Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I'd go with that list😉
Roamer still the brand from the 60's? Or re started up with just using the name? They had some nice, now sort after chronos from the 70's.
Like the comment on the Fields creations (abominations)🤮

It's still the same Roamer from the olden days, it did struggle during the quartz crisis, and stopped making their own movements (which they were well known for) and concentrated on quartz watches. For some reason, they kind of disappeared in the Western markets but were still popular in the Middle East/Far East, which probably the reason they didn't fold like a lot of other Swiss Brands at that time.
With them being missing from the Western market for so long and now back for a while, a lot of folk have wrongly assumed it's just a new brand resurrecting the old Roamer name, hence have struggled a bit to build back up their reputation again.

I have a few Roamers, they were using ETA & Ronda movements, but the ETA are harder to get now so they've been using STP & Ronda more recently.

They're in the same factory/premises as Swiss Military by Hanowa.

Ideal on Trustpilot now have a shed load of bad 1* reviews mainly regarding two items.....shock horror drill all drill bits being a load of crap (still charging £4.95 p&p for a replacement) and garden bargains only sending half of what many people have ordered.

I laugh at one that has given 4 stars.

"packaging not brilliant, hopefully contents ok as not yet opened."

How can you give 4 star when you haven't even opened the package? :unsure::ROFLMAO:

It's still the same Roamer from the olden days, it did struggle during the quartz crisis, and stopped making their own movements (which they were well known for) and concentrated on quartz watches. For some reason, they kind of disappeared in the Western markets but were still popular in the Middle East/Far East, which probably the reason they didn't fold like a lot of other Swiss Brands at that time.
With them being missing from the Western market for so long and now back for a while, a lot of folk have wrongly assumed it's just a new brand resurrecting the old Roamer name, hence have struggled a bit to build back up their reputation again.

I have a few Roamers, they were using ETA & Ronda movements, but the ETA are harder to get now so they've been using STP & Ronda more recently.

They're in the same factory/premises as Swiss Military by Hanowa.
Thank you 😉 for a full and interesting reply.

All good now.

The adverts on this forum obscured your post, by placing 3 adverts in the box with your post, so it wasn't displayed.

I confess to not watching much of the shows, however the bits I saw at least the Accurist guy wasn't trying to make the watches out to be something they're not, and there weren't ridiculous RRPs.

Everybody knows Accurist and Sekonda, a high percentage from the older generations will have probably owned one at some point. ok they are not what they were back in their heydey, but have still kept a good ethos, of decent quality watches at really affordable prices for the masses.
I like the fact within seconds of starting speaking about the first watch, he actually mentioned it was a Miyota movement in the watch, within that few seconds he was already higher up the trustworthy ladder, than most of the other so called expert guests. Only one guest actually mentions what movement is in every watch he's selling and that's Reynolds, but he let's himself down when he exaggerates and provide misinformation, think he's been working at IW too long and it's rubbing off on him, but he always tells you the movement. The rest either never tell you the manufacturer of any movement or only do it with a very select few watch that have better movements, prime examples are MR Slava & Mason's 80s reminiscing buddy, they gush over the movements in some CCCP watches, but never tell you what Chinese/Japanese movements are inside the other Solar Time brands and Noddy will tell you what's inside Swiss Military watches but not what's inside the fashion and licensed brands he sells.
So to mention who's movement is in the watch straight off is a good sign for me. (y)

The Baymix guy annoys me when he says it replaces blenders, processors, mixers, grinders. It doesn't. Maybe in some cases it does but not all. I'll give you one example. Kneading dough in a mixer, can the Bamix do that? Nope. Also, can you set it to run and walk away from it for x mins as you can with a mixer? Nope.

So I accept it can do many jobs in the kitchen, however to suggest it can replace all the above is stretching it ...

