Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Without a word of a lie, I hopped on last night and Peter S was flogging the tubular garden furniture, you know, the stuff that looks very comfortable, the stuff they've been selling for close to a week if not more?

Why then, as soon as I hopped on, was Peter saying 'I'm telling ya, these are GONNA GO, check out yir baskets! Honestly, this kind of furniture just can't be got anywhere at present! How many we got left Betty? <he's told a number if indeed he's even speaking to someone but of course, we don't get to hear the number> Is that all?!? Listen, right, check out yir baskets now, these are GOING!!!'

For some reason this reminds me of their sales pitch with the eBikes. You know, the model that was 'about to sell out' for around 2 weeks :) :) :)

Ha Ha HAaaaa .....

As I say, as close to outright lying as you can get.

The con artists were at it again last night, Mason & Bordell, selling the Swiss Legend Commander watch, £1200 RRP but going for £134.

All the crap about being Swiss this and Swiss that, and bargain price, cause a Swiss automatic watch would be into the four figures.

The truth, it’s an American brand, think it’s World of Watches.com that owns the brand now, but it’s changed hands a couple of times in the last few years after SWI it’s previous owners went bust, but whoever owns them they are based in America. The watches are 99.9% Chinese made parts, probably made by Solar Time, as they have pictures of Swiss Legend watches on their HKTDC (Hong Kong Trade & Development Council) trade site for watch brands looking for manufacturers to make their watches.

It gets around Swiss Made, as they’re shipped unassembled to Switzerland, strangely a pic from Swiss Military’s Hanowa facilities assembly plant is shown on the Swiss Legend web site, and assembled and where a couple of small parts are changed in the movement, given the big difference in material & Labour costs between Switzerland and China, these small changes are enough to make the Swiss value within the watch over 60% and can claim Swiss Made, but in reality they’re really Chinese watches using a loop hole to con buyers.

This is a Swiss Made IT10 (IT stands for Inter T SA, who used to manufacture the movements, but they longer exist) according to IW.
I love posts like these - cutting through the bullshit with referenced facts. It's an entirely deceitful practice to call a watch 'Swiss Made' because it's briefly been in Switzerland during its Chinese manufacturing process. The answer is for whoever controls the 'Swiss Made' appellation to tighten up the rules regarding the amount of manufacturing or parts required before a vendor can describe a watch as being 'Swiss Made'. Problem there is that doing so benefits none of the 'stakeholders', apart from the customer, obviously - but who cares about them.

As I said before, it's a bit like meat packaging showing a Union Jack flag to, in my view, con buyers into thinking the meat is British. Look closer, and you'll often see it's come from outside the UK but is packaged within the UK, allowing them to slap a Union Jack on.

I agree with you, it's as close to out and out lying you can get. But why expect any different.
I wouldn’t mind so much if it was just a wee bit of exaggeration, but when it comes to watches, especially on IW there is no such thing as a wee bit; they throw in as much exaggeration, misinformation and outright lies as they can.

Now in the world of watches, there enough confusion as it is without IW (along with the brands representatives) purposely misleading potential buyers even further with erroneous information.

The con artists were at it again last night, Mason & Bordell, selling the Swiss Legend Commander watch, £1200 RRP but going for £134.

All the crap about being Swiss this and Swiss that, and bargain price, cause a Swiss automatic watch would be into the four figures.

The truth, it’s an American brand, think it’s World of Watches.com that owns the brand now, but it’s changed hands a couple of times in the last few years after SWI it’s previous owners went bust, but whoever owns them they are based in America. The watches are 99.9% Chinese made parts, probably made by Solar Time, as they have pictures of Swiss Legend watches on their HKTDC (Hong Kong Trade & Development Council) trade site for watch brands looking for manufacturers to make their watches.

It gets around Swiss Made, as they’re shipped unassembled to Switzerland, strangely a pic from Swiss Military’s Hanowa facilities assembly plant is shown on the Swiss Legend web site, and assembled and where a couple of small parts are changed in the movement, given the big difference in material & Labour costs between Switzerland and China, these small changes are enough to make the Swiss value within the watch over 60% and can claim Swiss Made, but in reality they’re really Chinese watches using a loop hole to con buyers.

This is a Swiss Made IT10 (IT stands for Inter T SA, who used to manufacture the movements, but they longer exist) according to IW.

View attachment 21282
Some other brands pull the same trick with their cheapers watches, like Rotary, here's the same movement in one of their watches but they call it R.1002.21
View attachment 21284
And finally here's a pic of the movement on Ali Express, called its true name Seagull ST1646, Chinese not Swiss.;)
View attachment 21285
Excellent post explaining how "Swissness" is added to what is essentially a Chinese watch👍

The Swan & Edgar guy - "and i think that 5 year guarantee is industry leading."

Eh nope, off the top of my head Roamer do 5 Year, Citizen do 6 years if you register.;)

Of course Swan & Edgar can offer a long guarantee as their watches are way overpriced and a free new replacement could be sent out, from the Chinese backstreet sweat shop, during guarantee and Swan & Edgar would still make a handsome profit. ;) :ROFLMAO:

The Swan & Edgar guy - "and i think that 5 year guarantee is industry leading."

