Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

He tells a story about meeting KR outside a jewellers 30 years ago. Another story is working with him on TV for 30 years.

Did KR supply Bid up?

I don't know about bid tv, don't know what they sold watch wise.

Ok sorry if this is long winded, but the watch folk will understand and I hope you will too. :)

Reynolds (and his wife) present company is Watchbase ltd, they started in 2004. doesn't look like they did much business till approx 2015, i'm assuming round this time is his connection with IW, and his business has grown faster since then. was involved with a few other companies but they are dissolved now, but nothing to suggest he has been involved in TV for 30 years.
If, as he claims, he's been in the watch business for 40 years, most of that i'm guessing wasn't in any significant capacity.
I'm posting a video from 4 years ago, was made by the American VE distributor, R2A watches (sell on TV and web), Reynolds is in the video looking round VE facilities, by the looks of it, this is his first visit to VE. But there is something very telling at 3 min 50 sec in this video and casts doubt on Reynolds as any kinda of watch expert or has 40 years of experience. Now at that point in the video he is being shown the VE watches been tested on the multifunction timegraphers (I use a weishi 1000 for my watches) for testing accuracy and any regulating that needs to be done to the movement, as the video plays on he says firstly "just the mechanical watches" then a few seconds later says "you know in 35 years, I've never known that you test so many different positions." Now for someone that has supposedly been in the trade for 40 years and hailed as an expert by IW, that's a remarkable statement to make. It may not mean much to non watch folk, but to watch collectors hearing that a watch expert was ignorant of the fact that watches were tested in numerous positions on a timegrapher is bewildering, and actually raises question marks as to the veracity of his stories.
In all honesty, listening to him talk on IW, he sound like someone who has come late to the technical side of the watch party and is still learning as he goes along, some of the comments he makes in regards to movements are quite strange, as though it new information that has just come out, but in reality watch folks have known for years.
Personally, doubt very much that he's played any significant part in the watch trade for 40 years, probably spent most of it tinkering about in the outer reaches, IMO it's just the last few years he's managed to gain a bigger foothold in the trade and is playing catch up knowledge wise, but having said that, if he has been significantly involved for 40 years in the trade then i'm shocked by his ignorance. If you've been in the trade that long and have contacts and distribution deals for specific companies, then why is he limited to just selling on IW, i would expect him to be like other VE distributors in other countries, who have a big online presence as well as TV. But of course the IW presenters & guest experts have been selling watches for years and they are all ignorant, so anything is possible. :ROFLMAO:

I'm wondering if there might be a change in tonight's show, their description of the Gorky has changed since the show I complained to ASA about, on the web they no longer mention Slava in the description, which they did before, they just say automatic watch now. :unsure:

Very interesting Hammy 👍🏻

Thank you, but I should add, that although i doubt the depth of his expertise, and he does go over board with his opinions as to quality and value probably egged on by IW, I will give him credit for being about the only watch Guest on IW that actually gives you an indepth detailed description of the watches, ie size, materials, movement etc so that potential buyers can research and make a better judgement on what they are buying unlike most of the other guests/brands.

Ah well, ASA surely haven't done anything yet, that Gorky they are saying is vintage Slava movement is the one of the watches with an NH35 in it.
Looks like I'll have to keep a recording of this show as well. :)

Bordell - "and £80 is not for a mass produced watch, this is an interesting brand with history that's hard to find, again something with a story."

Here let me help You Bordell as you seem to be struggling with the FACTS:-

A) The watch is a bog standard Chinese produced watch with a Japanese quartz movement, nothing startling, nothing special, £80 is probably very close to it's true value

B) The Brand is not hard to find, it is CCCP been on the go for approx 30 years, started life in Germany, for the past 6/7 years has been owned by Solar Time (Hong Kong) and located in Hong Kong, watches are made in China using a mix of old refurbished Slava movement, Japanese automatic & quartz movements, nothing interesting nor hard to find.

I see we're getting they can't believe these prices again, give away prices, bonkers etc.

They do realise you can 100% authentic Russian automatic watches with real history and heritage for around these prices and less.

Watching with, what I consider, real vfm:cool:
bfB5Vt9l.jpg

I was on Peter Maier's site today looking at Poljot's and in particular, Strela's, some of which I really like(y)

I got the Sturmanskie Chronograph "Ocean" Special Edition from them earlier this year, got 20% discount from them, good company to deal with.

Have one Strela, 38mm Strela 'Officer Chronograph' OF38CYGS (old pic why date and time is wrong), although got this one from Julian at Poljot24.de, another good un to deal with. :)

79. 1.jpg

Bordell - "if you've got a watch collection, I bet you don't have too many Russian watches, that's cause they're rare and hard to find and certainly not new, with a full warranty and packaging"

I don't know where to start with that rubbish. 😆

Hey Jonathan, i've 9 in my collection, all 100% Russian (Vostok x 4, Strela x 1, Poljot x 2, Sturmanskie x 2), new and in packaging with warranty, all with Russian Movements, Made in Russia by Russian brands, unlike that CCCP Chinese made & owned Russian frauds you're flogging. You're are nothing but a conman.

So in honour of CCCP wore a Chinese, sorry Russian watch today, the Poljot 'Aviator I' Chronograph with Poljot 3133 manual wind movement, took a pick during an earlier show, you can just manage to see David Fabbro and Sally Jacks in the background testing a mattress in a Dormeo show. :whistle::ROFLMAO:

View attachment 19672

Oh and a lume shot for CC. ;):ROFLMAO:

View attachment 19673
Very nice and lol at background!

Bordell - "if you've got a watch collection, I bet you don't have too many Russian watches, that's cause they're rare and hard to find and certainly not new, with a full warranty and packaging"

I don't know where to start with that rubbish. 😆

Hey Jonathan, i've 9 in my collection, all 100% Russian (Vostok x 4, Strela x 1, Poljot x 2, Sturmanskie x 2), new and in packaging with warranty, all with Russian Movements, Made in Russia by Russian brands, unlike that CCCP Chinese made & owned Russian frauds you're flogging. You're are nothing but a conman.
WHY do they insist on telling us so much of what they sell is hard to come by elsewhere ... WHHHHHY?!? Of course we know why, but do they really think we're that THICK? Millions of retailers across the globe selling literally everything but OH NO, only IW secure stock of things like eBikes and watches. I mean, even Swan & Edgar is sold across the globe in multiple high end stores. Oh wait ... ;)

Latest posts

Back