Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Kev's story of the Gagarin is funny, saying the original Poljot 2609 movement was too dear so they put the Poljot 2416B in it instead to get the cheaper price, so IW are selling at £269.99 + £8.99 p & p = £278.98.
Strange my Gagarin with a Poljot 2609 in cost me £278.40 from Germany, 58p cheaper and a more expensive movement. :D

Speaking of Poljot, wearing one today.

Poljot 'Aviator I Chronograph' (Ca

Kev's story of the Gagarin is funny, saying the original Poljot 2609 movement was too dear so they put the Poljot 2416B in it instead to get the cheaper price, so IW are selling at £269.99 + £8.99 p & p = £278.98.
Strange my Gagarin with a Poljot 2609 in cost me £278.40 from Germany, 58p cheaper and a more expensive movement. :D

Poljot 'Aviator I Chronograph' (Cal: Poljot 3133)
View attachment 20915
The Poljot 3133 is the Russian workhorse movement, very reliable:cool: as to the 2609, this was regarded as poor and replaced by the 2609H, with a type of incabloc protection, mid 90's I think?
Anyway, here's my 2609H in my Aviator:cool:

aviator.jpg

I see Big Kev, being rather naughty today, within the first few minutes, he said the Aviator P45 quartz Chrono is a £1000 watch, First in the world to see/work with it, IW launched the Automatic version a month a ago and Edgar has brought forward the launch of the quartz version, the brown dial would also have been launched at Basel.

£1000? What a load of rubbish, It's only listed at £450 on Aviator's own site, ok you're giving an extra leather strap, but they don't cost £550. :ROFLMAO:

As for first in the world to see and Edgar brought forward the launch, brown dial was launching at Baselworld, again an absolute load of rubbish. They've been on the market for a few years, I have the Aviator P42 Airacobra, bought it in 2018, looked at the P45 chrono at the time, but decided to stick with the P42 because is smaller, 42mm as against the 45mm of the chrono.

Very poor today Kev, you're reputation will soon be sinking to Baby Fields level if you carry on like this.

I'm sure it was a S&E show I caught 5 mins of last night or night before where the brand ambassador said the watches are fully tested for x days before they're sold ... evidently not the ones they show on IW ;)

I think it was that joker, Wang, he responsible for movement regulation and testing, but he has a reputation for cutting corners, bit of a lazy sod really. ;)

Me confused?!?

They were selling a Polti cordless vac yesterday ... but just two maybe three nights previously they were selling the exact same one and we were warned to 'buy now' as they would undoubtedly sell out.

;)

Yeah Gen said the blue was limited stock and would be gone on that show, been a few shows since and the blue is still there. :ROFLMAO:

Poljot 'Aviator I Chronograph' (Cal: Poljot 3133)
View attachment 20915
Ah the Poljot "Fortis" flieger, nice I had the PVD version till my son lost it😬😪
Yes, noticed that, with the cheaper 2416B movement, as found in real Russian Vostoks, except you only have to pay around a £100 for one🙂

I see Big Kev, being rather naughty today, within the first few minutes, he said the Aviator P45 quartz Chrono is a £1000 watch, First in the world to see/work with it, IW launched the Automatic version a month a ago and Edgar has brought forward the launch of the quartz version, the brown dial would also have been launched at Basel.

£1000? What a load of rubbish, It's only listed at £450 on Aviator's own site, ok you're giving an extra leather strap, but they don't cost £550. :ROFLMAO:

As for first in the world to see and Edgar brought forward the launch, brown dial was launching at Baselworld, again an absolute load of rubbish. They've been on the market for a few years, I have the Aviator P42 Airacobra, bought it in 2018, looked at the P45 chrono at the time, but decided to stick with the P42 because is smaller, 42mm as against the 45mm of the chrono.

Very poor today Kev, you're reputation will soon be sinking to Baby Fields level if you carry on like this.
I know it'll mean something to some watch collectors so I apologise if the following offends, however the way they bleat on about 'first to see' and 'be the first to own' or 'this was supposed to be at Baselworld' means diddly squat to me, even if I was interested in buying.

You're the first to see it. Who cares?!? If the masses are going to see it x days/weeks after, what the heck does it matter!

You'll be the first to own it. Who cares?!? Unless you're guaranteeing the first buyers will receive the first release numbers (e.g. 001, 002 if limited edition) then buying first means diddly squat surely? And with most of the brands IW sell, even if you do get watch number 001 or 002, does it really matter ;)

This should have been at Baselworld. IW, you have no idea how much I couldn't care less about that. OOOoooh, so the watch you're showing me should have been shown at a watch fair x weeks/months before being sold to the public? WHO CARES?!?!?

And as some of you point out, much of what they spout about being 'the first' isn't even accurate!

Tonight's watch show had Kevski and Shaun getting really excited over their "Swiss Military Gents Ltd Ed Charmex 1946 ETA Valjoux 7750 COSC Watch with Stainless Steel Bracelet and Extra Strap", with Kev coming out with an extraordinary statement along the lines of purchasers of watches with ETA movements emailing him to complain about their watches losing 5 seconds a day, and Kevin then said "If you want perfection" then buy this watch.

Hang on...so basically speaking Kevin's been lying to his customers about the 'prestige'/accuracy of ETA movements and you won't actually get perfection unless you're prepared to buy a £4000 watch from him? Erm...

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Tonight's watch show had Kevski and Shaun getting really excited over their "Swiss Military Gents Ltd Ed Charmex 1946 ETA Valjoux 7750 COSC Watch with Stainless Steel Bracelet and Extra Strap", with Kev coming out with an extraordinary statement along the lines of purchasers of watches with ETA movements emailing him to complain about their watches losing 5 seconds a day, and Kevin then said "If you want perfection" then buy this watch.

