Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

The swifts back.

Mike - "I'm going to gives you a 14 day money back guarantee and I'm going to stand by it, right."

You're giving nothing Mikey :rolleyes:, certainly not a 14 day money back guarantee, it's the Consumer Contracts Regulations for distance selling, which came into force in 2014 that makes IW, and all the other long distance sellers, provide a 14 day money back guarantee or how it's worded in the regulations "right to cancel".

The regulations state, if you order online, mail order, phone or from a shopping channel you have 14 days after you receive goods to cancel your order (with one or two exceptions, although 99.99% of IW sales wouldn't be covered by these exception) and return the goods.
They've been doing this for too long: making it sound like they're doing you a favour by simply complying with the law on distance selling. I wonder how many people actually cancel their purchase and exercise their right to receive a refund of the outward postage? Funnily enough, this is part of their '14 day money back guarantee' that IW doesn't tend to remind customers about.

Wish Reynolds would use better wording of the ETA movement availability, he keeps saying you can't get the ETA 2824 anymore, you can, it's available to any of the Swatch Group brands like Tissot, Hamilton, Mido, Certina, etc.
And, of course let’s not forget the Sellita SW200-1, so close a clone of the ETA 2824 that the parts are almost entirely interchangeable, which is very easily available to buy and still used by most Swiss makers in the low to medium segment (and some higher too!).
During the ‘run down’ period when Swatch were slowly reducing the number of mechanisms they sold to other companies, many makers (e.g. Christopher Ward) would send watches out with either the 2824 or the SW200-1 depending on what was available that day- they are just so much the same mechanism (the Sellita has 1 extra jewel, but in a fairly unnecessary position. Other than that, it’s almost entirely identical).
Of course the implication IW seem to be making is that the ETA 2824 is somehow luxurious (it sits relatively close to the bottom of their range, unless in Top or Chronometer version) and because of that it is hard to get hold of. Instead of saying what it actually is - the sturdy, reliable, workhouse movement used by almost everyone who wanted to go ‘Swiss made’ for the last thirty years or so. And some other makers who wanted to fit a cheaper-end Swiss movement into their case and charge £££s for it because of their brand name.
The only reason it’s harder now to buy is because, as Hammy says, Swatch wanted to only supply themselves.

Last edited:
Guys, me confused! I'm sure there's an innocent explanation for this.

I hopped on last night and they were selling the steel tubes with some cushions thrown on top. You know, the stuff sold as being very comfortable garden furniture. All they want for it is £499.99 so cheap as chips, not.

But, and like I say I'm sure there's a perfectly good explanation for this, a week back Peter S was SHOUTING at viewers about buying it now, very little stock left, was about to sell out, this stuff can't be had anywhere else etc etc. I think at that point they'd already been selling it for a week so that's approx. two weeks it's been for sale now.

Wait. Wait just a sec. I don't even like thinking this as surely it can't be true. Could it be that Peter was maybe bending the truth slightly? Nah, surely not. I can't believe that.

;)

Swiss Military on now with all four corners of the world Cunningham and Peter (is that spray colour on his head) Simon 🤣

Simon has said it's been 6 months, then 18 months since they've had Swiss Military, they were on a couple of weeks ago, Noddy and Shaun went through the exact same story, been ages since Swiss Military were on.

Noddy on a £259 Swiss Military Chrono - " your are not going to find Swiss Made timepieces out there, on the high street, at that price, they simply don't exist."

Really, found some quite easily and I didn't need to look in all four corners of the world either. Plus Tissot have quite a few low priced watches as well in most High Street Jewelers.

Simon has said it's been 6 months, then 18 months since they've had Swiss Military, they were on a couple of weeks ago, Noddy and Shaun went through the exact same story, been ages since Swiss Military were on.
Yeah I've noticed this sometimes with various shows i.e. not just watches. The presenter will make reference to how long it is since that brand/product has been featured e.g. 3 months and you sit there thinking 'eh, these were being sold 2-3 weeks back.' I think it's just yet another underhand selling technique to encourage the viewer to 'buy now' i.e. promote the rarity of the product being available (even though in reality it crops up every few weeks if not more.)

