Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Peter on the Titanium Almaz - "Now get ready, this is the last 19 in the world, I'll say it again, this is the last 19 that are currently available anywhere in the globe."

You can say it as many times as you like but it's still not true. :rolleyes:

Here's how Bamix pronounce Bamix on their official YouTube channel:

And if you type 'how to pronounce Bamix' into Google you can play the audio answer to that question.

So WHY does the Bamix demonstrator guy insist on calling it Baymix when that's not the proper pronunciation? I caught a few mins of a Bamix show last night and it was almost lol funny, the IW presenter saying Bamix and the demo guy saying Baymix :)

Let's all sing along ...

You say Baymix and I say Bamix
You say Baymix and I say Bamix
Baymix, Bamix, Baymix, Bamix
Let's call the whole thing off!

Interesting earlier

QVC had a tunic on that was almost identical to the mudflower one Ideal are selling for 22.99 or so for 85 quid.... (infact the qvc was all poly Ideals is cotton/poly mix!)

It made me think QVC is like the BBC1 of shopping channels there will be a fairly decent amount of people who don't watch any other shopping channel but watch and buy from QVC regularly. My dads wife is one of those people who has a good job isn't the "sort of person" you would associate with shopping channels but regularly buys from QVC she rarely watches the channel but buys a lot from them online.

I can't imagine many people buy from Ideal World site without watching the channel could be wrong as ever

Kevoski - "there's only one company in the world that would rose gold PVD plate the back of a watch, that is Vostok Europe."

index1.jpg

Just a couple of quick examples

My Freddy Classic Index

Frederique Constant Index Slim Automatic FC-303MV5B4 Caliber FC-303 (12)1.jpg

My rotary, although has a display back there is a fair bit of Rose gold back to it.
Rotary Les Originales LE90007-06 (Cal ETA 2824) (9)1.jpg

That Rolley special edition has a really cheap stamped clasp, not Swiss at all 🤔
While I remember, last nights show had the boss phone in & Peter Simon still butted in 😳 does he not know he's doing it?🤣

I'm surprised all these limited edition, with a collectability that will increase ten fold due to having IW birthday date on them, haven't sold out yet. It's a mystery. :ROFLMAO:

What's also a mystery is if it's 121 made of the Mathey-Tissot, why put 221 on the back, kevoski says, neither Alberto or Igor (although don't know why he's mentioned with a Mathey-Tissot) would put a 1 in front of the 21, 121 for some reason so they called it 221, but promises only 121 will be made. :rolleyes:
I've a Mathey-Tissot limited edition of 199, they didn't make that 299.

That Rolley special edition has a really cheap stamped clasp, not Swiss at all 🤔
While I remember, last nights show had the boss phone in & Peter Simon still butted in 😳 does he not know he's doing it?🤣

the boss said it was a great show, considering it was full of bullshit that tells you a lot about the top boss. ;)

Tonight Kevski said that it was the first time Vostok had used anything other than its own colour on its logo for a corporate client (for the 21st anniversary watches), and whilst that may be strictly true it isn't the first time Vostok has used a non-standard colour for its logo since it did so for a charity watch I saw a few months back? Anyway, tonight they also showed a few brief old clips of Vostok Europe watches on Ideal World (from 2005 I think) that showed a very young Shaun next to Jamie who's now Ideal World's managing director, and I bet Shaun's gutted that he didn't do that well since then. Also most of the Vostoks they were selling in 2005 were awful-looking and reminiscent of the cut-price Chinese Shield monstrosities, so in that respect Vostok have got better even though they're not usually my cup of tea (y)

Tonight Kevski said that it was the first time Vostok had used anything other than its own colour on its logo for a corporate client (for the 21st anniversary watches), and whilst that may be strictly true it isn't the first time Vostok has used a non-standard colour for its logo since it did so for a charity watch I saw a few months back? Anyway, tonight they also showed a few brief old clips of Vostok Europe watches on Ideal World (from 2005 I think) that showed a very young Shaun next to Jamie who's now Ideal World's managing director, and I bet Shaun's gutted that he didn't do that well since then. Also most of the Vostoks they were selling in 2005 were awful-looking and reminiscent of the cut-price Chinese Shield monstrosities, so in that respect Vostok have got better even though they're not usually my cup of tea (y)

It's also very similar colour to an existing colour they use on an Alamaz. IMO it looks like an existing VE colour that being used and the story of using IW's corporate colours is just something they've made upp to make the watch sound extra special.