Hang on...so basically speaking Kevin's been lying to his customers about the 'prestige'/accuracy of ETA movements and you won't actually get perfection unless you're prepared to buy a £4000 watch from him? Erm...

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

He was pretty poor today, spoke an awful lot of rubbish and you don't need to spend £4000 to get a COSC certified watch.

He never mentions that there are different grades of ETA (and Sellita) movements, most of the ones that feature in the watches he sells will most likely be Standard or maybe at a push Elaborated grade, which is the bottom two grades, Top & Cosc being the best grades.

Losing 5 seconds a day for a standard grade ETA, which the bulk of them out there are, is ok, I'd be happy with that, it's within it's accuracy margins, which is something like, -12 to +30 seconds a day.

This is the trouble with their sales pitch they do on IW, and Reynolds is just as guilty at exaggerating, everything is high precision, top quality, fantastic automatic movements, so a lot will be expecting perfection. I'm not surprised some might be complaining when they get their watches and they are not performing as well as the sales pitch would have suggested. He often mentions Seiko movements when he's selling Vostok Europe watches and how great they are, they are good, but even they could be out quite a bit in a day, the NH35a has range from -20 to +40 seconds a day, the YN85 is -10 to +30 seconds a day, it all depends on how well it's been regulated at the watchmaker ie Vostok Europe, could be well regulated so doesn't lose /gain much in a day, just a few seconds, or could be poorly regulated and will be nearer to the outer limits of it's accuracy range.

As for COSC certified movements, even they are not perfect, very good, but not 100% perfection.

Reminds me of a joke - - - "How are you getting on with your 21 jewelled antimagnetic gold-plated titanium waterproof shockproof self-winding certified chronometer watch?" - - - - "I lost it"

Just tuned in and Mike with his usual rubbish "you can only hoover with a Hoover"

Then Peter V adds "Hoover a company name, that is a verb for vacuum cleaning"

Oops, looks like you can hoover without a Hoover Mike. ;):ROFLMAO:
This is where there's a slight problem if you sell more than one brand of a product type and rant and rave about the one you're selling at that point being the best. If it's the best, where does that leave the other brands you sell of the same product type?

This is where there's a slight problem if you sell more than one brand of a product type and rant and rave about the one you're selling at that point being the best. If it's the best, where does that leave the other brands you sell of the same product type?

It happens with every single product they sell, every single one, is the best, probably the best they’ve ever sold, better than all the rest, but only the best till the next show with a similar product from another brand.

I would say it’s should be big problem, and should automatically be raising serious questions, along with all the other rubbish they spout, about the credibility/honestly of the presenters/guests. When their subterfuge is so blindingly obvious how can you trust what they are saying about any of the products, although for some strange reason this doesn’t seem to matter much to most of the IW viewers as they are still willing to accept this dishonesty as truth and happily keep purchasing in their droves.

I should add that, while I may be questioning the credibility of the presenters/guests, I'm not actually questioning whether the products are worth buying or not, I’m pretty sure most of the products are decent enough and are at relatively good prices, but despite the products being ok and at good prices, I’ve this odd affliction that prevents me, buying from and rewarding media (look at me, ain’t I a star) con artist/liars, personally would rather reward all the honest, boring, hardworking retailers out there, even if it costs more.

PS

Just to add, that when I say most of the products are decent enough, I’m not including all the health and beauty concoctions/crap that they sell in that statement, IMO they are all a waste of money. ;):ROFLMAO:

I should add that, while I may be questioning the credibility of the presenters/guests, I'm not actually questioning whether the products are worth buying or not, I’m pretty sure most of the products are decent enough and are at relatively good prices, but despite the products being ok and at good prices, I’ve this odd affliction that prevents me, buying from and rewarding media (look at me, ain’t I a star) con artist/liars, personally would rather reward all the honest, boring, hardworking retailers out there, even if it costs more.

PS

Just to add, that when I say most of the products are decent enough, I’m not including all the health and beauty concoctions/crap that they sell in that statement, IMO they are all a waste of money. ;):ROFLMAO:
It's spooky that you've typed this, cause I kind of think the same. I was watching a bit of a watch show a few nights back and, as usual, it struck me just how much of a rapid selly telly production line it was.

Here's a watch, buy it now!
Here's another watch, buy it now as well!!
Here's yet another watch, quick buy it now!!!

All at 100 miles an hour. To me it devalues what they're selling. This might not make sense in type, however let's say IW was selling a watch I liked for £199.99. I'd sooner go into a quiet, calm retailers store to look at the watch at my leisure then, if I like it, to make the purchase. Here's the strange bit, even if the watch was more expensive (up to a point obviously!), I'd still sooner buy from the other retailer than IW.

I might not equate the same rationale to functional products such as vacuums, but with other items I'd be steering clear of IW. Their market stall approach to selling turns me right off.

Just tuned in and Mike with his usual rubbish "you can only hoover with a Hoover"

Then Peter V adds "Hoover a company name, that is a verb for vacuum cleaning"

Oops, looks like you can hoover without a Hoover Mike. ;):ROFLMAO:
Very clever, wish I'd said it:love::ROFLMAO:

Oh it’s Bev with a £20 Iron, only £5 on 4 flexis, just get it she says, it’s a cracking little Iron. Then she spends 45 minutes extolling the benefits of this fantastic iron.

Wait, wasn’t she saying the other day normal steam Irons were a thing of the past and crap and the Polti Steam generator was the way to go. :eek::ROFLMAO:

Aye Bev, you know, it's great having traits/qualities like, impartiality, objectivity, sincerity, honesty, consistency etc, just a ****** shame you possess none of them. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back