Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Mike tonight repeatedly asking his 'producer' how many watches will be left if everyone checked out their baskets; the answer is repeatedly either '1' or '0' yet he still reminds people about stock levels minutes after he says this...I wonder why? :)

More than one very expensive watch (by IW standards) on tonight's show therefore they must be trying to milk the collectors or they're desperate for some high profit sales, as well as MM repeatedly telling viewers that he's not pressuring them into buying despite hammering home a message of "Buy now because they're about to sell out". Indeed the IW website is still showing "Low stock" (ie. watches still available) for their very expensive £999.99 Mathey-Tissot Peseux P352 watch despite saying that there would be none left if everyone checked out their baskets so there must be lots of people not bothering and/or a rubbish stock control system they've got.

On top of all of that there's Kevin's story about Mathey-Tissot's Alberto spending the equivalent of £20,000 on some watches but surely that has nothing to do with their Peseux watch which is basically an overpriced Rolex replica that Mathey-Tissot make themselves?

A man who says he is bald and beautiful is currently on air and talking to himself. He keeps asking himself worryingly inaccurate questions and includes his first name in every one. I got called to deal with a man doing similar in the circulating area at Barkingside LT station in 1985. We removed him to a place of safety.
I'd like to send most of the presenters to a place of safety...🤭

Mike tonight repeatedly asking his 'producer' how many watches will be left if everyone checked out their baskets; the answer is repeatedly either '1' or '0' yet he still reminds people about stock levels minutes after he says this...I wonder why? :)

More than one very expensive watch (by IW standards) on tonight's show therefore they must be trying to milk the collectors or they're desperate for some high profit sales, as well as MM repeatedly telling viewers that he's not pressuring them into buying despite hammering home a message of "Buy now because they're about to sell out". Indeed the IW website is still showing "Low stock" (ie. watches still available) for their very expensive £999.99 Mathey-Tissot Peseux P352 watch despite saying that there would be none left if everyone checked out their baskets so there must be lots of people not bothering and/or a rubbish stock control system they've got.

On top of all of that there's Kevin's story about Mathey-Tissot's Alberto spending the equivalent of £20,000 on some watches but surely that has nothing to do with their Peseux watch which is basically an overpriced Rolex replica that Mathey-Tissot make themselves?

Ok, I think Kev Reynolds confused folks with his story, mentioning both the the Rolex and Mathey-Tissot as part of the lot and mentioning Paul Newman's Daytona, then mentioning replica, sort of gave the impression that this Mathey-Tissot is a replica of a Rolex, it's not, it's a replica of a vintage Mathey-Tissot, which had a similar style case design, Valjoux based movement and a similar style dial (as it was made by the same dial maker) to the Daytona. Neither the vintage Mathey-Tissot or this new one are in anyway replicas of the Daytona, some similarities but definately not replicas or the same.

The Mathey-Tissot being sold tonight is a replica/re-issue of this watch.

And while that watch sold for a high price, it should be noted that as the present owner of Mathey-Tissot that watch would be an even more prized possession, and worth paying a high price for, than it would be for the rest of us. That's a watch from the hey day of Mathey-Tissot, when they were making/customising their own movements etc, it's part of their history, so it's only natural he made sure he bought that piece of the brands history no matter the cost.
The new Mathey-Tissot is a nice/decent quality watch, I think the story mentioning the Daytona just muddied the waters, sell it on it's own merits as a replica/re-issue of a Mathey-Tissot from the 70s, which had some similarities to the Daytona, but explain the new Mathey-Tissot has certain differences to the original Mathey-Tissot, and those differences make it less similar to the Daytona than the original Mathey-Tissot was, ie the movement is different, the new one has 35 jewels Perseux P352 against the 17 jewel Caliber 726 in the original and the dial maker is different in the new watch.

I also think the story about the watch lot purchase was very confusingly worded, and that's bring charitable. It very much came across to me that the 'Rolex Daytona' look Mathey-Tissot watch for £999 was a watch bought previously at auction for £20k. Intentionally badly explained or just incompetently? It was later briefly dropped into the conversation that this was actually a replica of the original, which of course makes much more sense. Then, confusion again when the H1970 returned later with Reynolds saying: "Well, what you're looking at is a watch bought by Alberto Frigio at an auction in 2016 - Phillips the auctioneers in Geneva. Switzerland, The reserve (I have to laugh when I say it) was 5000 to 10000 Swiss francs. Poor Alberto ended up paying 23750 because people were bidding against him..." And so the misleading love-in went on. I have no doubts that unless you listened extremely closely, you would easily be of the view a £20000 watch was being offered that night at £999.99, going up to £3999.99. I would go to the ASA, but from past experience, it is a complete waste of time, with the very same transgressions you complain about returning again and again. A toothless response from a toothless organisation.