The IW corporate colour watch

840229_STANDARD__HDH_20210318.jpg

Alamaz

347646_STANDARD__000_20190625.jpg

Interesting earlier

QVC had a tunic on that was almost identical to the mudflower one Ideal are selling for 22.99 or so for 85 quid.... (infact the qvc was all poly Ideals is cotton/poly mix!)

It made me think QVC is like the BBC1 of shopping channels there will be a fairly decent amount of people who don't watch any other shopping channel but watch and buy from QVC regularly. My dads wife is one of those people who has a good job isn't the "sort of person" you would associate with shopping channels but regularly buys from QVC she rarely watches the channel but buys a lot from them online.

I can't imagine many people buy from Ideal World site without watching the channel could be wrong as ever
In terms of marketing approach, QVC want to promote a Sainsbury's / Marks & Spencer type vibe if we were to use a supermarket analogy. IW go for an Asda (sometimes Poundland) vibe. They both know their respective target markets There are manufacturers that make foodstuff and other products for more than one supermarket, same underlying product slapped in different packaging. The Sainsbury's one might sell for £4.99, the Asda one £2.99. Same product.

So it's not unreasonable to conclude QVC are perhaps charging more for products that are of similar (or even less) quality than some of those on IW.

I actually think the anniversary watch looks pretty good
I think that's obviously fine, boring if we all liked the same things. What gets me about the IW anniversary watches though is I personally don't think I'd want to buy a watch that commemorates the length of time a shopping channel has been in existence, even if it was a channel I really liked and bought from.

Although we've established most folk don't say 'oh nice watch, what's its history?' imagine if you were asked what the dates under the Union Jack represent ...

I think that's obviously fine, boring if we all liked the same things. What gets me about the IW anniversary watches though is I personally don't think I'd want to buy a watch that commemorates the length of time a shopping channel has been in existence, even if it was a channel I really liked and bought from.

Although we've established most folk don't say 'oh nice watch, what's its history?' imagine if you were asked what the dates under the Union Jack represent ...

It's just an Expedition N1 with a different dial and case back, same as they've done before for the Gurkhas watch etc. It's a nice colour and the smaller size of the newer expedition range is better at 43mm. But if I was buying a VE watch today, it wouldn't be one with IW over it, it would be one from their normal range.
And contrary to what IW have been insinuating, being a special edition for IW will not make it more collectable in the future, far from it, it's more likely to have a negative effect.
There seems to be this myth being built up by IW that any old watch being limited edition is somehow going to guarantee it's collectability and monetary value in future, yeah someone might want to buy it off you in 20 years time if it's still in good condition, but it will be at a fraction of the price you paid (plus servicing costs), like nearly all second hand watches.

You would also think, that seeing it was their big birthday watch, during their big birthday celebrations, that they would have actually taken some decent photos of the watch instead of the amateurish photo-shopped photo i posted above from their web site, I wonder which idiot thought it was a good idea to photoshop the the dial for the Automatic watch onto the case for the Chronograph watch? :oops::ROFLMAO:

The Vostok Europe Anniversary watches are good-looking by Vostok standards but there again my favourites are probably those, the GAZ-14 and maybe one or two of the Expedition models. Still wouldn't buy an Anniversary for the reason outlined previously as well as there being a whole raft of alternatives for your £250 that are even better-looking and more crucially don't come from Ideal World.

Just for fun, here's my rough hierarchy of watches I've seen/remember being sold on Ideal World, ranked on the basis of looks, value for money and perceived build quality (best comes first):

Roamer
Accurist (being launched on Ideal World tonight)
Sekonda
Mathey-Tissot
Vostok
Traser
Aviator
MG
Timberland
Ferrari
Maserati
Ducati
PortaS
Constantin Weisz
Earnshaw
CCCP
Gamages, sorry, Swan and Edgar
Morphic
Reign
Shield
Electricianz

I am not saying it is value or anyone would buy it for a shopping channel Aniversary specially

Actually think worth keeping around for grandsons/sons 21st probably sell a few on that angle

The Vostok Europe Anniversary watches are good-looking by Vostok standards but there again my favourites are probably those, the GAZ-14 and maybe one or two of the Expedition models. Still wouldn't buy an Anniversary for the reason outlined previously as well as there being a whole raft of alternatives for your £250 that are even better-looking and more crucially don't come from Ideal World.

