 450 processes and 6 months to develop...

According to the auction listing it has already secured a bid for €1,000.

Oh dear.

It was both cringeworthy and funny as the presenter struggled to fasten the mesh bracelet, and dropped the watch several times:ROFLMAO:
Another thing the spiv said, the watches are very light, who wants a heavy watch on the wrist? I thought weight equated to quality, Hmm:unsure::ROFLMAO:

This is a reply from Colin, a watchmaker with his own company, who was responding to a query concerning the Gamages brand (https://www.great-british-watch.co.uk/march-2020-update/)

Hi Pieter,

Thank you for your comment. I had not heard of Gamages of London before and so have taken a look at their website.

After looking at the watches that they have for sale, I can say with confidence that these are all 100% made in China. They will have asked a Chinese manufacturer to put their brand on a watch and have them complete all the work for them. The company and brand may well be British, but the watches unfortunately are not.

Colin

I also came across a rather expensive Gamages watch on an auction website: https://www.catawiki.com/l/40992315...automatic-steel-white-ga0057-men-2011-present

The 'expert' provides this dubious description for the watch: The Gamages Tourbillon men’s watch requires 30 watchmakers, 450 processes and 6 months to develop...

According to the auction listing it has already secured a bid for €1,000.

Oh dear.

There was one on the Swan & Edgar site recently, not sure if it still there, but if you go direct to China (aliexpress) and you'll get a bigger selection of Tourbillion watches a lot cheaper and they all come with the same cases as the Gamages one.

Had to laugh at Shona calling Peter V "a proper expert", just about choked on my lunch. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

You just can't believe he can spout so much nonsense over a ceramic heater.

Also he keeps saying all the new builds in Peterborough are installing ceramic, funny when you look at the different site for new builds in and around Peterborough, they all have normal central heating systems, no ceramic in sight. I'm i missing something or is there a different Peterborough out that Peter is speaking about? :unsure:

And as far as his experiment goes, that's just a con, it's not something that defies logic but is easily explained.

I've noticed with some of the presenters on IW, they do like to drop in some smutty, tacky comments from time to time, of course that slimey git Peter Simon is the worst, but Reg Varney & Mason aren't far behind. Must be a thing with male presenters on shopping TV.
Which is why genuine tier 1 watch and jewelry brands would never let their products be sold on a channel such as IW, TJC etc. It actually gets quite tiring to watch (the watch shows) as it's just a fast moving process of mediocre watch after mediocre watch with guff spouted from presenter and 'expert.'

Had to laugh at Shona calling Peter V "a proper expert", just about choked on my lunch. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

You just can't believe he can spout so much nonsense over a ceramic heater.

Also he keeps saying all the new builds in Peterborough are installing ceramic, funny when you look at the different site for new builds in and around Peterborough, they all have normal central heating systems, no ceramic in sight. I'm i missing something or is there a different Peterborough out that Peter is speaking about? :unsure:

And as far as his experiment goes, that's just a con, it's not something that defies logic but is easily explained.
Let's see how long the ceramic cores retain their heat in a cold room.

They always talk so much GUFF on the heating shows. 'It's on wheels so you can move it from room to room.' Okaaaaaay, so it's the depths of winter and my house is FREEZING. I'm sitting in my lounge with my heater and want to pop through to my bedroom for 10 mins. So I take my mobile heater into my FREEZING bedroom. By the time it's starting to heat that room up, I'm on my way back to the lounge with my heater. The lounge is now a bit colder (cause it's had no heat for 10 mins) but starts to heat up again. I then want to go into my FREEZING dining room for 15 mins, off I go with my mobile heater ... You see the problem?

So you'd need to have at least a few of their heaters dotted here and there if you want your property to be reasonably comfortable throughout. And at the prices IW sell them for, that's not small change!

Personally, I've never had any issues with my central heating set up. Rads in each room, with TRVs attached so I can control each one. The boiler only comes on when needed i.e. it's not literally on 24/7. So if I choose to only heat one room I can, equally I can ensure all rooms will be at the very least not cold. Cause I'm not sure if it's just me, but I sometimes move FROM ROOM TO ROOM!

Muppets.

Latest posts

Back