I've typed this before and I'm typing it again. Always remember this when it comes things being sold, whether selly telly or elsewhere.

Rarely is the company and/or salesperson doing you the favour. YOU are doing THEM the favour through purchasing their products. Part of selling, and you see this a LOT on selly telly, is how they subtlety (or often not so subtlety) try to convince you they are doing you the favour whether through exclusive deals, reduced pricing, whatever. It's all usually meaningless, engineered to make you buy from these kind people who have pulled out all the stops just for you.

Smoke and mirrors.

I hopped on to a watch show last night and thought to myself, when you actually listen and dissect what they're saying, it's often non-sensical rubbish.

Peter S was just starting to sell a ladies watch. He draped it over his wrist and started off by saying something like 'right, listen to me, a mean ... just buy this, right. Just buy it.'

WHAT A STUPID THING TO SAY

Yes, he does this time and time again as to extol how amazing the product is (sales technique), however it's still nevertheless a stupid thing to say. Hopefully there are no viewers falling into this bracket, however I picture a viewer sitting at home, watching and hearing him say this, who sits and thinks 'eh, ok then' and reaches for their credit card ... even though they have absolutely no need for the product.

After all, that trustworthy salesperson has told the viewer to 'just buy it' so they'd better do as instructed. Even though, if following this logic, they'd buy almost everything he sells, cause he says it almost every product!

I hopped on to a watch show last night and thought to myself, when you actually listen and dissect what they're saying, it's often non-sensical rubbish.

Peter S was just starting to sell a ladies watch. He draped it over his wrist and started off by saying something like 'right, listen to me, a mean ... just buy this, right. Just buy it.'

WHAT A STUPID THING TO SAY

Yes, he does this time and time again as to extol how amazing the product is (sales technique), however it's still nevertheless a stupid thing to say. Hopefully there are no viewers falling into this bracket, however I picture a viewer sitting at home, watching and hearing him say this, who sits and thinks 'eh, ok then' and reaches for their credit card ... even though they have absolutely no need for the product.

After all, that trustworthy salesperson has told the viewer to 'just buy it' so they'd better do as instructed. Even though, if following this logic, they'd buy almost everything he sells, cause he says it almost every product!

I've noticed that he's just defaulted into saying this most of the time. It smacks of supreme arrogance and laziness - that he can't even be bothered to try to sell it - just I'm telling you to buy it, so go buy it, plebs.

I've noticed that he's just defaulted into saying this most of the time. It smacks of supreme arrogance and laziness - that he can't even be bothered to try to sell it - just I'm telling you to buy it, so go buy it, plebs.
Right, listen, a mean, just buy this ...
Listen to me right, you need to buy this ...
Just buy this, yi can't go wrong ...
A mean come on, just buy this, just buy it ...

etc etc. I agree, his verbal range of different ways to encourage sales is very limited. The way he shouts, drools and spits like a demented baffoon would discourage not encourage me to buy. Still, given he's still on, we have to assume he's at least semi-popular, which perhaps says something about the average IW viewer ...

I've typed this before and I'm typing it again. Always remember this when it comes things being sold, whether selly telly or elsewhere.

Rarely is the company and/or salesperson doing you the favour. YOU are doing THEM the favour through purchasing their products. Part of selling, and you see this a LOT on selly telly, is how they subtlety (or often not so subtlety) try to convince you they are doing you the favour whether through exclusive deals, reduced pricing, whatever. It's all usually meaningless, engineered to make you buy from these kind people who have pulled out all the stops just for you.

Smoke and mirrors.

I also get annoyed when they say "well done if you got this" or "congratulations if you got this" as though you've done something special when all you've done is bought something off selly telly.

I actually laughed out loud during last nights "Swiss" watch show. Mason spouting his usual guff about a Mathey Tissot Rolly, when KR said to him, "That's a good anomoly Mike" :ROFLMAO: He meant of course Analogy:ROFLMAO: Thick as mince, or was it a Freudian slip?

Varney was saying "New & Elusive" quite a lot yesterday as well, maybe something in the Peterborough air, or maybe they're just all thick.;):ROFLMAO:

Latest posts

Back