Eh nope, off the top of my head Roamer do 5 Year, Citizen do 6 years if you register.;)

Of course Swan & Edgar can offer a long guarantee as their watches are way overpriced and a free new replacement could be sent out, from the Chinese backstreet sweat shop, during guarantee and Swan & Edgar would still make a handsome profit. ;) :ROFLMAO:
Bet they won't honour the guarantees especially up to five years down the line. I've seen people struggling with after sales service on their social media before it's deleted ( same with Gamages).
Interesting what the owners will think if they take a £100 watch for a £200 service.🤔
They never mention servicing of mechanical watches just that you never have the expense of battery changes. 🤫

That balding, bearded, lanky, messy chef - Jack, is it? The one with the car on his head? He’s just told Ryan to “Pith Off”. He was trimming his oranges at the time, but nonetheless, it was a particularly unpalatable moment. Pretty much like the cooking in general.

That balding, bearded, lanky, messy chef - Jack, is it? The one with the car on his head? He’s just told Ryan to “Pith Off”. He was trimming his oranges at the time, but nonetheless, it was a particularly unpalatable moment. Pretty much like the cooking in general.

That would've been John (I'm not a chef) Campbell who as always uses the same repetitive demos with the Bamix/peelers.
Just like every other demo whatever Ideal are selling.

Watches that should be thousands not hundreds with a £15 movement :ROFLMAO:
Yeah, that side of it (the exaggerated RRPs) gets SOooo boring. Viewers, stop and think for just a sec. IW is supposedly selling you watch after watch after watch with hundreds slashed off the 'usual selling price' and/or the RRP. Cue still image of the manufacturer website where, surprise surprise, the watches are listed at their full RRP. My goodness, how kind of IW to do themselves out of hundreds extra profit per sale, what they're doing is almost charitable.

Or ...

Could it be they're selling the watches much closer to their true retail value. I'll leave you to decide ;)

He seems to be confusing the manufacture of Ducati bikes with the manufacture of these Chinese watches:unsure: A miyota quartz is the most accurate movement in the whole wide world, to -20 secs:ROFLMAO: I think not
Wasn't paying full attention but I assumed they were talking about some form of automatic movement because I thought my £70 Pulsar quartz watch was doing badly if it drifted by more than 10 seconds a month. Also were they talking about the accuracy over a day/week/month/year? At no point do I recall a time period being mentioned.

Bunch of deceptive evil clowns the lot of them.

Also Martin at one point appeared to be bouncing off the walls with excitement; had he taken amphetamines or something? :ROFLMAO:

Plus this was the most expensive Ducati watch they were selling last night; are those marks visible on the glass under certain conditions dirt/reflections/scratches/wrinkles of a plastic protection film because at one point there appeared to be a lot of them visible. Either way it didn't look exactly like the 'premium' (haha) product they were trying to show (more like another £50 watch to my eyes).

Ducati Corse.png

Also Martin at one point appeared to be bouncing off the walls with excitement; had he taken amphetamines or something? :ROFLMAO:
One thing's for sure, he seriously needs to shave off that little tuft of hair remaining at the front! I don't get why some of us men do that ... if you're going thin on top, keeping a little island of hair at the front is kidding no one ;)

Plus this was the most expensive Ducati watch they were selling last night; are those marks visible on the glass under certain conditions dirt/reflections/scratches/wrinkles of a plastic protection film because at one point there appeared to be a lot of them visible. Either way it didn't look exactly like the 'premium' (haha) product they were trying to show (more like another £50 watch to my eyes).

View attachment 21291

I'm a bit disappointed with Ducati, to be honest with you - that their licensing is so poorly controlled that they'd let their name be put on a piece of tat like that.

Just been watching proper telly and I hopped on to IW. It's a Morphic watch show. They're selling the drum dial thingy and the brand/watch 'expert' genuinely just said along the lines of 'I've looked all over and I can't find anyone else doing something like this. It's unique.'

eh?

EH?!?

EH?!?!?

etc etc etc ...

Just been watching proper telly and I hopped on to IW. It's a Morphic watch show. They're selling the drum dial thingy and the brand/watch 'expert' genuinely just said along the lines of 'I've looked all over and I can't find anyone else doing something like this. It's unique.'

eh?

EH?!?

EH?!?!?

etc etc etc ...

Yeah, she's an idiot, I quite believe she hasn't seen that watch design before, given her comments on these shows she comes across as Horology challenged, someone with very little knowledge of watches and the watch Industry and to make natters worse, she gave the impression that this drum dial watch is a design that Morphic designers came up with, when in reality they've just taken a Chinese designed and made watch and got the Chinese watchmaker to stick Morphic's name on it.

And the amount of times she mentions and compares Resultco brand watches with high end Swiss watches/brands is now getting stupid, it was laughable at first, but now it's only confirms she either know nothing about watches or she's a con artist, personally I think she's both. ;):)

Latest posts

Back