Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I agree with all the observations regarding the dismal £20 sale. Offering products that aren’t even pretending to be good value does not bode well for this channel.

Seeing Mr Vollegbrecht pushing that miserable battery vacuum cleaner around, it felt more like a tragicomedy than a demonstration. He did his best to inject some enthusiasm into the display, but the obvious shoddiness of the product was just too much, even for this trained actor (I’m sure he was having one of those “What the hell am I doing here?” moments :confused:).

Ineffective, poor value, cheap, outdated, tacky, tired, and with a short life-span; that cheap vacuum cleaner could easily be a metaphor for the current state of Ideal World.

The clock is ticking.

Unfortunately in this day and age £20 is all some people can afford for a vacuum cleaner. I have absolutely no problem with IW products, there are loads of great items on their website unfortunately with the Bid Tv clowns some people wouldn't get that far, watching these idiots is enough to put any new potential buyers off.

Unfortunately in this day and age £20 is all some people can afford for a vacuum cleaner. I have absolutely no problem with IW products, there are loads of great items on their website unfortunately with the Bid Tv clowns some people wouldn't get that far, watching these idiots is enough to put any new potential buyers off.

I agree that there’s a market for these products, and there was no intended price/product snobbery meant by my comment. I was simply agreeing with the general consensus regarding the channel’s increasing resemblance to bid TV.

The £20 show with Simon and Vollebregt just seemed to capture a certain hopelessness regarding Ideal’s future. There appears to be a sheer poverty of imagination when it comes to their product range (as you point out), and an unwillingness to address the dreadful presentations. Hence the reference to the vacuum demo.

There were two cleaners being sold; anyone on a budget should have bought the larger mains-powered cleaner as opposed to the comically-awful battery-powered 'sweeper' I saw them demo that was presumably aimed at the impulse junk buyer (as are the majority of shopping TV products if we're being honest). A £20 'proper' vacuum cleaner should at least last until the end of the guarantee period if looked after carefully, though as always for this sort of thing for that sort of price you can get even better value if you buy carefully secondhand.

I just wish they'd bring some of the products off their website and onto the screen, to add a bit of variety to this dismal procession of the same few items over and over again. If they'd get a wider variety of items on screen - and stop giving the majority of the hours to the ex-Bid clowns - they might stop the rot. But to me, they are just Bid by another name at present. PS: I've switched over, and there's a Will and Power of Attorney Kit repeat hour on, and we're just been told the special price offer's only open until the 9th March! Er...Newsflash to IW: you're showing this on Tuesday 15th March.....Earth to IW, earth to IW...

QUOTE=shopperholic;845264]Unfortunately in this day and age £20 is all some people can afford for a vacuum cleaner. I have absolutely no problem with IW products, there are loads of great items on their website unfortunately with the Bid Tv clowns some people wouldn't get that far, watching these idiots is enough to put any new potential buyers off.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Just caught the tail end of the Will selling service with Genpleaseleave. Now, here's the thing, - just imagine PS selling it!!! Get this now, we are at the busiest part of the show - Just buy it - "WHY" - YOU COULD DIE TODAY - Just buy it.

I agree that there’s a market for these products, and there was no intended price/product snobbery meant by my comment. I was simply agreeing with the general consensus regarding the channel’s increasing resemblance to bid TV.

The £20 show with Simon and Vollebregt just seemed to capture a certain hopelessness regarding Ideal’s future. There appears to be a sheer poverty of imagination when it comes to their product range (as you point out), and an unwillingness to address the dreadful presentations. Hence the reference to the vacuum demo.

It did kind of sum up the patently obvious terminal condition of Ideal World.

We've all seen a quite drastic slide taking place over a number of months but it's now got to the point of farce and sheer embarrassment.

The drill and vacuum presentations kind of made me feel a bit sad, unlike with Bid there was a time that I really liked Ideal World and bought several items from them but it's now clear that it's like an old pet that's getting to the end of the road.

I suspect there'll come a time when the plug will be pulled and it's beginning to look as if it will be much sooner than we thought.

It really is a sorry sight :mysmilie_59:

::mysmilie_17: He'd probably know someone who bought one, died and came back to say it was the best thing they'd ever done. The only thing in Genpleaseleave's favour is that at least she didn't continually talk over the 'gang' of guest presenters who'd turned up (I've seen less people at a Mafia gathering). And of course a big "Plus" in her favour is that she doesn't discuss her bowels, either.
Just caught the tail end of the Will selling service with Genpleaseleave. Now, here's the thing, - just imagine PS selling it!!! Get this now, we are at the busiest part of the show - Just buy it - "WHY" - YOU COULD DIE TODAY - Just buy it.

I watched last night and it was Bid MkII. Why are they trying to turn it into a failure??

The Beldray Hoover, seemed impressive for £20, especially when he said it was £89.99 in the shops! But I can't find it for that! A quick search brings it up at Robert Dyas reduced from £39.99 to £29.99 with free delivery to store. It's also on ebay for £25.99. What a conman he is!