Everybody knows Accurist and Sekonda, a high percentage from the older generations will have probably owned one at some point. ok they are not what they were back in their heydey, but have still kept a good ethos, of decent quality watches at really affordable prices for the masses.
I like the fact within seconds of starting speaking about the first watch, he actually mentioned it was a Miyota movement in the watch, within that few seconds he was already higher up the trustworthy ladder, than most of the other so called expert guests. Only one guest actually mentions what movement is in every watch he's selling and that's Reynolds, but he let's himself down when he exaggerates and provide misinformation, think he's been working at IW too long and it's rubbing off on him, but he always tells you the movement. The rest either never tell you the manufacturer of any movement or only do it with a very select few watch that have better movements, prime examples are MR Slava & Mason's 80s reminiscing buddy, they gush over the movements in some CCCP watches, but never tell you what Chinese/Japanese movements are inside the other Solar Time brands and Noddy will tell you what's inside Swiss Military watches but not what's inside the fashion and licensed brands he sells.
So to mention who's movement is in the watch straight off is a good sign for me. (y)
Hopefully if he's still guesting in a few months the IW curse won't have inflicted him. I'd hate to see him nodding along enthusiastically in 6 months time to Peter S saying 'this watch could easily be selling for 3 or 4 times the price, you MUST insure it!!!'

Can't say I'm surprised, however the likes of Peter S isn't the only one to bend the truth by saying 'yours for £29.99!' omitting to mention there are another 3 flexis thereafter. Was channel hopping earlier and on one of the jewelry channels a female presenter was doing exactly the same thing. Ring for £90 spread across 3 x £30 payments, however she just said 'yours for £30' completely ignoring the other £60 that needs to be paid to KEEP IT!

I get why they do this and no doubt they'd defend themselves by saying you can indeed 'get it home' for the partial payment, and yes I know the price payments are on screen, however I still think it's a bit underhand.

'This Ford Fiesta can be yours for £200 sir!'

'WOW, a brand new car for £200, and that's all I have to pay?

'Emmm, today yes ... followed by another 79 monthly payments of £200.'

'Oh, right :('

I watched a bit of the Accurist show just to see if they were as good as they used to be. Not quite 🤔 Funny thing is, I was watching a YouTube channel by ILW who did an unboxing of an Accurist calling it "A British brand cheaper than Ali express" and he took the back off to check the movement. Inside was the tiniest miyota with a big space all around it, looked really cheap. So another not for me, but a decent cheap watch for someone 👍

I watched a bit of the Accurist show just to see if they were as good as they used to be. Not quite 🤔 Funny thing is, I was watching a YouTube channel by ILW who did an unboxing of an Accurist calling it "A British brand cheaper than Ali express" and he took the back off to check the movement. Inside was the tiniest miyota with a big space all around it, looked really cheap. So another not for me, but a decent cheap watch for someone 👍

Yeah it is funny seeing small quartz movements in bigger cases, although that Accurist is only 43mm, imagine that movement in the bigger cases a lot of IW Chinese brands have. :eek::ROFLMAO:
Of course a lot of these inexpensive movements are made smaller so that they fit into both the bigger men's cases and the much smaller Ladies watch cases.
Yeah, they are definitely not what they were in their heyday, certainly not something you'd be insuring or looking at being a future heirloom. ;) I quite liked the watch ILW had in the video, fine for everyday shoppers, folks (IW probably have many viewers in this category) who know nothing about watches or have no interest in collecting watches etc, or don't know of Ali Express etc, that just wants an inexpensive everyday diver's/diver's looking watch for themselves or a gift. Nice clean finish, decent size not too big, decent enough bracelet etc, and at least they ain't pretending to be a luxury brand or spouting nonsense about ISO 6425 like Miss Precision. ;):ROFLMAO:

The Baymix guy annoys me when he says it replaces blenders, processors, mixers, grinders. It doesn't. Maybe in some cases it does but not all. I'll give you one example. Kneading dough in a mixer, can the Bamix do that? Nope. Also, can you set it to run and walk away from it for x mins as you can with a mixer? Nope.

So I accept it can do many jobs in the kitchen, however to suggest it can replace all the above is stretching it ...

he annoys the hell out of me, with not only what he says, but the way he talks to the viewers, his mannerisms, hand gestures etc. Looks like he spent a lot of time trying to perfect a performance for the cameras, all he does/says, looks and sounds so fake and calculated.
Contrast him with Jack the Chef :ROFLMAO:, Jack looks and acts like you imagine him at home, looks like he's just out of bed and looks like he'd be a real messy cook in the kitchen. :ROFLMAO:

Latest posts

Back