Here's an interesting video, especially if you want to start your own watch brand like a lot of the brands on Ideal world, it also gives you an insight into craftsmanship of highly skilled watchmakers, designing and assembling these high precision luxury timepieces, with excellent quality control etc etc, on a par with top Swiss Brands.
At 2.36 in the video, although it's not the best picture a bit blurry, you'll see a watch from a brand (one of Jim Clawley's brands) that IW viewers will be familiar with, it's the AVI-8 Flyboy Lafayette Chrono.

If want to see a better picture here it is IW's web site.

and for a wee bit of comparison, obviously these are not top Swiss Brands, but it does show how the lower tier Swiss brands compare to some Chinese factories, this is the assembly of the Roamer Rockshell, Noddy will have been here as Roamer and Swiss Military share the same building.

Here's an interesting video, especially if you want to start your own watch brand like a lot of the brands on Ideal world, it also gives you an insight into craftsmanship of highly skilled watchmakers, designing and assembling these high precision luxury timepieces, with excellent quality control etc etc, on a par with top Swiss Brands.
At 2.36 in the video, although it's not the best picture a bit blurry, you'll see a watch from a brand (one of Jim Clawley's brands) that IW viewers will be familiar with, it's the AVI-8 Flyboy Lafayette Chrono.

If want to see a better picture here it is IW's web site.

and for a wee bit of comparison, obviously these are not top Swiss Brands, but it does show how the lower tier Swiss brands compare to some Chinese factories, this is the assembly of the Roamer Rockshell, Noddy will have been here as Roamer and Swiss Military share the same building.

If I thought I could make £££ from it, I'd be tempted to give it a go. Market probably saturated though. Imagine if I ended up on IW pretending I was a 5th generation watch expert :)

Its a
If I thought I could make £££ from it, I'd be tempted to give it a go. Market probably saturated though. Imagine if I ended up on IW pretending I was a 5th generation watch expert :)
Watches with Barrow Boy and cheeky chappie i would watch.

That Collectables show wasn’t that last minute arranged. They mentioned about in there show previous.

Back then it was stated as ITV had some major music event which would take up some of there slot.

There was indeed a McFly programme on but I think it was about the 4th time it was on hardly major

This is why the market is getting saturated with brands that are in reality are just all selling watches that have come from a pick and mix list of features. A lot of the brands, okay some do but a lot don't, aren't putting any real effort into designing watches they are just picking from a catalogue of existing features and voila a luxury handmade timepiece with an incredible history and heritage.
A lot have seen how MVMT did it, go to Alibaba pick an existing cheap quartz watch, have your brand logo put on it, charge 10 times the price and then mount a social media campaign about a quality fashion watch aimed at young folk who haven't clue about watches, and hey presto the millions roll in.
I remember seeing a video of some guys that were trying similar and it costs a few thousand to start, even for dirt cheap watches. You have to buy a minimum number of watches, could be anything from 150 to 500, which is one of the reasons you'll see a lot of brands having mostly Limited Edition, because they are essentially buying features from a catalogue and have no control over any changes being made to the catalogue, ie they have no guarentee that when they've sold the first minimum order that they will be able to get the exact same watch again, so each watch becomes a limited edition due to the supplier circumstances rather than by the brand's choice.

Its a

Watches with Barrow Boy and cheeky chappie i would watch.

That Collectables show wasn’t that last minute arranged. They mentioned about in there show previous.

Back then it was stated as ITV had some major music event which would take up some of there slot.

There was indeed a McFly programme on but I think it was about the 4th time it was on hardly major

They do that quite often, say something like this show wasn't planned, yet it had been on their online TV schedule for the past week. They just can't stop lying. :ROFLMAO:

Mr waterless wax - "We're talking about Williams Racing Team, that's what we are talking about, you know the formula 1 guys, you know them yeah, Automotive and Williams have got together to make this."

Who the heck is Automotive?

It's actually assured product that makes it and just pay to use Williams name, same as Renault and Top Gear does for their versions of the Waterless wax that assured also make, the only thing the brands do is give approval and take the money. ;):ROFLMAO:

That’s a good deal though.

Noticed QVC had something simular yesterday and they wanted over £20.00 for 2 x 750ml.