Just for fun, here's my rough hierarchy of watches I've seen/remember being sold on Ideal World, ranked on the basis of looks, value for money and perceived build quality (best comes first):

Roamer
Sekonda
Mathey-Tissot
Vostok
Traser
Aviator
MG
Timberland
Ferrari
Maserati
Ducati
PortaS
Constantin Weisz
Earnshaw
CCCP
Gamages, sorry, Swan and Edgar
Morphic
Reign
Shield
Electricianz

Good idea, be interesting to see how everybody perceives the watches/Brands on IW.(y)
For me, I would on the whole go with your list with some minor changes to the top group and lower down. I would actually split the top group into two groups with one or two additions that have appeared in shows, and then you’re others groups would follow on after. Oh apart from Gamages / Swan and Edgar, they would definitely be bottom of the list. :ROFLMAO:

Again like yourself would rank them on my opinion of basis of looks, value for money and perceived build quality (best comes first, although not a lot between some of the top tier). Of course my top group also gets their spot for being actual watchmaking brands, while the Solar Time brands do belong to a watchmaking company, and some of their watches are as good as the fashion brands group, they try very hard to hide that Chinese connection, which is a big negative for me. And the second group, which there are more on IW than listed is more for the older established Fashion/High Street brands who do tend to have better quality control than a lot of these newer start up brands. Of course there’s quite a few missing from the list but just a general idea.

Top Group – Watchmakers

Eterna

Roamer / Mathey-Tissot (while Roamer are just slightly better quality at the same price point, Mathey-Tissot actually go to higher price point with a bigger range)

Sturmanskie

Aviator

Traser

Swiss Military by Chrono

Vostok Europe

Swiss Military by Hanowa

Second Group – Fashion/High Street Brands

Timberland

Police

Sekonda

MG

Third group (Licensed brands)

Ferrari

Maserati

Ducati

Invented & TV brands with fake history and heritage

PortaS

Constantin Weisz

delorean

Earnshaw, CCCP and the rest of the Solar Time brands

Last Group, out and out con artists/rip off merchants/Gimmicky

Electricianz (although not con artists/rip off brand, gimmicky watches are all show with no substance)

Morphic, Reign, Shield (all things Resultco)

Gamages / Swan and Edgar (shouldn't be allowed to sell anything, let alone watches)

Good idea, be interesting to see how everybody perceives the watches/Brands on IW.(y)
For me, I would on the whole go with your list with some minor changes to the top group and lower down. I would actually split the top group into two groups with one or two additions that have appeared in shows, and then you’re others groups would follow on after. Oh apart from Gamages / Swan and Edgar, they would definitely be bottom of the list. :ROFLMAO:

Again like yourself would rank them on my opinion of basis of looks, value for money and perceived build quality (best comes first, although not a lot between some of the top tier). Of course my top group also gets their spot for being actual watchmaking brands, while the Solar Time brands do belong to a watchmaking company, and some of their watches are as good as the fashion brands group, they try very hard to hide that Chinese connection, which is a big negative for me. And the second group, which there are more on IW than listed is more for the older established Fashion/High Street brands who do tend to have better quality control than a lot of these newer start up brands. Of course there’s quite a few missing from the list but just a general idea.

Top Group – Watchmakers

Eterna

Roamer / Mathey-Tissot (while Roamer are just slightly better quality at the same price point, Mathey-Tissot actually go to higher price point with a bigger range)

Sturmanskie

Aviator

Traser

Swiss Military by Chrono

Vostok Europe

Swiss Military by Hanowa

Second Group – Fashion/High Street Brands

Timberland

Police

Sekonda

MG

Third group (Licensed brands)

Ferrari

Maserati

Ducati

Invented & TV brands with fake history and heritage

PortaS

Constantin Weisz

delorean

Earnshaw, CCCP and the rest of the Solar Time brands

Last Group, out and out con artists/rip off merchants/Gimmicky

Electricianz (although not con artists/rip off brand, gimmicky watches are all show with no substance)

Morphic, Reign, Shield (all things Resultco)

Gamages / Swan and Edgar (shouldn't be allowed to sell anything, let alone watches)
I'd go with that list😉
Roamer still the brand from the 60's? Or re started up with just using the name? They had some nice, now sort after chronos from the 70's.
Like the comment on the Fields creations (abominations)🤮

Latest posts

Back