Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

So in this show, because of the current situation prices have gone through the roof.

Yet in earlier shows, the current situation was blamed for lower prices.

:unsure::ROFLMAO:

Also going on about prices watches would be if they had GTLS tubes and were Swiss made, would be over a £1000. They do realise that Luminox exists don't they.

And other brands will be coming out with them, but we're seeing these colours first with Mathey-Tissot new jumbo rolly. Again they do realise other brands have been using these colours for years.

Last edited:
Reg Varney on the new, never seen before, nobody owns, Traser - "let's have a look at the revues, first one from Gene." which is actually a revue for Mulberry Silk. :ROFLMAO: Then he asks have we got the right revue, which he says we can't find it, before Reynolds puts them out of their misery and tells them that a revue won't exist as nobody has it yet.
Things is, you can forgive Varney as he's totally ignorant of watches, but they actually put the Mulberry Silk Revue on screen as a watch revue, so what does that say about the backroom staff. :eek::ROFLMAO:

Aye Kevin, nothing like over hyping your own watches.:rolleyes:

Now time to switch over, the drone so and so is on.
I'll have you know NASA, MI5, MI6, the FBI, the FSS of Russia, Universal Studios, Pinewood Studios and Disney (to name but a few) have been in touch with IW directly to enquire about placing significant orders for these drones, such is their overall quality, hovering ability and clarity of video footage. On that last point, the 'HD cameras' can pick out an ant from 10,000 feet.

Don't say I told you, but when the next Bond movie is eventually released, look carefully at all the scenes captured from the air. Whose drones do you think they used? So perhaps think carefully about poking fun.

:)

Another watch show and yet more misleading rubbish from the baldy gimp, can they not do a show without resorting to this tactic.

Mike - "Next is a household name, when it comes to watches. First time i've seen this timepiece, but this is a Seiko."

Firstly Bermuda watches are not, never have been and never, ever will be a household name when it comes to watches and secondly it is not a Seiko watch. Just casue is has a Seiko quartz movement doesn't make it a Seiko watch.

And i like how Kevin says their own quality assured part of the factory in the Far East. Why can he not just be honest and say China.

I know it's all subjective, but jokes aside they're selling the last of the £5,000 (should be £10,000) solid gold pocket watch. I don't know enough about watches to comment on how good the MT is, however if I was in the market for one, a quick Google shows me many solid gold pocket watches (from the early 1900's and beyond) for a fair bit less than £5,000. Yes you'd have to check provenance and no, you won't be getting a lifetime guarantee, however I'd sooner opt for one that already comes with age, heritage, quality etc. And for less £££ ;)

Mike thinks the Mathey-Tissot pocket watch is the holy grail of watches for serious collectors.

Ah well i suppose serious watch collectors should ignore all the top Swiss Brands that do solid gold watches then.
Was thinking of getting a Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Perpetual Calender it's only £123,000 or the A.Lange & Söhne Zeitwerk it's only £105,200, they're obviously not in the same league as this Mathey-Tissot holy grail of watches, so i'm away to check my pennies as the Mathey-Tissot is a must have now. ;):ROFLMAO:

But hey good news, inflation has fallen a good bit in the last couple of hours. (y)

I know it's all subjective, but jokes aside they're selling the last of the £5,000 (should be £10,000) solid gold pocket watch. I don't know enough about watches to comment on how good the MT is, however if I was in the market for one, a quick Google shows me many solid gold pocket watches (from the early 1900's and beyond) for a fair bit less than £5,000. Yes you'd have to check provenance and no, you won't be getting a lifetime guarantee, however I'd sooner opt for one that already comes with age, heritage, quality etc. And for less £££ ;)
I found several IWC pocket watches for a LOT less than the Mathey Tissot, and IWC are infinitely more collectable:cool:

It's a good watch, with a good movement 6497-2, definitley a watch you could pass on etc, but if I was buying it would be because i liked it, not as an investment, most watches lose value pretty quick, only a handful of brands will keep any value or even increase in value, and Mathey-Tissot isn't one of them. I think if they started doing in house movements again that would make the watch more collectable. One thing i have notoiced is that Mathey-Tissot really don't do much to the movements, apart from engraving their name on the rotors, they are pretty bland and basic to look at, bit like Seiko. It has a sister movement the 6497-1 which is a cheaper, main differences is the bph, the -2 is 21,600 against the -1 which is 18,600 (higher bph means the second hand runs smother), the -2 also has a longer power reserve, 53 hours against 40 hrs.
Although i'm assuming it is the 6497-2 in the Mathey, the web site doesn't specify, as Reynolds has said it is 21,000 bph but there again has said it has a 40 hour power reserve, but i would be finding out which specific movement is in it before i was spending £5000 on it.

Firstly Bermuda watches are not, never have been and never, ever will be a household name when it comes to watches and secondly it is not a Seiko watch. Just casue is has a Seiko quartz movement doesn't make it a Seiko watch.
Yes I picked up on this, more cheap tack when you see it close up, or remotely close 🤔

I have absolutely no idea why he suddenly appeared in my thoughts, but he did - just as I was being enthralled by the My Pension Expert hour with the expert with the intent and rigid stare and slightly delayed (he’s going to dry up..) delivery. ‘He‘ being Steve Whatley - Mr Zhuzh himself. Checking Pikiwedia, I then realised it is 15 years next month since he died. 15 years!!

Whatever he was like in real life as a person (good or bad), he was probably shopping TV’s most memorable character I have seen in my 20 years plus of watching it. And I am sure - he was very much playing a created persona on QVC and later on Ideal World etc. I couldn’t stand that presenting style, but for some reason, he entertained me at the same time. In fairness, I could also see how much effort he put in to the shows he fronted. Never a lazy host for me. Plenty on IW now I cannot abide, but unlike Whatters, they don’t entertain, and many do just the bare minimum to get by.

Only in his mid-40s when he died, there is a sadness when I think of him now. In the early internet days of shopping telly posting, I mercilessly took the rise out of him. I suspect he probably read what I wrote, and I regret that now. Do you have memories of him?

Latest posts

Back