Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I'm wondering something off the back of a comment Peter S made last night when selling watches. Can't recall the brand however this particular watch was obviously being partly sold on its 'tough' credentials as Peter said along the lines of 'put it through its paces, bash it, test it to its limits, this thing is amazing!' I wonder where you'd be left guarantee wise if you returned a watch that had failed and it had some rough and tumble marks, grazes and scratches on it? Surely, depending on the terms of the guarantee, it could give the retailer and/or manufacturer an 'out' in terms of honoring the guarantee?

Obviously with delicate/dress watches you're not going to treat them roughly, however many of the watches IW flog are presented to us as being able to take on the world. So if you 'did' wear it when rock climbing, diving, extreme mountain biking, felling trees, breaking rocks, doing mixed martial arts and street lugeing (a typical weekend for me ;)) and it failed, I wonder where their line in the sand is in terms of acceptable wear and tear on the product?

Your guarantee for watches, any watch not just Ideal world, won't cover you for scratches, dents etc to the case you cause or even if you smash the crystal during everyday normal activities, let alone extreme activities.
The only thing you would be covered for, say in an extreme activity, is if it claiming to be a 300 mtr dive watch and it leaked like a sieve at the slightest drop of water, but that would be because of a defect rather than damage from usage.
Your guarantee will only cover things like defects in the product during construction and assembly, ie the movement stopping working, hands falling off.
Oh and your guarantee will not cover any failure to live up to whatever Peter Simon claims the watch is capable of. :ROFLMAO:

Your guarantee for watches, any watch not just Ideal world, won't cover you for scratches, dents etc to the case you cause or even if you smash the crystal during everyday normal activities, let alone extreme activities.
The only thing you would be covered for, say in an extreme activity, is if it claiming to be a 300 mtr dive watch and it leaked like a sieve at the slightest drop of water, but that would be because of a defect rather than damage from usage.
Your guarantee will only cover things like defects in the product during construction and assembly, ie the movement stopping working, hands falling off.
Oh and your guarantee will not cover any failure to live up to whatever Peter Simon claims the watch is capable of. :ROFLMAO:
Yeah, it kind of makes a mockery of the claims to an extent. This thing can take on the world, however the guarantee won't cover you if you do :)

I've sometimes thought the same about 4x4 / off-roaders. Yes they're maybe designed to tackle whatever, however the t&c's of the warranty probably have quite a few exclusions as to what constitutes reasonable use, even though they're marketed as being suitable for a trip to Mars!

So they have the Ceramic Radiators on there sale shows, so obviously havent been selling as good as they have made out.

There Sale shows are weird, shouldnt they be showing as many items at viewers each show if they want to clear stuff.

Most of these sales shows end up with the item not selling out

So they have the Ceramic Radiators on there sale shows, so obviously havent been selling as good as they have made out.

There Sale shows are weird, shouldnt they be showing as many items at viewers each show if they want to clear stuff.

Most of these sales shows end up with the item not selling out

I don't think it's a sale in the conventional way we think of sales, ie end of lines, slow moving stock reduced to clear etc, it's more just their normal routine/schedule, but with maybe a few quid off their normal reduced show prices or just the same and a big emphasis in showing their normal dearer web price products have when they are not part of shows. Personally doesn't look like much of a sale.

Hard time of the year you almost think Ideal would be better off showing repeats for the next ten days and come back again "fresh" in the new year with the health stuff

Nobody is ordering from Ideal now for xmas as it won't arrive unless you are going to a genuine sale (25%+off not 10%) seems pointless

I see we have another couple of New Wonders of Horology in tonight's collectable timepieces show, PortaS & Raul U, luxury watches from Germany.
Seemingly, when these were flogged on a German TV Shopping channel, they refer to the watches as coming from the gateway to the Saxon heart of high watchmaking, Glashütte.
But in reality they're talking about a replica town of Glashütte in the Chinese province of Tianjin. ;)

The Sales on IW and C&C are strange.

QVC are also in sell mode they say the items they have in the sale are items they haven’t got enough to air on a regular show.

