Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Let me say this first of all. People, whether buying for themselves or a gift, can obviously buy whatever they want. And budget is often a consideration, we get that.

However, I must admit, if I was buying beauty stuff for the lady in my life e.g. birthday or xmas, I'd be more inclined to buy either the brand I know she swears by or, failing that, a well known brand at the prestigious end of the scale.

Might EG be just as good, as in the actual product inside the tub? Yes, of course. However it's often to do with so much more than that. This is why global brands ARE global brands, because of years of heavy investment in marketing, backed up by a decent product.

It comes back to the scene from 'The Office' where David Brent buys a Sergio Georgini jacket, attempting to emulate the cool regional manager who wears an Armani jacket. Might the Sergio Georgini product be as good? Yes. For a 10th of the price? Yes. Okay unlikely but you get my point.

But which would you rather have?

If it was that great, they would be maximising every sales opportunity that was available to make the company's future secure, ie they wouldn't limit themselves to only selly telly, they would expand into other retail outlets as well.

The fact that they don't, tells you exactly why certain brands only sell on TV channels, ie they have easy access to a mass market that is full of customers that are easily persuaded, and very suceptible to manipulation and of course Selly telly is only to willing to aid in using these tactics. Such tactics are far easier to achieve on Selly telly than face to face in retail stores, where they are more likely to face resistance not only from the customers but the retail outlets themselves.

Christ me. :eek:

Review on IW, from someone called Nigel, which they had on screen and was read out during Swan & Edgar ITV graveyard shift show.

"Attractive automatic watch Reliable put together by Hand in London ltd edition Will increase in value"

That just shows you how low IW and Swan & Edgar will sink to make a sale, both IW and Swan & Edgar know full well that review is inaccurate, wrong and not true (first part in bold) and contains a personal view which absolutely no evidence exists to hold such a view/claim, in fact the opposite is what all the evidence tells us (second part in bold).

Nigel is obviously one of those selly telly customers that are easy prey to manipulation or maybe an employee. ;)

Right, stop it you lot. Credit where credit's due. IW is selling this toy car for £54.99 plus £5.99 p&p so £60.98 all in. Their pricing is very competitive, I can't find it cheaper anywhere else, honest. I can't find anyone selling it for £39.99 and free p&p ...

Apparently this is THEE toy this year that ALL the toy shops are trying to get their hands on, Ha Ha HAaaa.

I checked just there and Rob claims on his Twitter account to be presenting a collectables show with Gary every Friday and Saturday night… in Australia no less (I’m assuming he means Australian channel online).

The mystery deepens.
Yeah it's interesting. Someone asked if he'd be doing any more collectibles on IW and he said yes if schedules allow. I know it was looked on as 'his thing', however I wonder if IW has simply wanted to mix things up a bit with those shows e.g. try different presenters to see if it further stimulates sales? The fact he's doing them with Gary on a different channel is interesting, as you say a bit of a mystery.

Review on IW, from someone called Nigel, which they had on screen and was read out during Swan & Edgar ITV graveyard shift show.

"Attractive automatic watch Reliable put together by Hand in London ltd edition Will increase in value"

That just shows you how low IW and Swan & Edgar will sink to make a sale, both IW and Swan & Edgar know full well that review is inaccurate, wrong and not true (first part in bold) and contains a personal view which absolutely no evidence exists to hold such a view/claim, in fact the opposite is what all the evidence tells us (second part in bold).

Nigel is obviously one of those selly telly customers that are easy prey to manipulation or maybe an employee. ;)
Let's be honest, you have to reckon a fair % of people making buying decisions at 00.00-03.00 aren't perhaps thinking with the clearest of heads, if you catch my drift ;)

Not saying it's definitely him but there's a Create and Craft presenter called Nigel...

I watch a lot of Create and Craft, I don’t think Nigel May would do that he is incredibly likeable but I guess u never know
On balance I think I've seen him on-air recently and let's face it it's unlikely to be a Create and Craft presenter when it's much more likely to be an employee from Ideal World (unless for some reason they;re 'borrowing' accounts for fake reviews). That is of course if they're posting fake reviews but some of their regular buying viewers are just as capable of being delusional, unfortunately.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if IW employees are frequently posting reviews Trustpilot.
I've noticed that bad reviews on Trustpilot are often quite detailed, whereas the good reviews often just say things like "great service, great products" which is pretty meaningless to me. They're the ones I suspect may be fake.