Paul B, called the Williams deal, a Black Friday dirty dirty deal
Paul Becque looks even older today

His constant reference with an added emphasis on the word DIRTY after saying Black Friday is not very wise in the current climate in fact any climate

I also think the story about the watch lot purchase was very confusingly worded, and that's bring charitable. It very much came across to me that the 'Rolex Daytona' look Mathey-Tissot watch for £999 was a watch bought previously at auction for £20k. Intentionally badly explained or just incompetently? It was later briefly dropped into the conversation that this was actually a replica of the original, which of course makes much more sense. Then, confusion again when the H1970 returned later with Reynolds saying: "Well, what you're looking at is a watch bought by Alberto Frigio at an auction in 2016 - Phillips the auctioneers in Geneva. Switzerland, The reserve (I have to laugh when I say it) was 5000 to 10000 Swiss francs. Poor Alberto ended up paying 23750 because people were bidding against him..." And so the misleading love-in went on. I have no doubts that unless you listened extremely closely, you would easily be of the view a £20000 watch was being offered that night at £999.99, going up to £3999.99. I would go to the ASA, but from past experience, it is a complete waste of time, with the very same transgressions you complain about returning again and again. A toothless response from a toothless organisation.
Yes loved this tale, the vintage Mathey Tissot seemed very typical of similar watches of the period sharing generic case and bezel. A nice enough chrono with a sort after movement but not really the same class as a Daytona. The re-edition case/bezel seems much the same, coming out of a parts bin used by Sinn and O&W to name a couple. For me they missed a trick and should have done it, with a black dial as it would have been in the 70's, instead of recreating an aged tropic dial. The red strap didn't work for me either.🤔 but all good fun hearing them go into overdrive on this one.😃

That's a good point Jazzy. I have just looked on Wiki the history of the day (I need to get out more...).

The day after Thanksgiving was regarded in the 50s as the start of Christmas shopping season so there were bargains to get people spending.

The term Black Friday began to be used in the 80s but some retailers objected to the term. One explanation was that this until this date companies generally made a loss (in the red) but by this time they were in the black.

Whatever the origin I'm sure a better name could be used.

As regards a Black Friday "dirty" deal, that doesn't make me want to buy...😳

TJC launched a prime-like service last week (same price as Prime) In fact in explaining it they admitted it was their version of prime.

This looks like a masterstroke by them. I had noted the delivery speeds had improved a lot this year so presume they have been setting it up behind the scenes for a while, for a channel that sells a lot of different lines in a day think the sales will carry on rising (already seem big numbers today for a Monday).

I worked for Amazon way back when now they quickly realized that customers who had prime were much more likely to spend than those who didn't (hardly groundbreaking but the % was ridiculously high) So much they didn't and still don't care if people get round the monthly or annual fee such is worth to them.

This is why the market is getting saturated with brands that are in reality are just all selling watches that have come from a pick and mix list of features. A lot of the brands, okay some do but a lot don't, aren't putting any real effort into designing watches they are just picking from a catalogue of existing features and voila a luxury handmade timepiece with an incredible history and heritage.
A lot have seen how MVMT did it, go to Alibaba pick an existing cheap quartz watch, have your brand logo put on it, charge 10 times the price and then mount a social media campaign about a quality fashion watch aimed at young folk who haven't clue about watches, and hey presto the millions roll in.
I remember seeing a video of some guys that were trying similar and it costs a few thousand to start, even for dirt cheap watches. You have to buy a minimum number of watches, could be anything from 150 to 500, which is one of the reasons you'll see a lot of brands having mostly Limited Edition, because they are essentially buying features from a catalogue and have no control over any changes being made to the catalogue, ie they have no guarentee that when they've sold the first minimum order that they will be able to get the exact same watch again, so each watch becomes a limited edition due to the supplier circumstances rather than by the brand's choice.
My brand's going to be called ...

Sensational
Horology
Is
Timelessly
Elegant

And my first ad campaign will have the tagline ...

Everyone wants sh1te on their wrist

Mr waterless wax - "We're talking about Williams Racing Team, that's what we are talking about, you know the formula 1 guys, you know them yeah, Automotive and Williams have got together to make this."

Who the heck is Automotive?

It's actually assured product that makes it and just pay to use Williams name, same as Renault and Top Gear does for their versions of the Waterless wax that assured also make, the only thing the brands do is give approval and take the money. ;):ROFLMAO:
I couldn't care less if the stuff's used by NASA, I'll still only buy it if I friggin' need it!

Of course we know what they're doing, brand association. Brand A is very good cause it's endorsed by brand B. As you say, it's who actually makes the stuff that matters, not what label's slapped on the bottle.

Latest posts

Back