IW seem to have blocked hours of Sale items for like 4 days, Currently Beldray Vac, which I’m sure was only on air last week, and now it’s in a Sale, hmm. C&C are doing the same, they had a few hours today, with New Items, at least C&C do have a few hours of bargains.

Really it’s a BS Sale, no offers just there normal Stock, with woo hoo it’s a Sale, let’s have Sale on the plasmas in the studio woopy doodah. Ideal Shopping Direct please give us a genuine Sale.

in a way sums up 2020 where not much has been genuine

Where's your Christmas spirit? In the bottle, yes I know ;)

I don't watch enough of them all to pass comment, however of the ones I have seen tbh there's none that I'd say I like in a presenter sense. Obviously in 'real life' I might find some of them to be very personable but tv wise I just can't take to them. If you forced me to give a presenter and guest, I'd say Dave Bradford although yes he's mainly C&C, and Grant the tech guy.

What I'll admit is yes, given they're on selly telly, we're probably not seeing the best side of them presenting wise, especially on a channel like IW which takes a barrow boy approach to selling.

Well at least i'll have my Christmas spirit all to myself this year. Actually it's more a New Year spirit, that bottle is usually bottomless and goes on till the body just can't take anymore. ;):ROFLMAO:

Don't watch C & C so can't comment, on the IW folk, i usually gauge folk and say would i go for a drink with that person.
Of the females on IW, probably only Kerry the keep fit lass, she usually just tells us the relevant information we would need as potential buyers without and excessive nonsense, and she seems quite nice and looks like you get what you see type of person, as for the rest, no thank you, all fake and no substance, plus i'd rather keep my eardrums and optic nerves healthy. ;)
Of the guys, probably like you, would go for Grant, although him being an Apple and WIN10 fan boy is a big minus. When I first saw Reynolds he might have been someone I would have thought of as a drinking partner to discuss watches, but the more i've watched, eh nope. The rest, well no way, probably be done for assault if i was to spend an evening drinking with that crowd. Half of them, Peter Simon, Mike Mason, Drone Guy, Reg Varney , etc are the types, you get at parties, think they're funny and entertaining and they thrive on being the center of attention, but in reality everybody just wishes the annoying ******** would just sod off, and the other half, Creepy Crawley, Me Mam, All Four Corners, Ray from the walking Dead or Mr Movie Star with an R would bore you to death, you'd be begging for someone to cut your wrists to put you out of your misery. :eek::ROFLMAO:

Well at least i'll have my Christmas spirit all to myself this year. Actually it's more a New Year spirit, that bottle is usually bottomless and goes on till the body just can't take anymore. ;):ROFLMAO:

Don't watch C & C so can't comment, on the IW folk, i usually gauge folk and say would i go for a drink with that person.
Of the females on IW, probably only Kerry the keep fit lass, she usually just tells us the relevant information we would need as potential buyers without and excessive nonsense, and she seems quite nice and looks like you get what you see type of person, as for the rest, no thank you, all fake and no substance, plus i'd rather keep my eardrums and optic nerves healthy. ;)
Of the guys, probably like you, would go for Grant, although him being an Apple and WIN10 fan boy is a big minus. When I first saw Reynolds he might have been someone I would have thought of as a drinking partner to discuss watches, but the more i've watched, eh nope. The rest, well no way, probably be done for assault if i was to spend an evening drinking with that crowd. Half of them, Peter Simon, Mike Mason, Drone Guy, Reg Varney , etc are the types, you get at parties, think they're funny and entertaining and they thrive on being the center of attention, but in reality everybody just wishes the annoying ******** would just sod off, and the other half, Creepy Crawley, Me Mam, All Four Corners, Ray from the walking Dead or Mr Movie Star with an R would bore you to death, you'd be begging for someone to cut your wrists to put you out of your misery. :eek::ROFLMAO:
Who is All Four Corners

Miss Gerrards - "this is the place to learn about automatic watches"

Really, apart from an odd special you rarely mention any technical details about a automatic movements in the watches. All you mention is rotor and mainspring, nothing about which movement in the watches.

Latest posts

Back