I feel so sorry for Peter Vol Au Vacuum Vent. Trying his best to present a floor cleaner (a long handled dustpan would do just as well) while that idiot's prancing about to the music and throwing and catching pillows!

Cringey, embarassing, depressing.........

Got an email back this morning regarding the email I sent them about Dirty Pervy Petes sexual innuendos that's making the shopping channel seem more like a Carry On film when that fool is on, anyway they thanked me for my input and said my comments would be looked into and passed on.........so, let's see what happens, if I was a gambling woman, I'd put money on the dirty old fart not changing.

When I e-mailed the first time to complain about him misrepresenting facts and behaving like an eejit, I got back an e-mail that burbled on about taking their customers feedback seriously and always striving to provide a positive shopping experience, yada, yada, yada, so I wrote back and told them that if this was really the case, they would address the specifics of the content of my e-mail, and not just make generalised comments. Reply was just as generalised as before, and subsequent complaints have also produced 'standardised' e-mail replies. I honestly believe they just do not care - for some reason, he's non-stick (perhaps they can't get anyone else for the money they're paying?).

Got an email back this morning regarding the email I sent them about Dirty Pervy Petes sexual innuendos that's making the shopping channel seem more like a Carry On film when that fool is on, anyway they thanked me for my input and said my comments would be looked into and passed on.........so, let's see what happens, if I was a gambling woman, I'd put money on the dirty old fart not changing.

When I e-mailed the first time to complain about him misrepresenting facts and behaving like an eejit, I got back an e-mail that burbled on about taking their customers feedback seriously and always striving to provide a positive shopping experience, yada, yada, yada, so I wrote back and told them that if this was really the case, they would address the specifics of the content of my e-mail, and not just make generalised comments. Reply was just as generalised as before, and subsequent complaints have also produced 'standardised' e-mail replies. I honestly believe they just do not care - for some reason, he's non-stick (perhaps they can't get anyone else for the money they're paying?).

Yeah H, sounds similar to the one I got. For some reason they think he's a popular "entertainer" I don't get it, I just don't get it. :mysmilie_13:

Should the worst happen at Ideal World, perhaps a privileged few will find a new career at Paul Brodel’s restaurant in Newmarket:-

Peter Simon would be a natural choice as Maître d' and ‘Menu Promoter’ (“Just buy it!”);

Chef Kinnelly seems eminently qualified for the role of Sweet Trolley Manager;

Howard is sure to find a new purpose as a Toilet Supervisor;

Peter Sherlock could become the restaurant’s only licensed Perfume Pedlar, going from table to table selling his unique-and ever so cheap-stinks;

And finally, last, and by all means least, Mike Mason’s striptease act, ‘The Mike Mason Experience’, is sure to receive a star billing (well, for hen nights at least).

I think that's selly telly talk for - your email has already hit the rubbish bin, now bu**er off!
Nothing will change, complaints seem to be fobbed off, or NOT ACTIONED.
Since the arrival of the Bid mob, IW, in my eyes has lost a lot of credibility. They are being dragged down to the lowest denominator.

It more than like has Dave, I didn't expect anything to happen, didn't last time either but at least I can say I've voiced my opinion and done something instead of just moaning about him, and who knows, if everyone did maybe they'd have to look into it, or not, who knows.

And finally, last, and by all means least, Mike Mason’s striptease act, ‘The Mike Mason Experience’, is sure to receive a star billing (well, for hen nights at least).

Mike Mason doing that would surely make everyone spew up what they have just been fed. I mean, who would want to see the yellow discolouring under his armpits and dark patches between his legs? :taphead:

It more than like has Dave, I didn't expect anything to happen, didn't last time either but at least I can say I've voiced my opinion and done something instead of just moaning about him, and who knows, if everyone did maybe they'd have to look into it, or not, who knows.

I feel the same - if you are not happy about something, it's better to try and complain to those who could do something about it... who knows, if there are enough complaints then something might get done.

I'm always surprised, given how often "proper" broadcasters fall foul of the authorities, why selly telly doesn't get pulled up more often - particularly with some of the increasingly bid-esque antics we have been seeing on IW recently. If the authorities can't do anything - why is that? Is it because they see this as a dying medium not worth expending effort on... or is there just not enough attention paid to such behaviour - by customers or the media - for politicians to say "something must be done" and draft extensions to existing legislation?

Yeah H, sounds similar to the one I got. For some reason they think he's a popular "entertainer" I don't get it, I just don't get it. :mysmilie_13:

What I don't get is why they would think their business requires a 'popular entertainer', even a real one.

And there's lies the problem. They don't seem to know what they are but I do. They're on their way out.

Does anyone else think that Digital Dan looks a cross between Ant & Tyrion from Game of Thrones?

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Latest posts

Back