I've noticed that bad reviews on Trustpilot are often quite detailed, whereas the good reviews often just say things like "great service, great products" which is pretty meaningless to me. They're the ones I suspect may be fake.
Around 6 months ago, their Trustpilot score was truly terrible. At one stage it was 1.2 (Officially ‘bad’). Suddenly, great swathes of very short, very good reviews started to appear. And just like that, their Trustpilot rating climbed to ‘average’ and then to ‘good’.
Now I haven’t seen any great improvement in the quality of what is sold by IW, so you really do have to wonder exactly where these many positive, very short, reviews suddenly came from. Who ARE these people who believe IW offers ‘great service and great products’?

I buy a lot online, from the likes of Amazon etc, and asked to give revues to trustpilot etc. Have done a few but mostly and it's the same with the ones i do at Amazon, ie only give feedback on ordering process, delivery, packaging & if the item is as described, never give a revue or feedback for a product that i've just received or used for a few days, which a lot of folks seem to do. You need to have a product for a few months before you can give an honest and proper revue, as to quality, performance & probable longevity.
All these next day revues should be taken with a pinch of salt.

I'm confused by the way the Vostock watch with the swinging hand at the bottom that supposedly indicates twentieths of a second actually works. When the stop watch is stopped and the twentieth of a second hand stops half way how do you know if the hand is on a forward swing or a backward swing. The main second hand only seems to tick in one second increments so it's not, for example, as though when you stop the watch and the main second is past half way, the twentieth of a second hand is on its way back. BTW I wouldn't buy a watch from IW in a million years but I'm curious about this one.

I see tonight, we have another of the Fields family brands where they've acquired an old name and are claiming their history and heritage, tonight it's Mann Egerton.

You would think if you have a few brands that they would try and make them different, have their own distinctive look, but not the Fields family, have 3 brands and have them selling the same crap, just make slight changes to the dial layout and colour. Really lazy effort at <cough> designing <cough> their watches, no doubt took them 6 months to design, especially the stupid names and stories they come up with for each watch. ;):ROFLMAO:

Mann Egerton tonight

927109_STANDARD__RSG_20210917.jpg

Swan & Edgar from IW site

900366_STANDARD__RSG_20210714.jpg

And of course Gamages from their site.

GA10723-1.jpg

I see tonight, we have another of the Fields family brands where they've acquired an old name and are claiming their history and heritage, tonight it's Mann Egerton.

You would think if you have a few brands that they would try and make them different, have their own distinctive look, but not the Fields family, have 3 brands and have them selling the same crap, just make slight changes to the dial layout and colour. Really lazy effort at <cough> designing <cough> their watches, no doubt took them 6 months to design, especially the stupid names and stories they come up with for each watch. ;):ROFLMAO:

Mann Egerton tonight

View attachment 22291

Swan & Edgar from IW site

View attachment 22290
And of course Gamages from their site.

View attachment 22292

A quick look at their history and I see nothing to do with watches, although I'm happy to stand corrected if I've missed something. Assuming I haven't, this will no doubt be glossed over by presenter and brand ambassador alike. If it's Peter S, lol I can hear him now ...

HISTORY!
MECHANICS!!
CARS!!!
AIRPLANES!!!
HOROLOGY!!!!
PRECISION!!!!!
THESE ARE WORTH THOUSANDS!!!!!!
GOOD LUCK IF YOU GET ONE, PLEASE INSURE IT!!!!!!!

blah blah blah ...

I'm confused by the way the Vostock watch with the swinging hand at the bottom that supposedly indicates twentieths of a second actually works. When the stop watch is stopped and the twentieth of a second hand stops half way how do you know if the hand is on a forward swing or a backward swing. The main second hand only seems to tick in one second increments so it's not, for example, as though when you stop the watch and the main second is past half way, the twentieth of a second hand is on its way back. BTW I wouldn't buy a watch from IW in a million years but I'm curious about this one.

I haven't got one to try, so just guessing, i would assume if you press as it's on backward swing it'll stop at the 0 not half way through the swing back like does in the forward swing.
A quick look at their history and I see nothing to do with watches, although I'm happy to stand corrected if I've missed something. Assuming I haven't, this will no doubt be glossed over by presenter and brand ambassador alike. If it's Peter S, lol I can hear him now ...

HISTORY!
MECHANICS!!
CARS!!!
AIRPLANES!!!
HOROLOGY!!!!
PRECISION!!!!!
THESE ARE WORTH THOUSANDS!!!!!!
GOOD LUCK IF YOU GET ONE, PLEASE INSURE IT!!!!!!!

blah blah blah ...

It's Shaun, no guest listed, but i wonder who will be the guest as if the usual, ie Baby fields or the older guy can't remember his name, then that gives away it's connected to Swan & Edgar.

Latest posts

Back